• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Confirmed! 2nd Circle Pad for 3DS

Funny thing is I rarely take my portables with me when I go somewhere so doesn;t really matter to me. And when I do I never get around to playing it.

...Why?! it doesn't need another circle pad. The layout of the 3DS is perfect.
And I certainly hope this isn't required to play other games in the future.

And another thing, I highly doubt there will be a 3DS lite, there's nothing the 3DS needs to improve on. Another reason is because it gets updated once in a while.

Last edited:

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
...Why?! it doesn't need another circle pad. The layout of the 3DS is perfect.
And I certainly hope this isn't required to play other games in the future.

And another thing, I highly doubt there will be a 3DS lite, there's nothing the 3DS needs to improve on. Another reason is because it gets updated once in a while.

The only reason it was released was so it could be used (mandatory) for future games. It is confirmed that it will be used with Monster Hunter tri G. I think it would be wise to bundle this with MStG.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
I don't see what everyone has against the new add-on. I mean, be happy it's not a new system (there have been rumours about releasing a 3DS with 2 sticks), it may be bulky, but it looks ergonomic and even though it looks huge in pictures, if you get your 3DS and pretend it's attached then it isn't too big. Also it adds some new shoulder buttons. As said before, it is being made for Monster Hunter tri G, so you don't HAVE to buy it... I personally think it doesn't look too big and even if you do take it out and about, you normally have two pockets, don't you? One for the console and one for the extra. Or you can put it in your bag. Simples.

EDIT: Apparently, it's only an extra 3cm on the 3DS, so that only makes it around 16cm alltogether. The PSVita is 18.5cm. Not that bulky if you ask me.

Last edited:
This looks like a neat idea. It could serve several purposes such as improving the gameplay on games that use dual-analogs and have to revert to the touch screen for camera movement, chief among these First-Person Shooters. Also, left-handed gamers could use the right analog instead of the left for more comfortable gameplay (can a lefty confirm that for me?)

Hopefully it wouldn't become a mandatory attachment for all games. If a few games use it and implement it well, I see no problem. In fact, it could be a huge success if done right and not overused.

Last edited:

DLC

Soul Drummer.
I love most FPS, So this is really good news. ( metroid anybody) While the gyroscope could technically subsitute for this, I t looks like a cool Idea.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
3cm is that much of a difference, really. I mean, it is noticeable, but doesn't change too much. I'm all for a second circle pad anywho, the 3DS needs one if it wants to make decent shooters work (and even a few RPGs).

HoT - I'm a lefty and have no problem using the circle pad as it is. Well, I'm not used to it being so small as compared to analog sticks, but no noticeable difference aside from that.

Last edited:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
(can a lefty confirm that for me?)
I'm left-handed, and honestly, the Circle-Pad on the left side doesn't really effect how I play. But, this new Circle-Pad on the right would make gameplay for a lefty like me easier.

Okay, back on topic. I find this add-on very cool. I mean, this new Circle-Pad could open up loads of new gameplay ideas (Like using one for movement and one for the camera). When I first saw this, I immediately thought, "Wow, they'll probably make a game like Dual-Pen Sports using this." And I think that'd be a GREAT idea! This opens up alot of new ideas and elements games couldn't use before.

Maybe, just maybe, could Super Mario 3D Land use this add-on for camera control? Maybe they'll have a multiplayer game like Photo Dojo where you use one system to play against each other. I don't know, but what I DO know is that this is a great idea and Nintendo and third-party creators are sure to make good use of this new Circle-Pad add-on.

:yes:

Last edited:
A

Andyjoe

Problem with the 3DS's New Second Circle Pad Accessory? Read This.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-3ds/60254265
There has been a lot of hate going around the web for the new second circle pad accessory for the 3DS. Most of it is completely unwarranted in my opinion.
The link I posted above is to a gamefaqs topic that explains why this is a good idea. If you don't feel like clicking it, I'll quote the conclusion of it here. However, I really recommend you read the full topic.

So Zanimar, I don't want to read, just give me the gist of all this.

In closing, there is nothing to fear and this addon does not spell doom for the 3DS but instead shows that Nintendo is putting forth more effort in a single model instead of just doing redesigns. The addon is simply nothing more than an option of control for those who want more traditional controls, much like how things were done with the Wii. Very few, if any games will require it and even few will be games worth getting.

The following is a list of conclusions that I have stated in this topic about what I've gathered from all the info mentioned of the addon and Nintendo's own history in dealing with their systems and addons.

- The addon is purely optional and offers an alternative control method for those who want more traditional controls instead of the touch screeen.

- The addon will be required for very few games and even fewer will be games worth getting.

- There will not be a redesign that will incorporate the second pad as it there is far more negative than positive to such a path.

- There is now an even less chance of any sort of redesign as Nintendo shows the 3DS is a modular system and so any idea that would be used for a redesign (except for a 3DS XL) could be incorporated as an optional addon and thus making a single, customizable 3DS as opposed to several models of 3DS and having the consumer "settle" for the one with the most features that appeal to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom