• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Console Gamer VS PC Gamer

CCG <3 Zelda

CrazyControllerGuy
Which do you prefer to play games on most, a console or on a PC? Are you both a console gamer and a PC gamer? If you play both, which is better, games on consoles, or games on PC?

Personally, while I prefer to play games on a console, I play a lot of PC games as well

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I play both but I prefer console. I prefer the feeling of a controller in my hand when playing rather than a keyboard (yes, I know I can buy a controller for the PC). My favorite types of games are ones with split-screen, so naturally I want a television to play on. The games I generally want usually come mainly on the console as well.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I've never really been big on PC games, for several reasons. Firstly it's expensive to get a computer powerful enough to play games on, secondly I prefer to use my computer for other things, thirdly I just hate controlling via keyboard (and especially the mouse... I tried playing the original Fable on my laptop just to see how it would be like to play it on the computer and it was completely impossible to play it without using the mouse and I just hated it, it felt completely unnatural for me.

I love consoles because they were built to handle the games they carry, you don't muck them up with a lot of other stuff slowing them down, the controllers are compact and much more intuitive than using keyboard/mouse to play, you have exactly the buttons you need to play and not dozens of others that have little to no function in the game itself.

For me it's consoles hands down. PC-gaming drives me nuts, simple as that.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Computer gaming has the benefits of amazing graphical display...that's about it and only if you have a GREAT PC. Otherwise you'll be stuck with a laggy piece of junk lol. I play both PC and console, but console is majority rules.

I myself love consoles more than PC, but the PC definitely is convenient. For the most part, any game is available for either retail or digital distribution -- you won't find this for most games on console until well after their release. As I said earlier, the graphics on PC are absolutely amazing; PC isn't comparable to console graphics in the slightest. But...I just cannot play with a keyboard and mouse.

I used to be able to play almost professionally with keyboard + mouse, but now my hands have gotten bigger and I'm just accustomed to controllers. Attaching an external controller to PC isn't the same as having a console that was MADE for the controller, y'know? That being said, I'd gladly buy a 360 converter so I can play all my games on PC comfortable, like CoD MW3 and so on.

So IMO consoles have benefit of controller, but PC has graphics. Games are almost universally the same, assuming only comparing PC to 360/PS3 (Wii is nowhere near in the ballpark)

Dan

I enjoy both console and PC gaming and my preferences on which I love more change all the time.

CONS of PC
Cost - It can get pretty expensive but can be cheaper if you make it yourself and isn't all that hard nowadays to do so
DRM - Digital rights management has all sorts of ways to annoy you, Only allowing you to install the game on one computer at a time to having to be constantly connected to the internet even if you're playing a single player
Games A lot of developers don't bother porting there games to PC e.g Red dead redemption, sometimes when they are ported there terrible or can take months sometimes years to get ported to the PC
Over-thinking This one is more of my trait but sometimes all I can think of is the games frame-rate and if I'll need to make more improvements to my PC

Cons of consoles
Online services Sometimes Games will loose there online support and servers will close down, which includes DLC for games that don't even have multilayer online.
Disk While I prefer physical media if that disk gets too damaged no more game for you

pro's of PC
Massive library of games - So many games on the PC !
Smooth graphics Even if there's a game you can get because your computer isn't up to it, in the future you will upgrade your computer and be able to play the game at it's best in term of graphics and framerate.
Supreme control A comment that comes up a lot is (I don't like using a mouse and keyboard) most games let you use a controller and you can emulate a keyboard via the controller with certain programs. Not to mention there's more third party controllers for the PC than any other console
RTS This genre is best on the PC because of it's keyboard and mouse, the PS3 and I think the 360 can have keyboard and mouse input yet developers never bother I know a few games that allow you to use the mouse and keyboard (unreal tournament 3)
Mods A lot of games on PC can be modded from level editors to full blown control of pretty much everything. The elder scroll games are good examples of mods.
Indie games Minecraft shows us how popular indie games can become and be taken of the ground.
Patches Pc games can be patched immediately where's I believe on the PS3 and 360 platforms there has to be a wait.
Cost A lot of the time PC games will be cheaper

pro's of consoles
Games By that I mean some games never get ported to the PC and nowadays there are more exclusives on PS3 and 360 to look forwarded to than PC
Plug in and play Although some games now need to be installed you can slip the disk in and play most of the time.
No worry's You need to worry if the game will run or not of course sine there built for the hardware
'Couch co-op' I know pc can do split-screen however now-days a lot of developers don't use it. Borderlands for instance on pc didn't include it,Yet the console version did but still retained lan and online. Choice in my opinion is better. split-screen is great since you or your friend don't need to buy another copy and with bigger screens split-screen doesn't seem all that bad, Nothing beats couch co-op imo :D
Bigger screen Now some may argue they have there computer set up on there huge 52 inch tv screen others don't. I don't think the majority have there pc hooked up to huge tvs and it's far more common that the game system is

Now the cons and pro's were all thought up that the users was a law abiding citizen and didn't put emulators on there PC systems or Game consoles ;)

At the end of the day it doesn't matter as long as the gamer has fun the console/PC achieved it's purpose.

I think there both great but sometimes I can't help think think that both systems will suffer with some of the ******** the gaming industry has been throwing in our faces such as greedy on disk dlc and restricting with what we are allowed to do with the game once we have purchased it.

For the most part I prefer console games, because I like having the box and manual on the shelf, and it's easier to just pop in the disc and start playing right away.

For certain games though I prefer the PC. Strategy games for example, and games like Skyrim which really add endless content with mods.

pit0010

GAME IT LIFE IS TO SHORT
ok....now...i really have to say this...

I prefer console gaming over pc. no offence...I REALLY DISLIKE PC GAMING

The keyboard is not suited for gaming. and your would have to do lots of system updates for gaming and blah blah...so on.
experiencing an action game is better on a bigger screen. and MULTIPLAYERS! playing games with friends is much better on tv, not computer screen. people would have to crowd around a puny screen when playing multiplayer...not fun.

BUT! there are particular games that can be good on pc. just havent found them yet.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The keyboard is not suited for gaming. and your would have to do lots of system updates for gaming and blah blah...so on.
experiencing an action game is better on a bigger screen. and MULTIPLAYERS! playing games with friends is much better on tv, not computer screen. people would have to crowd around a puny screen when playing multiplayer...not fun.
Certain kinds of gaming (mostly RTS) are definitely suited for gaming :D
That's subjective. You can hook up most modern PCs to TVs -- just look at the people who play World of Warcraft seriously; they play on like 3x 48 inch LED HDTVs!! But you're right about multiplayer...but split screen is dying anyway. Unfortunate, but it's happening day by day.

Dan

Certain kinds of gaming (mostly RTS) are definitely suited for gaming :D
That's subjective. You can hook up most modern PCs to TVs -- just look at the people who play World of Warcraft seriously; they play on like 3x 48 inch LED HDTVs!! But you're right about multiplayer...but split screen is dying anyway. Unfortunate, but it's happening day by day.

LAN parties !
Keyboard can be used just as easily and I have no issue with using one with most games. Except for perhaps fighters. You can easily hit a number of buttons without it being an issue, getting a mouse with more than 2 buttons is good for gaming as well.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I enjoy both console and PC gaming and my preferences on which I love more change all the time.

CONS of PC
Cost - It can get pretty expensive but can be cheaper if you make it yourself and isn't all that hard nowadays to do so
DRM - Digital rights management has all sorts of ways to annoy you, Only allowing you to install the game on one computer at a time to having to be constantly connected to the internet even if you're playing a single player
Games A lot of developers don't bother porting there games to PC e.g Red dead redemption, sometimes when they are ported there terrible or can take months sometimes years to get ported to the PC
Over-thinking This one is more of my trait but sometimes all I can think of is the games frame-rate and if I'll need to make more improvements to my PC

The first two are a serious problem for me. Even the less expensive custom PC is still too expensive for my budget. And the rampant DRM makes it difficult to even play PC games. You either have to keep the disk in (which wears out the disk and adds to more heating issues), or if it's a digital download you often have to maintain a constant internet connection, even if the game has zero online interactivity. Just as you have said here.
DRM is getting to the area of being ridiculously paranoid and is only making pirating problems worse.
The other two cons here I don't have as much issue with. At least compared to the first two.

With the cost and DRM, I've really fallen out of touch with PC gaming. It's just... too much hassle to just have fun. Ruins the point of gaming.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
PC gaming has its up and downs, but for me Consoles are preferred. First off, with a PC, you get errors that kick you out of your game. To get even get a decent system to play PC games you are going to have to shell out well over $800 while a decent console will hardly ever be more than half that price. There are advantages, like the ability to change your graphics and get a faster processor but consoles are still my thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom