• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Completing the Shadow Temple and Bottom of the Well Without the Lens of Truth?

MW7

...Why would you do it that many times? :xd: Yeah, those are two areas I had a lot of trouble with too. The rest I could figure out. That's interesting about the OoT and OoT3D Hookshot difference though. I don't have OoT3D yet, so I didn't know about that.

When I did my minimalist run, I insisted on actually completing the dungeons, so aside from the stuff I'd need the Scarecrow's Song for, I 100%ed the dungeons. I feel like that's only fair. You skip upgrades and items but you still do the entire dungeon. That's how I look at it anyway. So I did all the dungeons.

Those are some interesting challenges. I thought about doing the dungeons without the tunics, but I didn't think it would be possible. Then again I was on a minimalist run already, so I had three hearts. Is it possible with that few hearts, or...?

I've basically just gotten into the habit of doing minimalist runs for OOT because I went through a phase in which I tried speedrunning the game. Skipping the well is a huge timesaver. Also another reason is because I kept realizing in the middle of minimalist runs that I could skip even more than I was doing so that would give me a goal for the next one (in other words motivation to do it again). Also once you skip the lens a couple of times you get used to it.

Everyone has different rules and that's one of the great things about OOT- you have so many options. Once I did a 100% run in which I did the bottom of the well last in the game (meaning right before Ganon's Castle); really defeats the purpose of getting the lens at all if you've passed most of the areas it's useful for but OOT lets you do all sorts of interesting things. Since it was fun for me I went ahead and did it.

As for the tunics, that's a great question and you're right. I believe it's impossible do a real "minimalist" run (excluding glitches) and skip the goron tunic because of how much time you need in the hot areas of the Fire Temple. You either need to get extra hearts or carry multiple fairies. You get 8 seconds per full heart container so even the simple areas of the Fire Temple seem impossible. I believe you would actually need four fairies with 3 hearts to make it possible to beat Volvagia quickly enough. Getting more heart containers is another option but that pushes this challenge further away from a minimalist run as well. I haven't even mentioned that to fully skip getting the goron tunic you need both the scarecrow's song and the longshot (but skips the bolero of fire also). I found lots of information of the subject of minimalist runs of OOT on a website called speedrunwiki.com (here http://speedrunwiki.com/Minimal_runs_of_OoT). Most of the information relates to using glitches to bypass things but there is other info that pertains to everyone (I for one don't use glitches because I can't figure most of them out anyway). One other thing I found interesting was that the fire arrows were skippable.

I just realized I haven't mentioned the Zora Tunic yet. That definitely is skippable while simultaneously doing a 3 heart run (you don't even need a single fairy). There's only one room in the Water Temple that's really tough (the one in the center chamber underwater), but I successfully did it with 3 hearts and no tunic a week ago. I was carrying a fairy because I failed the first couple of times I tried it, but I made it with 2 seconds to spare. Additionally you only need to enter that room for a small key, but actually you can skip any small key in the Water Temple because you can bypass the locked door to the center chamber by going through the door on the second floor. So actually you could complete the Water Temple without even coming close to needing the Zora Tunic.

Last edited:
I dread doing the shadow temple, I could never even attempt not using the lens :eek:

edit: just out of curiosity, whats the best time possible to beat the game, without glitches? Assuming you have to do every dungeon and can pick up boss heart containers, but dont get anything extra?

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED i just beat it using the lens how ever when i get back to it (in master quest no less) i will try to do it with no lens of truth i have never even though of trying it though it should be a nice challenge for me knapp01.jpg

MW7

I dread doing the shadow temple, I could never even attempt not using the lens :eek:

edit: just out of curiosity, whats the best time possible to beat the game, without glitches? Assuming you have to do every dungeon and can pick up boss heart containers, but dont get anything extra?

I believe it's 4 hours and 57 minutes set by a guy named Mike Damiani in 2005. There's also I guy who calls himself Kazooie who did it in 4 hours and 46 minutes (but that's on the European version so I don't know for sure if the speedrunning community counts it as exactly the same- I read somewhere that the PAL versions of the game run slower so you have longer to react to things). I can't say for sure that the runs are completely glitch-free, but they are not skipping anything except for the bottom of the well I think. To put this in perspective, I truly know the game inside and out and if I did a run perfectly I wouldn't even be within 45 minutes of either of them.

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I don't think the gameplay would be intansely difficult, but the boss battle must have been a pain in the neck to do without the Lens of Turth!

I guess it could be possible to complete the Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple without the Lens of Truth, but it would be a lot harder because of invincible holes in the floor, platforms, and other deadly objects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom