• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Console Gaming Vs PC Gaming

null

Attachments

• nvidia_pc_gaming_sales_growing_fast.jpg
    nvidia_pc_gaming_sales_growing_fast.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 212102-nvidiatrend2.jpg
    212102-nvidiatrend2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
PC gaming is so much more advantageous to console gaming. With a PC, you can effectively play at least 50% of console gaming (provided with todays emulators, that is). While I hate PC gaming because how good your build relies on how much money you have, I cannot deny that it's simply the better option.

Mouse gives you a lot more range than control sticks do. An FPS player with the same amount of skill using sticks versus the same player using mouse will lose more often than not; it's just in the genes of the mouse. PC gaming can make use of almost any mic, whereas consoles typically have to buy preconfigured ones. PC gaming has the benefit of easy text chat. PC has simply gorgeous graphics. Much more benefits in PC compared to console.

But...when a typical gaming PC becomes more affordable, I'll put much more consideration into it. I do not have the money, and most people do not have the money to pay for a decent PC. $700+ is nothing to all you PC enthusiasts...but to the common person? We just go to console because it's much cheaper with the same basic stuff, just very inferior graphics.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
Venti said:
PC gaming is so much more advantageous to console gaming. With a PC, you can effectively play at least 50% of console gaming (provided with todays emulators, that is). While I hate PC gaming because how good your build relies on how much money you have, I cannot deny that it's simply the better option.

Mouse gives you a lot more range than control sticks do. An FPS player with the same amount of skill using sticks versus the same player using mouse will lose more often than not; it's just in the genes of the mouse. PC gaming can make use of almost any mic, whereas consoles typically have to buy preconfigured ones. PC gaming has the benefit of easy text chat. PC has simply gorgeous graphics. Much more benefits in PC compared to console.

But...when a typical gaming PC becomes more affordable, I'll put much more consideration into it. I do not have the money, and most people do not have the money to pay for a decent PC. $700+ is nothing to all you PC enthusiasts...but to the common person? We just go to console because it's much cheaper with the same basic stuff, just very inferior graphics.

I agree with everything said above, but have one thing to add.

Modding.

Unless consoles can find a way to allow their games to be modded, PC gaming will always be superior.

Hanyou

didn't build that
As always, it's about the games.

It's damn undeniable that PCs have the widest range of legally available games. The PC is far superior to the Xbox 360, a redundant console that's pretty much an inferior PC. It's technically superior to, and offers more games than, any of the other consoles.

However, I'm partial to Japanese games, and there's not a huge Japanese market on PCs. JRPGs are one of my favorite genres, and there just aren't many options unless I have a console or handheld. Only about 10% of my library is made up of Western games, so while I'll play all of them (Portal 2, Morrowind, etc.) on the PC when possible, I still spend more time playing consoles.

So while PC gaming is arguably objectively better, consoles--especially Nintendo's consoles--remain relevant. Consoles are in danger of becoming irrelevant if they continue to be saturated with multiplatform Western titles, but I think both Nintendo and Sony have offered plenty of exclusives and Japanese games to remain important.

Saying PC gaming is "superior" seems a bit odd, given that it all really comes down to taste in games. Can I play Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch on PCs?

Last edited:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I don't like PC-gaming myself, and the only game I currently play on my PC is Doctor Who: Eternity Clock, simply because I do not own any of the Playstation consoles and have no plan to get any of them for just one title, even if it is the only title with River Song. I'm trying my best not to let my hate for using keyboard keys and the mouse to play get in the way of enjoying the actual game.

The reason I hate it is because I'm right-handed, so I have to use the mouse with my right hand, effectively forcing me to primarily play the game with my left hand as the mouse don't really do much in terms of actual gameplay. It doesn't feel organic at all, more like the opposite. Also the keyboard is not designed for gaming, for each game you are forced to memorize the position and function of random keys and hope you don't end up accidentally pressing the wrong one at the wrong time. I simply cannot stand it. A console is designed specifically for gaming, so are the controllers. It's logical, feels organic and you don't need to worry about whether your machine is good enough to play the game - because if it's made for the console, the console can play it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
A controller may be more comfortable for action games, but it's a vastly inferior control scheme when it come to first-person shooters and strategy games. For example, many FPS on PC allows for the usage of PC gamepads. The only problem is, you'll get completely pwned by the mouse users. I believe that keyboard + mouse is more natural for FPS. A controller can never match the precision of a mouse. Same for strategy games. They tried to make a Civilization game for consoles utilizing controllers (Civilization Revolution). It ended up being a stripped down port which was inferior to the PC versions of Civ.

Although you do not need to worry about system requirements when gaming on consoles, the trade off is inferior graphics and lack of customization. Crysis 2 look way better on PC than it looks on consoles.

I already mentioned this, but there do exist PC gamepads. This is the freedom on PC gaming. You can use any control scheme you want. Keyboard, mouse, gamepad, joystick, wheel, touchpad, pen tablet, etc. You don't get this kind of freedom with consoles. Putting off PC gaming due to controls makes little sense.

Not a fan of FPS and the like, so whatever advantage the mouse-aim gives you has no value to the games I play, the mandatory use of the mouse is rather a hindrance to me than anything else. And I care more about my personal enjoyment with gaming than the graphics I am given. I simply do not enjoy playing with a keyboard, and I really, really do not like playing with a mouse, I downright hate it. I tried playing my favorite game on a PC (Fable) and I hated the mandatory mouse thing so much that I stopped playing and uninstalled the game. The only game I have kept on playing despite the mandatory mouse is "Eternity Clock" and the only reason for that is that it's the only Doctor Who game with River Song in it and it's not available on any of the consoles I own.

Most new PC games let you use a controller and PC has better graphics and a smoother framerate for most games so PC gaming is definitely better for multiplatform games. The only thing consoles have over PC is their exclusives.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Most new PC games let you use a controller and PC has better graphics and a smoother framerate for most games so PC gaming is definitely better for multiplatform games. The only thing consoles have over PC is their exclusives.

The games I tend to want to play don't seem to have any controller option on a PC, but maybe my taste in games simply isn't good enough for PC-gaming *shrugs*

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I'm actually starting to become a PC gamer myself. I still think consoles are fine and dandy, but I really don't have the money to spend on $60 games (not that there are many console games that catch my eye these days), new consoles and controllers, and whatever else they might try to tack on for extra value.

Many PC games are free nowadays, and I can play them as I wish. Of course, I can "rent" console games for free, but then I only have them for a week or so at a time. I can't play them at my leisure.

Deeds

no text
I think that PC gaming generally will give you a lot better graphics and processing power, obviously. But, there's something about computers... They just always seem to be really unstable, even the ones you buy for thousands of pounds, there's always something wrong with it. If you're prepared to grit through the irritants of sending parts back for repair, then a PC is for you, but if you want a more stable and user-friendly device, then definitely Console Gaming.

I, myself, prefer the DA to a mouse. Most of my IRL friends play console gaming as well, so I'd just prefer to stick with that.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I have always been a console gamer and I think I will always stay that way as PC gaming just doesn't appeal to me...

I can see why people prefer PC gaming due to the technical capabilities, the variety of games/mods available, the much wider community and with a PC you can constantly upgrade the specs as well as get games on steam which is not only cheaper but much easier to obtain. However I just don't see the charm of playing games from a PC, I have always owned a console and I just can't seem to make that switch.

There also comes several advantages with owning a console compared to a PC! For one games get released a lot earlier and some games don't tend to even release on the PC there also comes with the complications of how PC controls work compared to the controls of a console game, as the games is meant to be suited to the console not necessarily the PC. Another point is that now with the advanced technology and innovative gaming controls, such as the Wii U I just don't see how PC can keep up to date with the way the gaming industry is moving in terms of innovation.

Both have their own perks and one cannot simlly say one is better than the other, at the end of the day it is all ablut opinion and even though a PC may seem more efficient as well as having a better technical capability, for me I will always stick to console gaming :)

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I have always been a console gamer and I think I will always stay that way as PC gaming just doesn't appeal to me...

I can see why people prefer PC gaming due to the technical capabilities, the variety of games/mods available, the much wider community and with a PC you can constantly upgrade the specs as well as get games on steam which is not only cheaper but much easier to obtain. However I just don't see the charm of playing games from a PC, I have always owned a console and I just can't seem to make that switch.

There also comes several advantages with owning a console compared to a PC! For one games get released a lot earlier and some games don't tend to even release on the PC there also comes with the complications of how PC controls work compared to the controls of a console game, as the games is meant to be suited to the console not necessarily the PC. Another point is that now with the advanced technology and innovative gaming controls, such as the Wii U I just don't see how PC can keep up to date with the way the gaming industry is moving in terms of innovation.

Both have their own perks and one cannot simlly say one is better than the other, at the end of the day it is all ablut opinion and even though a PC may seem more efficient as well as having a better technical capability, for me I will always stick to console gaming :)

This is pretty much exactly my thoughts also. I just seem to find gaming on consoles more fun than gaming on PC.

Hanyou

didn't build that
In fact, I don't see how consoles will be able to keep up with the ever-increasing raw power and advanced technology of PCs. PC also do not lack innovation. Games with 3D graphics were first created for PC (Doom). Stereoscopic 3D games were first created for PC (NVIDIA 3D Vision). Someone prove me wrong on this.

Doesn't that just kind of prove that PCs aren't inherently superior just because they have superior hardware, though? You can quote specs all you want--it won't move the Japanese market to PCs, and it won't say a damn thing about which platform gets better exclusives.

Ask me to name my 20 favorite games, and probably 4 out of those 20 (Riven, Cave Story, Portal 2, and Morrowind) will be PC games. Three of those were available on consoles fairly close to release (although the console version of Morrowind is so inferior as to not be worth playing). Shenmue, Phantasy Star, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, Donkey Kong Country 2, Harvest Moon 64, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy IV, Super Mario 64, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Pokemon Red & Blue, F-Zero, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo-Kazooie, Okami--however many of these games have become playable on PC since their release, few would argue that they are PC games.

When Doom came out, I was probably playing Sonic 2 or Aladdin on my Genesis. I was having a blast. I wasn't allowed to play Doom, but even if I had been, I probably wouldn't have found it as enjoyable an experience as most of the games in my Genesis library. I did fine without it, and frankly, I'd do fine without a good number of modern PC games as well.

You ask me what my favorite platform is, and my answer will always be the Nintendo 64, followed by the DS, SNES, Dreamcast, Genesis, etc. The PC's somewhere on the list, but it doesn't rank too high.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The Wii U is NOT advanced technology by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, it's hardware was obsolete 3 years before it was released.

The Wii U's CPU is a PowerPC 750, a tri-core processor clocked at 1.24 GHz. Compare that to a high-end gaming PC, which can utilize a processor such as the Core i7-3970X, a multithreaded hex-core 12-thread CPU clocked at 4 GHz (which can also be overclocked).

The Wii U's GPU is an AMD Radeon GPU clocked at 550 MHz with a computation power of 360 GFLOP. Compare that to a high-end gaming PC, which can utilize a GPU such as the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, a GPU clocked at 1110 MHz with a computation power of 3090 GFLOP (which can also be overclocked).

The Wii U has 2 GB of 1600 MHz RAM. Compare that to a high-end gaming PC, which can utilize 32 GB of 2000 MHz RAM.

The Wii U can output 1080p video to one display and 480p video to the gamepad. Compare that to a high-end gaming PC, which can output video to 6 different 1080p monitors, an effective resolution of 5760 by 2160.

The Wii U utilizes optical disks, which are inherently delicate and have slow read speed. In fact, the read speeds of SSD, utilized by modern gaming PCs, are on a whole different magnitude compared to optical disks.

In fact, I don't see how consoles will be able to keep up with the ever-increasing raw power and advanced technology of PCs. PC also do not lack innovation. Games with 3D graphics were first created for PC (Doom). Stereoscopic 3D games were first created for PC (NVIDIA 3D Vision). Someone prove me wrong on this.

Yeah you seem to have missed my point :/

I did infact say that spec and tech wise PC's have the potential to be much more powerful, however I was stating more about the advanced control's. Like for example how will PC's be able to replicate Wii U games? And other froms of motion control like Kinect and PS Move! This is the way the gaming industry is moving in terms of innovation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom