• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Concerts

Nicole

luke is my wife
I'm going to my first concert tomorrow to see Demi Lovato and Fifth Harmony (aka bubblegum pop artists lol). I have VIP tickets for a pre-show acoustic performance and a meet and greet, so I'm pretty happy. So I was thinking, what kind of experiences does everyone here have with concerts? What concerts have you been to and did you like or dislike them? What about meeting singers?

If you haven't been to any concerts, or even if you have, what ones would you like to go see if you had the chance? My top picks are Imagine Dragons, The Neighnourhood, Krewella, and Miley Cyrus. I don't have enough money for all of those so they're not all gonna happen lol but a girl can dream.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I've been to several concerts in my life, though none of any really well known bands (except Hedley, except they're mostly only known in Canada).

There are 2 bands that I really want to see before they retire, but I'm afraid I may have already lost that chance: Rush and AC/DC. Two other bands I really want to see at some point are Avenged Sevenfold and Metallica.

There are quite a few other artists I want to see sometime, but these four are on my bucket list, and are therefore the only ones really worth noting.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I've been to a few concerts as well as a couple of festivals so far.

The general experience is great, honestly there's nothing better than seeing one of your favorite artists in the flesh and actually performing live. It's surreal, but in a good way. My favourite would definitely be the Swedish House Mafia at the MK Bowl (you may recognise this event from the "Don't you worry child" vid). It was amazing, the atmosphere was incredible, they put on a great performance and it was just a great night.

However, these artists I don't really consider my favs; I would love to see the following:

Frank Ocean
The Weekend
Kendrick Lamar
The Killers
Snow Patrol
Avicii
Jhene Aiko
Childish Gambino

I've never been to a concert, and I probably won't ever go to one. For one, I don't care about them, and for another, there's too much noise and too many people for my tastes. However, if I ever sold out myself to go to one, it'd either be a Shing02 or Uyama Hiroto concert in Tokyo.

I've been to three concerts thus far (not counting orchestral performances): Muse, Bob Dylan, and Radiohead.

They were all tremendously good times, and I'd like to go to more when I get the chance. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea when the next opportunity will arise, partly due to the fact that artists don't perform near where I live very often, and partly because the vast majority of artists I enjoy are no longer around to perform (or are pathetic shadows of their former selves, Alice In Chains :dry:). Of the three, I'd say my favorite was Radiohead, with Muse close behind. The show Muse put on was easily the most extravagant, but Radiohead's music is just insane. I swear, it seems like those guys exist on an entirely different plane than I do. Their lights and stuff weren't half bad, either.

I've never met any of the musicians or anything, which doesn't bother me. There's not much I'd be able to say beyond "Good job" or "You guys are incredible" or whatever. I guess it would be kinda neat to see them up close, but I'm there for the music.

As for musicians I would see if I could:

The Beatles, specifically their Rooftop Concert
Alice In Chains, during the 90s
Frank Zappa

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
I went to an Elton John concert back in November. I had really crappy seats, but the actual performance was amazing. There were a decent amount of songs from his 40+ year discography, mostly his hit singles. Although a great part of it was stuff from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road because the album is about to hit it's 40th anniversary this year. Of course there were two songs(Home Again and Oceans Away) from the album he released last year (The Diving Board). It lasted about 2 1/2 hours and all the way through he never seemed too exhausted by it and his voice was as golden as ever.

There are a few other bands/artists I would love to see live. David Bowie would be my number one pick, but it doesn't look like that's ever going to happen. Fall Out Boy is a band I've recently fallen in love with and I think it would be interesting to see them live. There are a few other bands I would probably go to a concert of, just none that are really jumping out at me at the moment.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I've been to a few, though I've never been lucky enough to meet any of the performers. I'm not really into big concerts any more, but I do like live entertainment at a bar or a similar venue from time to time.

Rolling Stones (1996)
Elton John & Billy Joel (1997)
Jimmy Page & Robert Plant (1998)
Chicago (2000)
REO Speedwagon and Styx (2002)
Bare Naked Ladies (2005)
Dave ****ing Brubeck (2007)
Ben Folds (2008)

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Foo Fighters (awesome show)
3 Doors Down
Willy Nelson
Eminem (holy **** what a show)
Owl City (I like soft electro-pop okay)
AC/DC (another holy ****)
John Mayer (amazing live guitar player)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
When I was 15, a friend of mine was going to a Backstreet Boys concert. Her parents did not like the idea of her going alone, so they called my parents and asked if I could come along (amusingly enough I did not know about this before my parents had already said yes). That's the only larger concert I've been to. Other than that, I've mostly just gone along with friends to smaller concerts that they wanted to go to. The only concert I've attended in my adult life for my own sake was Lindsey Stirling, which was really cool - especially since she ended up doing her Zelda medley towards the end of the show.

I'm actually not all that big on concerts, to be honest. I find them noisy with all the shouting from the other people attending. Also, I'm just not a huge music fan. I tend to think of music as a means to add atmosphere to something else (like a movie, game, video, etc). There are very few artists bands that I would be interested in seeing a live performance for, but Nightwish, Within Temptation and Sarah McLachland would probably be cool.

I haven't personally met any singers, nor do I care to, really (as previously mentioned, I'm just not a big music fan). But I do attend a lot of conventions, and meet actors from various television shows that I love (which is more my medium). That is something I really enjoy. My advice when meeting someone you're a fan of face to face, is to do everything you can to stay calm. It's really hard to do the first couple of times, but if you can pull it off, I can pretty much guarantee you you'll have a better experience. Celebrities tend to feel more relaxed if the people they meet stay calm, and they are more inclined to have a proper conversation with you appear calm and collected.

To give an example, I've met Eliza Dushku (who played my favourite character in Buffy the Vampire Slayer) twice in my life. The first time I was so starstruck I couldn't get a word out, so our encounter was short (albeit nice and memorable), because she was the first actress I had met. Eight years later, I met her again - this time I already had plenty of experience meeting actors, and I ended up having more of a proper conversation with her, including a fistbump at the end, lol.

So, do whatever you can to stay calm during the meet'n greet, and you'll more likely end up with a truly memorable encounter ;)

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Never been to a concert, and I generally don't care for them. When I was about 10-12 years old (aka I was in deep for my weeaboo phase), I wanted to go to a Vocaloid concert and become an actual Vocaloid... Needless to say, that dream was short lived. One concert I would love to attend, but unfortunately no longer can, would be a Swedish House Mafia concert. Sadly the group broke up and already had their final tour, so it sucks to be me, haha.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I love music concerts! Always such a good time. But haven't been to as many as some people. Quality over quantity. ;)

The last one I went to the Stone Roses reunion in Manchester, and man that was such a good night. And I've never seen so many drunk people in my life. :P But was an amazing concert. I've also seen Oasis live years and years ago, and I went to see Paul McCartney live once too a few years back, and Noel Gallagher when he toured for his first solo album. I really want to go see Take That live sometime, I love Take That, but couldn't get tickets when they were doing their huge tour. Maybe someday I will see you Gary Barlow! I like music festivals too, but I've not really got any friends I'd want to go with. Hopefully one-day, would love to go to the V Festival or Redding Festival.

Dan

I personally dislike concerts, If I wanted to roll around in mud whilst listening to a version of poorer sound from my favorite song over the drunk chants of 2nd tier humans, I would go to a pig farm and jump in some mud whilst listening to AM radio.
Like Curm I see myself as an upper class 7th tier human, I much rather enjoy a more secluded evening with my boyfriend at a bar(Not a pub, there is a big difference) whilst listening to a small and more deserving band play their fine music, in my opinion(which is the correct opinion) this is the correct way of doing such.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Ah, concerts...

First concert I have ever been to was a local concert to support a band was my friend was in. I remember getting WAY to close to the amp to be healthy. Its the reason I can't hear out of my left ear as well as my right. :/ But it was a lot of fun to be able to see that kind of thing with friends, and they were also a relateively good band too.

Next one I saw was a Jeff Mangum concert. It was basically just a guy up on stage, in a chair, with an acoustic guitar playing though some of his best songs. It was fantastic, almost an unbelievably therapeautic experience. Singing along with everyone in the room to where it almost feels like a gigantic choir is...magical. And when others popped out from the back of the stage with varying instruments, i.e. tambourine, french horn, some kind of fancy flute thing...it's probably one of the best concerts I'll ever go to.

Then there was the Flaming Lips concert I went to in Downtown Seattle. It was on the street, there were a few other opening acts but neither were really that special. But goddang, were the Flaming Lips freaking awesome to watch! I can't even describe the set up they had for their stage, or the effects they use, but it was just...visual and audio art at the same time!

Only bad part of that is that in Downtown Seattle, you can get some crazy people. Some guy grabbed my throat from behind and yanked me to the ground. Tried to strangle me, but I luckily got away from him unscatched, save for a few scratches on my neck. Guy was obviously inebriated. But I love the irony of life, because as soon as I got up, I saw "LOVE" flashing on the screen behind the stage and everyone was chanting it XD Still a fantastic concert in spite of that one moment. Everyone pushing and shoving and moshing. Its like a feeling of unity, everyone getting all excited all at once. The energy just flows around you and even if you kind of aren't into it at first, if you love the band or the music or both, you'll find yourself gettting swept up in the moment as well! :D

So yeah, those are my few concert experiences. Highly recommend them, they can be some of the finest moments in anyone's life. ^^

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
Busted when I was like 7 or sommin in Broadstairs - BE JEL
The Good the Bad and the Queen (Damon Albarn's 3rd band) - 2007 - Tower of London, actually inside the castle grounds!
Blur - 2009 - Hyde Park, SO GOOD
Madness - 2009 - O2 Arena
Gorillaz - 2010 - O2
Arcade Fire - 2010 - O2
Rammstein - 2012 - O2, I was in the very upper tier but still got burnt :D \m/>.<\m/
Madness - 2012 - O2, again, my friend dragged me along not realising that in the past 3 years my taste had changed.
Richard Hawley - 2013 - The Troxy (East London), my parents dragged me to this one, but he was actually really good.
Paul Weller - 2013 - Hammy Apollo (West London), same as above
Letz Zep - 2013 - Local venue, Led Zeppelin tribute band - Brilliant.
Dirty DC - 2013 - ACDC tribute band

And then I'm seeing Elbow in April, Jimi Goodwin in June and Paul Weller again in July.

Yes my music taste is varied :)

And I've also seen loads of local bands and friends bands as well, but I have still, as yet, never been to a festival and it is paining me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom