• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Comparing TP to Past Titles.

I dont understand why so many people hate on aspects of Twilight Princess. Alot of the time people hate TP for things that past 3D titles (you cant compare 2D games to 3D games) didn't even accomplish.

People hate on Tp for vacantcy!

Oot was realy empty, exept for like a Phat or 2 and the stalkin (but only at night).

Wind waker was so vacant. You sail for 20 minutes then get on an island, meeting the friendly people then continuing to the dungeon.

People hate on TP for being easy??? Wind waker was the exact same thing though... The only reason OoT was harder was because the controls were clunkier.

I have heard alot of talk about bad AI in TP but its not like the other older games had way better Ai, -_- Actualy Darknuts were very smart, and had different ways of attacking and you would have to respond to each senario differently.

The graphics of each game can't be compared its all personal opinion, exept for framerate and resolution which TP was obviously better. (obviously because its a newer game)

The one huge thing, is that Tp lacks mini games, but there were still a few.

Can you reply at tell me why you think other game are better than Tp?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Pretty sure ZD knows me to be biased in favor of OoT, so I'll use OoT as a way to vent:

Comparing TP to OoT, gameplay wise:

Twilight Princess lacked many things that OoT had: the vacancy of both games are very, VERY different. Where in Hyrule Field of TP all you are really doing is traveling through large expanses of land, waiting forever and ever and ever to reach your destination, in OoT you are traveling through the large expanses of land, waiting only a little bit to reach your destination. The warp points in OoT were much better placed than in TP; this is due to the size of OoT's Hyrule.

I'm pretty sure you saw my complaint about TP's AI, and honestly you are right that Darknuts are smart enemies, but they can be decimated without any effort at all. Even if you did a CD Streamed Wooden Sword run on TPWii, you could still break through them without hidden skills or a shield, you could even do it with 1/4 heart remaining if you wanted! All it takes to beat an enemy in TP is simply slashing at them with your sword, and in a special case using the Clawshot to draw them in. Nothing gets harder than that, and they hardly know how to block at all! I won't lie and say that OoT's enemies knew how to block; fact is they don't register "blocking" at all. But, they WERE challenging, much more so than TP's.

The puzzles of TP are spot on easy. The only one that had me struggling was Lakebed, and that was due to its inherent property as a Water Temple [look at ALttP's Dark World Level 2 I believe]. To this day, I still can't speed through OoT without using a guide.

The minigames of OoT in my opinion are better than TP's. For one, there are way more. For two, the reward [rupees] didn't seem so useless as they did in TP, though OoT's rupees are arguably worth a lot less than TP's.​

BUT, TP hands down IMO has the best graphics of the series. Not my favorite graphical style but the best so far. They are a bit blurry, but still I think they're presented the best. If only the story and challenge could have that same quality.
Now please don't get up and rage at me, this is my opinion and really it is just an opinion.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding I guess your righ. Do you think they should have increased the damage of all enemies in TP? Becaue they do do very minimal damage. Its like half the damage of Oot.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nah, it was like 1/4th the damage of OoT enemies. If they put the damage that enemies dealt, I wouldn't hate on TP as much as I do. Because that last room of Cave of Ordeals can get pretty challenging if you do a three heart, no shield no hidden skills run. If Darknuts did like two hearts of damage or more, gosh TP would be so much harder.

I'm pretty sure you saw my complaint about TP's AI, and honestly you are right that Darknuts are smart enemies, but they can be decimated without any effort at all. Even if you did a CD Streamed Wooden Sword run on TPWii, you could still break through them without hidden skills or a shield, you could even do it with 1/4 heart remaining if you wanted! All it takes to beat an enemy in TP is simply slashing at them with your sword, and in a special case using the Clawshot to draw them in. Nothing gets harder than that, and they hardly know how to block at all! I won't lie and say that OoT's enemies knew how to block; fact is they don't register "blocking" at all. But, they WERE challenging, much more so than TP's.
All I heard was a complete denial of how easily OoT monsters can be defeated. "Oh, in TP, all you have to do is slash something over and over." How is that any different from OoT? In both games, only a handful of enemies require you to mix up your attack pattern and actually be strategic. I honestly don't see what you're talking about. Aside from causing less damage, the monsters in TP are not any easier than the ones in OoT.

The puzzles of TP are spot on easy. The only one that had me struggling was Lakebed, and that was due to its inherent property as a Water Temple [look at ALttP's Dark World Level 2 I believe]. To this day, I still can't speed through OoT without using a guide.

The minigames of OoT in my opinion are better than TP's. For one, there are way more. For two, the reward [rupees] didn't seem so useless as they did in TP, though OoT's rupees are arguably worth a lot less than TP's.
Okay, now I know you didn't actually play OoT, because the rupees in that game are more useless than ever, and were never as useless again. What are you spending them on? There is nothing to buy but a shield and some seeds. I actively tried to empty my wallet as much as possible and it still was constantly overflowing. That is a broken money system. Did the King of Hyrule just sign a stimulus bill or something? In contrast, I needed to do no such thing while playing TP. I found frequent spending opportunities and rarely had more money than my wallet could hold. I may be only half-way through the game, but even if I get a sudden windfall it's still a step up from OoT.

Honestly, the criticism of TP makes no sense to me.

To easy? Not any easier than OoT. Could it be you guys just weren't as smart 12 years ago? I know I wasn't.
To linear? Not any less linear than MM. A linear plot makes it easier to follow and prevents plot holes. Since the NPCs had to be so active in TP, a non-linear plot would have produced a lot of bugs and glitches.
Not enough sidequests and minigames? Yeah, aside from the bug catching, Malo Mart, fishing, roll goal, rapids ride, Cave of Ordeals, poe soul collection, circus, chocco flying, and snowboarding; you got nothing.

I have to leave it at that.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I think that the actual problem with TP is not that it was different than the other games... but that it was the same. It borrowed so many aspects from Ocarina of Time that it was almost like playing the exact same game again. On the other hand, it had its own unique additions. It wasn't a bad game, and I'm sure that to some people, having it similar to OoT was a plus.

I'm not a hater of Twilight Princess, but I do think it's too easy. I suppose it's all a matter of opinion and skill. I think upgrades were a lot easier to obtain in Twilight Princess. OoT's upgrades came from Fairy Fountains, which could be hard to find - I didn't locate them all without a walkthrough on my first playthrough. The Biggoron sidequest also took some work (and maybe a couple online guides or two). The Hidden Skills in TP however were free and the howling stones appeared in the areas that you actually HAD to go to complete the game, so they were difficult to miss. Only the Magic Armor took a bit of effort to get, and that seems pretty useless anyway, since I rarely ever lose hearts in Twilight Princess. Some Ocarina of Time enemies could take 3 hearts of damage at once; there might be some like that in TP, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. I've played through both games with 3 hearts, and where I constantly had to restock my bottles with fairies in OoT, I didn't need to so often in TP. In fact, I don't think I even used ONE fairy the whole game.

Puzzles seemed pretty easy in TP, too. I played TP before OoT, actually, and I completed it with only one walkthrough (which was at the very beginning of the game, getting that stupid basket from that stupid monkey... how was I supposed to know the bird would steal it?). In OoT, I got stuck LOTS of times. I can distinctly remember feeling guilty for completing the whole Water Temple by rushing back to the computer and checking how to get through each room and which path to take. Spirit Temple gave me a lot of trouble too (apparently I'd forgotten that Link can use Deku Sticks as a child, so after many failed attempts at using Din's Fire to light torches, I searched it on YouTube and instantly felt like an idiot afterward).

As for rupees in TP vs. OoT... I never use them in EITHER game. I always had too many, no matter which game I was playing in. In TP I spent them on bombs on occasion, but the money was easy to get back from Agitha or Jovanni. In OoT I spend them on arrows (because I'm too lazy to go looking for them), but I get them back from the Skulltula guys.

Lastly, mini-games. I like Ocarina of Time's mini-games more; I thought they were more fun. They were nice ways to get the upgrades, and they didn't require so much skill they frustrated you to death (although some might argue about that with the archery game). I always dreaded doing the whole flying on the bird thing with that mini-game from Plumm just to get that Heart Piece. I don't like that game. One thing I DID like in Twilight Princess was the Cave of Ordeals, however. I thought that was an excellent was to test skill. It's one of the few challenges TP has to offer, and I still have yet to beat it with three hearts. That's my current TP goal.

...Actually, laying all these facts out makes both games sound pretty equal, in my opinion.

(After putting forth all that effort to type that up, I should have written an article about this or something... XD)

I think that the actual problem with TP is not that it was different than the other games... but that it was the same. It borrowed so many aspects from Ocarina of Time that it was almost like playing the exact same game again. On the other hand, it had its own unique additions. It wasn't a bad game, and I'm sure that to some people, having it similar to OoT was a plus.
Although I don't agree with you on that, you do make sense there. Stagnation is a legitimate complaint. Perhaps I'd just gotten used to it myself.

Twilight Princess is in fact my favourite game of all time, I think much of the magic comes from the massive use of things from older games, I can agree that is was a little easy, but not too easy! (expect from the bosses) city in the sky was just as hard as the water temple, getting all the fishes were harder in TP, and rollergoal is probably the hardest zelda minigame I've ever played (aside from the town shooting gallery in MM, wich I've NEVER beat)! the enemies taking little damage is kind of irritating, but not too much, and Oot's enemies isn't exactly hard either. I love the dark wibe, and I love the soundtrack, even though, or maybe even because, it has a lot of old songs. also, the characters had waaaay more depth than Oot or WW, especially with the twilight realm.

Its my favorite game, but i know now how easy it is. I took 4 harts of damage in the entire Cave of ordeals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom