• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Concepts - Which Should Be Revisited?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Hey there guys. We've all seen some concepts in Pokemon games that we just adore. Whether they are revisited or not, we still want to continuously see them make an appearance over and over again. That being said, there must be a list of concepts that were introduced, but never revisited. Or maybe they were revisited, but you'd like to see them again. I've compiled a list of the concepts I would like to see in the next Pokemon generation game.

2 Regions, 1 Game - This concept was (I believe) first introduced back during Heart Gold and Soul Silver. After completing the main quest in the Johto region, the player is given the opportunity to venture back into the Kanto region. I thought this was absolutely brilliant. Being able to collect more gym badges, catch more Pokemon, and eventually fill the Pokedex. It actually made the game worth playing. I was a little upset that I didn't see this concept in the original Black and White. I was even more upset that this concept was ignored yet again in Black 2 and White 2. I'm just saying, this should definitely be revisited again in the near future.

Underground Base - Back in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, there was a small "mini-game" of sorts beneath the ground of the Sinnoh region.
underground3.jpg
It was a very large area that opened up many opportunities. I don't think you could encounter any Pokemon, but you were allowed to mine. Yes, mine. The player could mine various gems as part of a collection. Not only that, but they could also create an extravagant underground base. This "mini-game" could be played with several friends, where they would attempt to steal your flag hidden within your base. I played this with my friends all the time, non-stop. I had a lot of fun, but I was sad that I never got to see it resurface again in another game.

ecruteak.png
Side-by-Side Pokemon Travel- This concept has been a few games, but I would like to see it come up again some time soon. Side-by-Side Pokemon travel is basically having your Pokemon out of its Pokeball and allowing it roam the region with you. I thought this idea was genius, and showed the true compassion between a trainer and their Pokemon. This concept was partially in D/P/P, but was not in B/W or B2/W2. I was slightly disappointed, but it didn't bother me that much.

These are only but a few that I can think of at the moment. What about you? What concepts would you like to see in the next Pokemon game(s)? Any that you'd take out? Any that you want to see, but altered? Discuss.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
2 Regions in 1 was a pretty entertaining and fun mechanic, made the game that much longer and added more content to it, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing such a thing again…hell, throw more than 2 Regions in the mix even, I’d likely play it.

Ah, making an underground base. Oh yes, that certainly brings me back…even Emerald Version had its own secret base mechanic if I’m not mistaken; only instead you made them in bushes and by creating your own caverns in mountain sides. You could find these various areas all around Hoenn, all you needed was a Pokémon with the Movie “Secret power”. In Gen IV they made it simpler though, could make your secret base just about anywhere in Sinnoh’s Underground Tunnels, just needed that one drill item. Moving along though, suppose I wouldn't mind seeing it make a return yet again, it was kind of fun coming up with various different ways to design your base…whenever you thought it was set up to your liking, you always found something else you wanted throw in there.

Side-by-side Pokémon Travel…oh, big time, I’d love to see this concept make a return. When playing HeartGold Version I enjoyed being able to have my first party Pokémon walking around by my side, it was awesome, I also enjoyed how at various location there was that photographer who would take a snap shot of you and your entire team—even at times he allowed you to take snap shots with your Pokémon alongside various Gym Leaders, but that’s beside the point. No doubt would I be all for the idea of this feature returning, having Pokémon walking around besides you was quite nice, and another thing I liked was how if your Pokémon was Shiny, this would carry over to the sprite of the Pokémon as it walked along beside you.

Other concepts though, I dunno really...I'm sure there are some, but they just don't come to mind, huh.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I think it would be cool to revisit other regions. That's disappointing to me to find out you can't go back to the Sinnoh region in B/W2, it seemed they were leading up to that.

Definitely have the traveling companion, I loved that.

The underground bases were kinda cool, but I didn't really mess with them too much. So not a big loss for me.

Two other concepts I want returned are:
!) The return of competing villains. I loved this concept in Emerald, they both had different goals and would fight each other along with terrorizing the populace. I want this back.
2) Fighting your rival for the Championship. Dammit I want this back! While I do like several of the Champions to have come out since the first (Cynthia being my favorite), there is nothing more satisfying than beating that twerp Gary for the Pokemon Championship!

univpark

Heart of Steel
I definitely liked the walking with your Pokemon, it was lots of fun and I would absolutely LOVE to see it again, as well as having more than one region in each game. I'd have liked to go to another region in B/W2, it really did seem they were leading up to that...

I liked the Sinnoh Underground, but the Secret Base in Hoenn was fun, too...If I had to choose, I'd have to go with the Underground, however.

Dan

- Yeah I would like to see the return of "dens" or were they called bases in that, It was always entertaining to find these dens. I kind of don't understand now why Gen3 is always looked down upon now, it had some really fresh idea's, I imagine it was because people felt the pokemon were getting more ridicules looking...

- Anyway I wouldn't mind seeing more unique towns again like ruby and sapphire did, we had a town in the tree's which was quite amazing, then a secret town you needed to get to by going underwater, it was located within a volcano, that really gave the town a great feel about it. Oh and a town that was literally floating on the water. Great fun that way. So yeah maybe we could even go as far as to having a town on some clouds or something crazy... Pokemon in space might be unique concept. :P

- I would like to see a return to underwater exploration, perhaps improve on this to make it more fun.

- ******-bag rival, I still haven't played black and white 2 so not sure what the rival was like, but I loved having a rival that was an utter **** towards the protagonist, it just made you want to kick his *** more. :P

I absolutely love the idea of bringing back Side-by-side Pokémon. I really makes a trainer feel unique and shows off that trainer's personality.

Regarding two Reigons, I don't mind it if it was done right. I personaly thought that the Kanto Reigon in gen II/VI was a bit rushed and didn't really show off the same vibe as the Johto reigon, then again Gold/Silver was based in Johto and it deserves more then Kanto. I think if Game Freak decided to have two reigons in one game, they should balance them out in terms of progression and storyline.

And as for Secret/Underground Bases, I didn't really use them and I kinda don't see the point in them. I'd rather they didn't come back to be fair, but if they did, that's Game Freak's choice, but then it will be my choice whether I use them or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom