• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Continuity Question

Volvagia

Gentlemanly Lava Dragon
First off, sorry if this thread has already been posted.
Has anyone ever noticed that if you look closely at adult Link, he has an earring? This isn't really relevant to the plot in any way, but that doesn't mean it's not interesting. How did it get there? Did Rarau get bored one day when link was sleeping in the temple? Does it just come with the Master Sword? Post your thoughts.
Also, I understand that I may be missing something totally obvious here.

Din Akera

Sniper
Good eye! well, I can give you my thoughts on it.

In the manga (don't throw things at me i know it's not cannon, I'm just giving all the info!) Link receives the earring from Impa after defeating Dark Link and completing training with her. She tells him that it is a symbol. Every Sheikah male gets on when he becomes a man. In the story it is used to show that he is ready to go off and do great things, fight great battles and save the world.

In game, there is no information that I know of as to why he has it, but I would say it is somewhat along the lines of the same thing. it is showing how he is grown up and ready to take on the world as an adult. But, in all honesty, I would say it is probably just a design choice. Looks cool and give Link a bit of spunk and personality. I don't believe it has any pertinent use or meaning.

It may be a Japanese cultural thing, but I don't know much about that.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I actually wondered that, too. But aside from just being a fashion thing for Link that Nintendo put in, I don't think there's any relevance to it.

Slightly OT, but does the TP Link have an earring as well? I've never played it although I do know you play as an Adult Link.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
According to the manga, episode 4 of adult saga named "Link vs Link". Impa gives the earring to Link as a "rite of passage for young Sheikah men"
That all i know about the earring.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Like Din said it could be something about Japanese culture but someone would have to do research to confirm or deny that. Otherwise it's just one of those minor details Nintendo throws in for the players to find (Zelda games have an abundance of these).

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Actually, the thing above about Twilight Princess might have some relevance. He also has earrings in Skyward Sword, actually. That's all of the games where he appears as an adult. Perhaps it's a Hyrulian cultural thing, where men of a certain age are given earrings. That may explain why he wakes up after seven years in Ocarina of Time and has earrings. Perhaps Rauru gave them to him because of the tradition. If it's not a tradition, then I can't really think of any real reason Rauru would have to give him earrings while he's asleep.

I know the whole thing with the manga is not canon, but it might have some degree of validity. I remember reading something saying that this manga specifically expressed a few ideas that Nintendo had that they were unable to implement into the actual game. In terms of canon, though, I don't think it specifically relates to the Sheikah, as Twilight Princess Link had no real connection to them. If Skyward Sword Link has some sort of connection to them from youth, then it's probable that perhaps it's a tradition that originated from the Sheikah, but we'd have to play Skyward Sword before we can call that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom