• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Console Games Vs. Handheld Games

Which do you like more?

• Console Zelda games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Handheld Zelda games

• It doesn't matter; I like them both because it's still Zelda

• It varies

• Total voters

LanceLercher

The White Knight Alien
I feel like if a series starts out with a handheld game, it should stay that way, and I feel that if a series starts with a console game it should stay on consoles. I feel like with the exception of experimenting to see if the two ways of gaming are compatible with a series (having one game of the opposite system type), that games should stick with the series they started with. I personally don't like the childish nature of Zelda games on handheld devices (and The Wind Waker). I feel like this betrays the original nature of Zelda games and it goes more towards Nintendo just wanting to make a buck. I'm fine with changes in a series, but I don't like radical overhauls that are seen in the handheld games. I am probably one of the few who think that toon Link is just a disgrace, and this artstyle isn't what I think is becoming of a game that is rated E for Everyone. I personally think that ESRB should include a rating that is "C for Children." I don't mean to offend people in saying that Children are the only ones who can play these games, I just feel like the games are made for children, and they aren't as well enjoyed by a general spectrum of all ages. I feel like an E for Everyone rating should go to a game that can be enjoyed by an extremely large audience, and isn't the typical kids game of "I'm the Cookie Monster and I like cookies." I know I am going to offend a lot of people with this post, but these are my feelings. I feel like Nintendo should bring back levels of Universal entertainment. This also goes on the other spectrum too. Although Twilight Princess is one of my two favorite Zelda games, I do feel like the T for Teen raiting isn't becoming of a Zelda game. I feel like Ocarina of Time was the best example of a Zelda game that balanced everything out so that it can truely be enjoyed by many kids and many adults, while still having an E for Everyone rating. The console games seem to have the E for Everyone example down (besides The Wind Waker), and this is why I like them. The handheld games are meant for a younger audience, and this is why I don't care to play them. Now, Pokemon was originally just a handheld game, and although it has childish characters and stuff, I have always liked it because it has stayed so much closer to its original intention. I think Nintendo messed up by trying to put some of the games on Gamecube and Wii. Anyways, I'm getting off topic. Edit: I don't hate everything about the handheld Zeldas, because there are some really cool things in them, I just don't like their overall appearance.

I know you have a lot of hating to do against me, but I would like to know other things please. So, do you like the handheld Zelda games more or the console games more? Do you feel like there are any fundamental differences between the handheld and console Zelda games? Does it matter that Zelda has both console and hanheld games? What is your age, just for reference? What makes one type of Zelda game better than the other, or are they equal? Why is it that Nintendo makes as many handheld games, when all of the console games (except Majora's Mask) have surpassed the sales of handheld ones? Is the entire Zelda series, with the obvious exception of Twilight Princess, really meant to be E for everyone, or is the mature audience being discriminated against?

Please answer only the questions above.

Last edited:

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Console Games when I feel like playing them and when I am home

Handhelds when I am at home and feel like playinbg them, or when I am not home.

D

Darkrayelf

I'm not a big fan of the handheld games, although I do play them occationally. I want to see more realistic graphics, which is what you can get on a console version of Zelda.

It's hard to say which I prefer-console or handheld Zelda game. Personally, both types of games have their own specific set of quirks and drawbacks. My neutrality on the matter is manifested in my favorite Zelda game ever created: Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks, and The Minish Cap. It's a near even split between the two.

The handheld games are obviously made for shorter on-the-go play sessions whereas the console games require extra thought and a more observant eye to find all the secrets in the larger world which the player can explore from the comforts of his or her own couch.

As I maintained before, the two types of games are largely equal and Nintendo has performed great things using stationary and mobile mediums.

The reason Nintendo makes handheld Zelda games is because there are some shorter stories which need telling and the handheld format is the proper way to do so. Also, there is a clear economic incentive in doing so. By producing one of its most renowned gaming franchises on a handheld, Nintendo is able to make a larger profit than if the sole targeted audience for the franchise was on consoles.

Twilight Princess was definitely not meant to be "E" for everyone. If titles like Okami are rated "T"then there is no reason a darker title like Twilight Princess shouldn't be. Also, Nintendo does not discriminate against the more mature segments of the Zelda fanbase. Even more light-hearted installments like The Wind Waker had their darker moments, for example the deaths of Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule and Ganondorf at the end of the game. If you get too dark, too gritty, too action-oriented, Zelda starts to lose the essence of what the franchise truly is-A fantasy world waiting to be explored by the player.

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
Easily Console games. They always seem to have been inserted with more time and energy than handhelds, and this usually makes them a lot better than their handheld friends.

I enjoy console games x9000 times more than handheld. I always find handheld sort of awkward to play. :p

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
Sure console Zelda games have more to offer, but the handheld games just started using lock on targeting (OoT3D)
I like the them both equally and whenever they announce a new Zelda game, console or handheld, I get excited the exact same.

Console games, since they are more time-consuming and therefore come with a bigger world to explore.
I also like the character designs and characters are simply more detailed on consoles.

Still, handheld games are wonderful when you're traveling a lot with the train. ;)

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
Handheld is good when your on the road and you can't bring a Consle so you can play on a Handheld. But ga SS are always more fun on the Consle since it can store more and theres nothing like the feel of the controller in your hand.

As much as I hate to admit it, I can't get into handheld Zelda games. I have beaten The Minish Cap, but that's the only one I've managed to make it through. I've started games on LA, OOS, OOA, and PH but can just never get into them.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I see no difference between the console Zeldas and the handheld Zeldas. They are just Zelda games on a different system. Nothing more. Saying that consoles are better than handhelds is like saying The Wind Waker is better than all the other Zelda games that came before it because it came out on the gamecube where as the others were on different systems. Learn to love the game for itself.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
They both have their ups and downs. Console games are usually better when is comes to hardcore in-depth gameplay. Handheld games are better for lighthearted, casual gameplay. I personally prefer console, but handhelds are fine too. If it is Zelda, it is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom