• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tech Help Computer Programmers!

Is there anyone here who knows a programming language or two?

I've realized despite what most American teenagers think, massive consumption of media does not actually count as a real hobby, and due to that I've decided to take up Python! Currently making my way through official documentation. Anyone have any do's and don'ts for me?

I've programmed in C/C++, Python, Ruby, PHP, and JavaScript, although I'd say I know the most about PHP.

It's been a while since I've really programmed anything in Python, but it's a fun language. If you're just using the Docs right now, I'd recommend talking a look at Zed Shaw's Learn Python The Hard Way. It's an interesting approach to learning to program, and I think the style can be very helpful. It was to me, at least. Another thing is once you get acquainted with Python, start looking into all the different libraries for it, will likely keep you from losing interest quickly. There's some interesting ones like BeautifulSoup (if you're into more web based or mark-up related stuff) or of course all the GTK/Qt, wxPython, etc. libraries and whatnot, if you want to get into GUI development, which can be fun. GUI programming in Python is actually very simple.

Not sure if I have any real do's or dont's, mostly just try to always improve your code, your program, etc. One way to learn more about a language is to think of hypothetical situations, what could be done with this program? how can it be improved? etc. Although efficiency is something that can be important, mainly in larger programs (also depends on type of program), I wouldn't get too]/I] hung up on it. Basically, if the program is barely usable because it's so inefficient, then yeah, that needs to be worked on. Otherwise, don't waste too much time on that. But I would suggest always trying to learn something new about the given language and paradigm. It's really the desire and drive to learn that will benefit you most, along with practice. Try and adapt programs, refactor them, etc. I find that you learn programming largely by doing, and asking intelligent questions.

I was thinking about using the "Coding the Hard Way" series, and I know it's a wonderful series, but because I'm new to programming, I've decided to read How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python 2nd Edition. Also, I've never been too fond of rote learning.

Thank you very much for your post, though. I don't know what kind of things I want to program, nor am I ever going to be a professional programmer, so my only goal at this point in time is to simply learn the language and be good at something for once.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I have a Bachelor in IT which focused heavily on Java programming and a little bit of C# (but then again that's basically Microsoft-Java). It's been a few years since I wrote any code in it, ever since I stopped working in IT, I've only done PHP.

Only advice I have in terms of coding is to work by the following formula: Make it Run, Make it Right, Make it Fast. Don't try to write the entire application right away, first build a working skeletal structure, make sure that runs without error - then focus on writing the functionality you want - then rework the code to see how you may make the application more efficient.

As for learning in general, you just need to be aware of what kind of learning environment works best for you. I've never been fond of textbooks, barely opened one when I got my BA (yet I was at the top of my class programming-wise), I learned by doing, by trying out things, playing with code, etc. The only time I ever learned from a textbook was when I decided to take on PHP and I found a book that was playfully written and filled to the brink with coding exercises (it helped, of course - that I recognized a lot of things from my Java days, so much of the base logic was already in place when I read that book).

Just figure out for yourself what learning method works best for you and then seek out what you need, whether it's a textbook, a class, an online community or something else entirely. Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom