• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Completion Meter

Beeker

Wild Card
I had this thought today, and thought I'd like to share it.

I've noticed that some games have some kind of percentage or meter on say, a file screen that gives an idea of how completed the file is, adding things like how far the story is and how many collectibles have been found.

What do think if something like this was to appear in future Zelda games, including Skyward Sword? I know Zelda file screens usually show what important quest items you've collected, but what about something that shows about how many Heart Pieces/other collection items you've found out of the total in the game? Do you think it would be a good idea, especially for people who are trying to complete 100%? Discuss.
(I hope I worded this right... >.>)

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Yes it worded very clearly.

I would love to see a completion meter that would be great. I always liked that about the Metroid Prime and just all other MP games after that but Nintendo should have some kind of reward fro 100% completion I don't something cheesy like something at the The End screen.

P

Pete16

I would like that, although I will never be able to get 100%. The only thing they should not do with it is to make different endings based on the percentage you have, such as in Metroid Prime!

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
Completion Meter? I like that idea. That way, each kind of collectible (heart piece, poe soul or the like, etc.) would be worth a certain amount of the meter or gauge.
so that plus the progress in the game would add to the meter, and that way, even once you complete the game you know there's more to collect. I like the idea, Beeker!

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I am in favor, but they can be decieving. When I was playing Arkham Asylum, I had ~65% completion, so I thought I still had more bosses and such, but then the final battle with the Joker came and I was pretty upset. I was tricked into thinking I had more game to play, when really I did, but ya.

I'd like a completion meter, but I won't put too much stock into it.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I've seen this system used in some other games, and I think it's rather effective. It gives the player a sense of satisfaction if they see that percentage increasing every time they get an item or complete a temple.

I really like the percentage type thing that appears on the startup screen, i'd love to see it appear in Skyward Sword.

green goron

Best of the Gorons
I would like to see it but the only problem is that sometimes when you beat the final boss it says that you only have 70%. Then you have to go back and get the remaining 30% by finding all the heart pieces, collectibles etc.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I've seen a completion meter used in the Metroid games and it makes it a little easier on you. After all, once you've gotten to the final dungeon and you see like 65% on your file, you know you missed some stuff earlier in the game and you need to go back whereas you could be playing the game for years and never know about certain items or anything.

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
I have some problems with the idea of a compleation meter in a Zelda game. Only because I don't always want to know how close I am to compleation, it gives me this sence that this is my quest, my journey and that there is no way to possibly know how long it will take me to reach my destination (the final boss).

It would be okay for a Master Quest title however, because thats all about conquering the best opsticals they can throw at you in a familiar journey.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
two words: bombers notebook, but if i cant have that I'd take a percent on the file select screen. If they had a percent for the main quest and the sub quests or just one or the other that would be fine with me. i think i'd like both if i could choose though. It could replace that silly death counter, it's not like we can't count up our deaths ourselves if were going for a no game over run..

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yes. This is a good idea. I remember Super Mario World for the SNES had this, and it helped me to know how many more secret levels I have to unlock. So this will also help me, and I will think it will give us a better indication when we come to the "have I collected everything yet?" though.

A completion meter sounds like a good idea, and would be a nice feature to have on Skyward Sword, especially as I'm a completionist. However, I think that because Nintendo generally tell us how much of each thing we have to collect, such as Skulltulas in Ocarina of Time or Poes in Twilight Princess, that the features function would be void, and it wouldn't really tell us anything we didn't know.

However, if Nintendo decided that they would utilise this idea, and not tell us things such as how many Skulltulas, Poes...etc there are in the game, then the idea would be quite valid, and rather useful for when I'm playing through the game. Of course, Nintendo would need to introduce more, newer side quests, or a game that is much more side quest dependant, like Majora's Mask, then the feature would be utilised to its maximum potential.

Of course though, Nintendo has their policy of not using what could turn to be a great idea at times, because thats how they role, which is a real shame, because I'd like to see this in a game, especially if it's a game that's like Majora's Mask.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom