• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Confusion in Skyward Sword?

Hey, Zelda Dungeon.
Guess who just finished Skyward Sword? Yup, the Hero of Hyrule. But, I'm somewhat...confused.

Now, I'm confused on a couple things, and I was wondering if I didn't catch something, or if there wasn't any in-game explanation.
The first thing I'm confused on is the Master Sword. I'm sure all of you are confused on this, also. In Ocarina of Time, Rauru said that the Ancient Sages created it....playing through Skyward Sword obviously disproved this. I guess there wouldn't be an in-game explaination for this, because it is what it is. You forged it using Din's, Nayru's, and Farore's Flame to forge the Goddess Sword gradually into the Master Sword. And this brings me to my next point, the Golden Goddesses.
Several times, the gods of old were mentioned. Are these "gods of old" in Skyward Sword what the "Golden Goddesses" are in Ocarina of Time? Or is what the Great Deku Tree, Zelda, and Sheik told you in Ocarina of Time all a myth? Was this ever explained? Or will it be added to the long list of the mystery of The Legend of Zelda series?
Next point, Hylia. Now, obviously Hyrule is named after her, but is she ever mentioned again in the Zelda series? She could've been mentioned in the Minish Cap intro, where it talks of the Hero of Men, and the Light Force hidden inside the Princess of Hyrule. But other than that, I think Hylia, the Goddess in Skyward Sword, in a Skyward Sword exclusive Deity.
Now, I guess this is somewhat confusing to me, but what about Impa? I guess the Impa we got to know in Skyward Sword was not the same Impa in Ocarina of Time, because she suddenly "dissolved".

--EDIT 1--
I want to touch again on the Master Sword. When Link kills Demise, and places the Master Sword in the pedestal in the Sacred Temple, it looks like the Temple of Time (and the layout of the Sacred Temple looks like the Temple of Time in Ocarina of Time, minus a few trees). There's even the Doors of Time there. But, when it zooms in on the Sword, it looks like the Lost Woods from Twilight Princess. The first theory is more logical, but I just wanted to touch upon that.
That brings me to another point I want to touch upon, which is the area known as The Temple of Time in Lanayru Desert. Strange, isn't it? That a whole area is named after a "temple"? Plus, with the knowledge of Ocarina of Time, it makes it even more confusing. But I guess this isn't the first time the Temple of Time has shared it's name with another area that barely has relevence to it (Twilight Princess). I guess the Sacred Temple/Hylia's Temple become a second Temple of Time, and this is the Temple we know from Ocarina of Time.

--EDIT 2--
Now, the main point of conflict in most Zelda games. The Triforce. In most Zelda games, it is believed that the Triforce resides in the Sacred Realm, which later becomes the Dark World when Ganondorf invades it in Ocarina of Time. But, in Skyward Sword, the Triforce is just laying around inside of Sky Keep, and Link has to collect the three pieces individually. Now, when the Great Deku Tree explained the Creation of Hyrule story, he said that the Triforce was were the three Goddesses left Hyrule to return to the distant nebula where they came from. But if your looking at the visuals on-screen, the head upwards, and the Triforce is left there. Skyloft is upwards, and the Triforce is located in Skyloft. Another theory comes to mind about the location of the Triforce. Maybe Skyloft is the Sacred Realm? Who knows? Let's just hope for a Skyward Sword sequel.

I guess this is all I'm confused about for now. If I think of something else that puzzles me about Skyward Sword, I'll be sure to edit this thread. But that's it for now. Feel free to post your confusions, also.

Last edited:
J

J-Biz

Hylia is essentially a sage and she is also the earliest form of Princess Zelda. Her spirit is passed on through all of the series, she has the same power Zelda does in Ocarina of Time. Whenever legend speaks of 'Sages' is could be referring to Hylia - it just so happens that she has the name Goddess in this game due to her having powers granted by the True Goddesses - Din, Farore and Nayru. If you take this to be true then as Zelda is the one who formed the True Master Sword then it was formed by Sages as well. As for the Goddesses of Old, I thought it was clear that they were Din, Farore and Nayru. I believe Impa, is also part of destiny to always be the name of the Sheikah to be Hylia/Zelda's Guard and her spirit is probably reincarnated to protect Hylia/Zelda's spirit in the future. Which is why Impa is protecting Hylia/Zelda in OoT.

However, after all this I think the best answer lies with the wise words of Fi. "Ah yes, the oral tradition, one of the least reliable methods of information retention and transmission". Every story we've ever been told in any Zelda game are stories passed down and the truth is likely not exactly as it's told.

"Ah yes, the oral tradition, one of the least reliable methods of information retention and transmission." Every story we've ever been told in any Zelda game are stories passed down and the truth is likely not exactly as it's told.
Wise words, indeed. I, in fact, have thought this many times before, even before Skyward Sword was released.

The only reason I thought that the statement: "gods of old" was confusing is because it used the term gods. That would be confusing to rookie Zelda players who, say, have only played the 3D Zeldas. But, it was clear to me, also. Just that "gods" part threw me off a bit.

Now I recall the Skyward Sword prologue:
"They did all this in their lust to take the ultimate power protected by Her Grace, the goddess.
The power she guarded was without equal.
Handed down by gods of old, this power gave its holder the means to make any desire a reality.
Such was the might of the ultimate power that the old ones placed it in the care of the goddess.
"
Hylia must have wished on the Triforce to have powers that compare to the Golden Goddesses to protect Hyrule from Demise.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I haven't gotten to the ending quite yet, but I think I can address some of these.

The first thing I'm confused on is the Master Sword. I'm sure all of you are confused on this, also. In Ocarina of Time, Rauru said that the Ancient Sages created it....playing through Skyward Sword obviously disproved this. I guess there wouldn't be an in-game explaination for this, because it is what it is. You forged it using Din's, Nayru's, and Farore's Flame to forge the Goddess Sword gradually into the Master Sword.
LttP's backstory also claimed that the Hylian Knights held Ganon back enough for the Sages to seal him, before OoT came out and depicted Link doing so instead. It's just how they like to bend the timeline around their ideas for new games. In a recent Iwata Asks, Fujiabayashi and Aonuma described how it was very difficult to make a story before OoT without tons of contradictions. In the end, they said, Fujibayashi made a good story that didn't have any of those - I think "major" was the word used, or something to that effect - contradictions. Apparently they no longer care about who exactly made the sword. It's not an important point in timeline construction. I did see something about the sages, but I'll have to wait until I finish before forming any theories about it.

And this brings me to my next point, the Golden Goddesses.
Several times, the gods of old were mentioned. Are these "gods of old" in Skyward Sword what the "Golden Goddesses" are in Ocarina of Time? Or is what the Great Deku Tree, Zelda, and Sheik told you in Ocarina of Time all a myth? Was this ever explained? Or will it be added to the long list of the mystery of The Legend of Zelda series?
Yes, the "gods of old" are obviously made out to be the same gods in OoT's, LttP's, and TP's backstories. Hyrule was founded on the power of the Triforce (I assume - again, I haven't finished, but I have the Song of the Hero). It makes sense for them to adopt the old mythology associated with it, even though they had nearly forgotten it in Skyloft. Now that they know that the legends about the Goddess are true and that she's deeply entwined with the gods of old, they'll start paying more attention to them.

Next point, Hylia. Now, obviously Hyrule is named after her, but is she ever mentioned again in the Zelda series? She could've been mentioned in the Minish Cap intro, where it talks of the Hero of Men, and the Light Force hidden inside the Princess of Hyrule. But other than that, I think Hylia, the Goddess in Skyward Sword, in a Skyward Sword exclusive Deity.
Two simple answers: the developers hadn't thought of her until now, and WW's intro (this is but one of the legends...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom