• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Conquer Hyrule As Ganondorf

G

Goron Guru

Here's an idea: Why not have a Zelda game where you play as Ganondorf? How often do you have a game played from the villain's perspective? You could control minions, terrorize townsfolk and corrupt temples and provinces. Then as a final boss, you have to fight Link. Perhaps on the same game you can play as Link as well. What do you guys think?

That's quite the interesting concept. The only problem I can think of is, what exactly would you have to do if you were Ganondorf? There would be no need to go through dungeons. Which is one of the main features of most Zelda titles. And even if you did, it would be mostly to hide treasures and key-items, or place monsters/guardians.

The only thing I can really think of is having Ganondorf going around and whooping on civilians. xD
An old school beat-em-up. With todays graphics.

I don't even think Ganondorf does much fighting. Nothing significant or game worthy anyways. But that is just pure speculation.

G

Goron Guru

True... I don't have a clue what you would do as Ganondorf either XD

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I think it could be cool as a Real Time Strategy game...like a Starcraft sort of game in the Zelda universe...

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
That's quite the interesting concept. The only problem I can think of is, what exactly would you have to do if you were Ganondorf? There would be no need to go through dungeons. Which is one of the main features of most Zelda titles. And even if you did, it would be mostly to hide treasures and key-items, or place monsters/guardians.

The only thing I can really think of is having Ganondorf going around and whooping on civilians. xD
An old school beat-em-up. With todays graphics.

I don't even think Ganondorf does much fighting. Nothing significant or game worthy anyways. But that is just pure speculation.

Here's an idea. Of course, it would make it the darkest Legend of Zelda game EVER.

Ganondorf does have to go to the temples/dungeons/labrynths in order to conquest. You know how Link fights through them killing evil creatures, dodging traps and trying to cleanse the temple? In a Ganondorf-centered game, old Ganny would have to go through the temples before they are corrupt in order *to corrupt* them. That is, he'd fight holy creatures, guardians of the temple, sacred creatures and spirits. He'd have to dodge traps, as well, as I'm sure most of them were always in place in order to protect ultra-sacred treasures and other things. At the end, the boss is whatever grand guardian spirit or Sage is ensconced in that temple - that which the people pray to. So, at the end of a given temple, Ganondorf's goal is to murder the Sage/corrupt the Guardian, after which he replaces said with some evil creature of his (it could be almost like placing the crystals in the statues in AoL).

Ganondorf can take a real hands-on approach to his conquest of Hyrule in such a game. However, I think by its very nature, such a game would be the darkest chapter among Zelda games, because... well, it's Ganondorf and his goal isn't to save people, but to conquer them, and it would require a lot of murder.

Here's an idea. Of course, it would make it the darkest Legend of Zelda game EVER.

Ganondorf does have to go to the temples/dungeons/labrynths in order to conquest. You know how Link fights through them killing evil creatures, dodging traps and trying to cleanse the temple? In a Ganondorf-centered game, old Ganny would have to go through the temples before they are corrupt in order *to corrupt* them. That is, he'd fight holy creatures, guardians of the temple, sacred creatures and spirits. He'd have to dodge traps, as well, as I'm sure most of them were always in place in order to protect ultra-sacred treasures and other things. At the end, the boss is whatever grand guardian spirit or Sage is ensconced in that temple - that which the people pray to. So, at the end of a given temple, Ganondorf's goal is to murder the Sage/corrupt the Guardian, after which he replaces said with some evil creature of his (it could be almost like placing the crystals in the statues in AoL).

Ganondorf can take a real hands-on approach to his conquest of Hyrule in such a game. However, I think by its very nature, such a game would be the darkest chapter among Zelda games, because... well, it's Ganondorf and his goal isn't to save people, but to conquer them, and it would require a lot of murder.

I don't know. I still find it hard to see Ganondorf doing all the dirty work. He only seems to get physically involved when it could ruin his plans. (Like chasing Zelda in OOT.) I could see one of Ganondorfs minions doing that, but not Ganondorf himself. But of course, this is why you are the fanfic writer, and I'm not.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I just came up with an idea/story setup that would make this idea make sense.

The game takes place a century or two after the last Hero whopped Ganondorf's bum and got him sealed up in the Dark World/Void/wherever he gets customarily sent to. Ganondorf has just broken free, having used most of his power to do so (Triforce of Power aside). Ganondorf is still big, bad and powerful, but not as powerful as he used to be. He can command a few minions (dark creatures that come to him from out of the wilds), but he doesn't have quite the command over, nor the ability to conjure the greater beasts (at the beginning of the game).

Going through the temples himself is how he gains his power. He can only get his full power back by killiing the Sages that guard the temples and appropriating their power for his own. Now, the Sages in Hyrule at this time are *especially* strong... as in, Ganondorf cannot trust a mere dragon, or sandworm, or evil acid spitting plant or whatever to dispatch them. Only the King of Evil can match their strength.

The Sages start out as lesser to the greater as the game goes on. Say, the little Forest Sage might be the first. Her power is beyond mortal ken, but she is the least among the Sages. I imagine that the Sages don't *just* have a humanoid/standard race of Hyrule form, but have an alternate, uber-powered form you'd have to fight. For example, the Forest Sage might become something representing her element - such as a great battle-deer or a freaky Ent-like creature after Ganondorf first engages her. Upon defeating her, Ganondorf gains her power. (Perhaps represented by a little cauldron-symbol for magic much like Link gets heart containers to represent life/strength/stamina). He now has the power to go to the Fire Temple, corrupt it, and kill the Fire Sage.... and so on. He must murder all the Sages (save perhaps one - if Zelda is a Sage in this) in order to gain ultimate conquest. He gains the variouus elements/strength from all the Sages, THEN he can go for the Triforce, search for Zelda and fight Link.

And since this is a Ganondorf game, there should be an option of him succeeding, as in, in the Timeline continutiy, this game becomes the game where people in future games speak of the "fallen Hero and the extended time of Darkness."

G

Goron Guru

That... Is an interesting idea. Definitely would not have thought of that.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
That's a pretty nice concept, actually. However, there's quite clearly an established period of time in which Ganondorf goes about conquering the world- the Seven Years of Darkness in between the child and adult sections of OoT. I mean, we already know he succeeded in consolidating his rule, so a real ending is possible without messing with alternate scenarios in which Link dies. One thing that'd be fun would be actually going through the specific Temples in OoT- setting traps and vanquishing guardians as you go along. A real Zelda-style game featuring Ganondorf would pretty much have to give some sort of conquest along with progression, and the Seven Years of Darkness are the perfect fit.

When it comes to an RTS, however, there's a lot more potential for telling a story we haven't seen- namely, the Hyrulean Civil War, told of in the backstory of OoT. We know that very soon after this war (at most ten years), Ganondorf was in such good standing with the King of Hyrule that it clouded the King's judgement and allowed Ganondorf to usurp the kingdom. So, what better explanation for this than that Ganondorf was instrumental to bringing Hyrule under Hylian rule? The game not only could explicitly explore Ganondorf's childhood and backstory (the events leading up to his obsession with the Triforce, how Twinrova went from scheming manipulators of a small Gerudo boy into mere subordinates, his actual relationship with the Gerudo tribe), and tell more about Hyrule's political structure by showing how it was formed, with Ganondorf as the muscle that enforced it. Why are there only a handful of Kokiri, yet a near endless number of undead Kokiri, Stalkids? Did the Kokiri tribe leave the forest en masse to seek the Triforce in the civil war? How were the Sheikah eliminated, and were they connected with the Dark Interlopers? A Ganondorf prequel set in the Hyrulean Civil War has loads of potential.

here's an idea: like shadsie said in her first post you go to temples and kill/corrupt sages and guardians, but outside temples it's a real time strategy with various monaters as troops. (maybe even inside temples to, but in a smaller scale do to lack of space indoors)

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
You know I always wanted to play a game like that where the villan tries to take over. The closest game I played to that idea is Grand Theft Auto.

I like what allllllllll of shadsie's posts were. At first you'd think that Ganondorf just automatically takes over and becomes King of Life, but he has to go through all (well, most, since some are corrupted in the first place), and do the bad stuff himself. I think I'd like the idea, because I like what they've been doing in Mario approach lately, and that's that in most games recently you've been able to play as Bowser (maybe just Paper Mario, eh), and I love doing that. You don't necessarily do bad things, but there's a whole different set of ways to do things, Bowser can shoot flames, he can kill enemies faster. There's a whole different world that we haven't yet explored, on the complete other side. It shouldn't always be Link's side of the story, Ganondorf has just as good of one himself.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Are you kidding? This is the game I've dreamed about ever since I started playing Zelda games. :)

I honestly have wanted to go through the temples as Ganon, corrupting them and destroying everything holy, imprisoning or killing anyone who gets in my way... that would just be awesome. I'd love to go around spearing holy guardians with that trident, or the occasional blast of magic. The final boss would be Link... and he'd be almost impossible to beat.

Interestingly, it would be VERY easy to make the original LoZ into a game where Ganon conquers Hyrule. Simply change all the monsters into ranks of Hylian soldiers/peasants, claim the Royal Family created all the traps, change Link into Ganon, replace all the Old Men and merchants with Moblins and witches, change Spectacle Rock into Hyrule Castle, and at the end have the King of Hyrule *protecting* Zelda, kill him with Darkness Arrows or something. At the end you reach Zelda and take her Triforce piece in order to complete the Triforce of Wisdom and win the game. :)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I'm wondering if I ought to write this out as a story or create a setup for people who know the programming stuff that I do not to make a fan game...

I already have a "Lost Link" in one of my stories.

In "The Great Desert" - fic of mine, there's this whole chain of Heroes, the Link of the tale has visions of his various incarnations (the Links from past, canon games) but I created a "Lost Link" to serve as a warning. The "Lost One" is a Link that failed because he didn't take very good care of himself, let himself get exhausted, starved and sick in his zeal to go after Ganon. He was trying to save a child-Zelda and a Sage that had been cursed/turned into a cat (his companion in the journey). I even did a little painting of him - he's got black hair. Anyway, in the Timeline I had set up for the fic, the Lost One's era was set somewhere between A Link to the Past and Classic LoZ/Hyrule Fantasy. Basically, in this era, Ganondorf conquered the southern half of Hyrule and he killed the Hero rather than was stopped by him.

The story has been given a little detail in the greater Great Desert story, but I have been contemplating making a full-fledged side story fic out of it. Perhaps details of Ganondorf's conquest would be in order, too?

A Ganny game that's "The Broken Era" would be pretty neat, I think, even if it's just done as a fan-thing.

I used to be a Pokemon fan long, long ago. I'm still waiting for my "Pokemon Black," dangit! (rumored game where you could play as Team Rocket and steal Pokemon). I've fallen out of Pokemon interest, but I still want such a game... since, you know, we're talking about villan-centered games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom