• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Complex Sword Maneuvers

Do you want simpler swordplay?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided

• Total voters
Wonder how some simple parrying mechanic would work against humanoid enemies?

You attack from right, enemy parries left (your right), your attack is parried. Enemy attacks with an overhead swing, you parry up, and the enemy attack is parried. You prepare an attack from the right, enemy parries left again, but you quickly feint and attack from the left(enemy's right) and the attack hits since the enemy was still parrying on their left side. Who ever played Mount & Blade knows what Im talking about. Ofcource different enemies respound to attacks in different times. A untrained foe would be easy to fool, but a master swordsman would not only be hard to fool, but will also use faints against you. There should be a way to defend yourself without your shield. There could also be some sort of a kick to brake the enemy's guard. Maybe there could also be a way to parry an attack from behind you, not very realistic, but it could be fun, and promote parrying instead of using a shield. Maybe by swinging the remote behind one's shoulder? An attack comming from left, behind you, you swing the remote behind your left shoulder and its parried.

This should give more use to the different attack methods. Plus it should only be used when Link does not have a shield around ofcource. With a shield it should stay the simple "press button, block attack". The shield could find some more use too. Maybe an execution involving it? While the enemy is on the ground, Link grabs the shield with both hands by the sides, raises it in the air and slams "pointy side"(bottom) of it in the enemy's neck.

Different enemy death animations could probably bring more life to it aswel. For example a stabbed enemy instead of casually falling backwards, it stays on your swords until you pull it out of the enemy, then it falls on the grounds. This could be annoying in a large battle, since it could leave you vulnerable for a second or two, so it will make you think more of your actions instead of spamming around.

Is the Master Sword a longsword? Meaning could it be used with both hands? I've seen Link attack with both hands in SSBB. Perhaps there could be some sort of a two-handed mode? Link's attacks do more damage, but the shield cannot be used. The parrying system I've described above could come to use here. Also there should be some other bonuses for not using a shield, for instance parried enemy attacks could slow the enemy's next attack down a bit? Or maybe an abillity to use something else then a shield in the other hand? Like a clawshot or something? Maybe a second melee weapon?

With other words: High risk-high reward.

Not only did I love the addition of the hidden skills, I want more! I don't see why someone wouldn't want Link doing more badass techniques and maneuvers than just generic hacking, stabbing, and slashing.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Not only did I love the addition of the hidden skills, I want more! I don't see why someone wouldn't want Link doing more badass techniques and maneuvers than just generic hacking, stabbing, and slashing.

Those weren't really complex, though. They didn't really require any strategy in their use, which is almost ironic, given how elaborate they were. It's pretty shameful when Shield Bashing having to swing swords in different directions according to an enemy's defenses require more has more depth and requires thought and effort than executing a "badass technique".

I can imagine that, that system would fit very well with the badass moves.

Maybe some sort of a combo system? Like parrying an attack from X could let you perform Y? Imagine Link parrying an attack from his right, moves the enemy's weapon down with his sword, moves his right foot to trip the enemy and with his left hand grabs the enemy behind its neck to push it, using the momentum of the enemy's attack to make it fall on the ground. This could be followed with a stab in the back while the enemy is lying face down. This could bring alot of "Assassin's creed" style moves.

Or maybe a disarm system? Parry X ammount of attacks in Y ammount of time to make the enemy drop its weapon.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Or maybe a disarm system? Parry X ammount of attacks in Y ammount of time to make the enemy drop its weapon.

Enemies dropping weapons is definitely something I'd like to see come back, and taking it a step further by making you have to EARN such a thing (unlike in The Wind Waker where you just hold R long enough or knock an enemy backwards, lolololol) would be great. Being able to actually collect their weapons (with carry weight limitations) wouldn't hurt, either.

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
I said yes, but it's more like, sometimes. Depends on my mood. Sometimes I don't feel like swinging the wiimote around when I'm playing a game. Other times it's just fine.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
The only complaint I've ever had about swordplay in Zelda was from SS in that it was more new than it was innovative (also PH because its controls weren't top notch, but that's a different concept). Advanced sword techniques, imo, help to define that the series is improving in terms of gameplay. Rule #52 of the 400 project states "make a game familiar, but different" and this is an example of how this rule is constantly applied to the Zelda series. What's important to note is that the new style of sword techniques aren't just completely new. They are a slightly altered/improved version of what Zelda players already know when it comes to sword moves. This way the player is still familiar with the concept, but feels as though they are taking the next step in their "sword training." These techniques also makes the player feel good about themselves when they're able to perform epic looking moves successfully. Think about any game you've played that involved action. That sudden shot of dopemine (can't spell) is greatly increased whenever you pull off an awesome looking move. (That's why fighting games have so many of them) This feeling would go away when simple sword techniques come back into play, especially with the tradition of advancing the techniques throughout the series. If Zelda Wii-U went back to OoT style of fighting, it'd be similar to when SS made us change the time by going to sleep. It's not a step forward, it's a HUGE step backwards.

IMO, advanced sword techniques are the way to go but just like any concept, it is possible to take them too far or make them too complicated. I just don't think the Zelda series has reached that point yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom