• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Community Portal Volunteering Thread

Austin

Austin
If you recall The Community Portal Project thread. I first introduced an idea of having a news section strictly for our community. After reviewing the replies and comments, I was able to formulate what kind of things we can have. I want to sort of formulate a tentative schedule before doing anything more. The list of things I came up from the replies.

Mafia Updates
Do updates on the mafia game. I don't know how frequent they are, so if you pick this, please let me know.

Contests
This will include all contests. Video, music, Art, writing etc.

Poster/Thread of the day/week/etc
I know our front page does these, but we can them here. We can even do it more frequent then the front page.

Forum Updates
This will deal with various features about the forums. I'll probably do this because when a new feature is installed or used, I'm generally the first to learn and explain it.

Suggestions?
I'm still taking suggestions for forum updates. If you have one, please state it.

What I want in a post
Pick one of the ideas a above. Choose the frequency and possible day of the week.
For example:

Forum Updates
Every Month
First Monday each month.

If you pick the suggested item. Please describe what your idea is.

Thanks for any volunteers!

Nicole

luke is my wife
I'm in, Justin. Here's what I've got:

Idea: Mafia updates
Frequency: Whenever a new day/night period starts
Possible day: In sync with the day/night periods, or every so often (perhaps 3-4 days).

My idea for this is to have a handy, easy to access list of the characters who have died, along with perhaps a vote count as well. Just so that we don't have to bother the Mod too frequently, and don't have to search through piles of posts. Also, to have quick links to the posts in which a new day starts. Myself, I can never remember the page when a new day starts, and it's difficult to search through so many posts. Just to generally organize some links a bit.

Poster/Thread of the day/week/etc is also a very good idea. Besides rep, this is a good way to give the spotlight to many different members. My ideas for that:

Idea: Poster/Thread of the day/week/etc
Frequency: Once a day/week
Possible day: Once a week, every Friday. (Or if it's every day... in that case, every day. :P)

Also, every month, we could have an area to announce the new HKs. Most people will notice new purples, but some won't. So here, we could just list them as the months pass. Nice way to give them some recognition.

If I think of anything else, I'll edit this post.

Last edited:

Jedizora

:right:
Well, I just have a question. Would we use HTML codes to doit ourselves, or just relay the info to you? Because if its the first, then I can't do it.

Austin

Austin
Well, I just have a question. Would we use HTML codes to doit ourselves, or just relay the info to you? Because if its the first, then I can't do it.

No, it wont. IT would be using BB code. Heck you can use the forum's built in WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor. In simple, if you know how to make a forum post, you can write for the portal.

Jedizora

:right:
Oh. In that case...
Contest updates
Every week
Every time a new contest ends/ starts.

Djinn

and Tonic
For poster of the Week/day I think it is a good idea, it might inspire more posting in outside of regular chat or blogs. While it could also help certain members and let them have some spotlight on occasion.

Frequency:Maybe Every Friday or Saturday

Weekly is more reasonable than daily which people would ignore for the most part after a short period of time. Plus some days we might not have a special enough thread, the one from the day before might still be popular. Weekly can still be topical and gives a better range to pick from.

And I like SoL's idea on promotion updates as well since that is a big thing on the forum, some people are still left asking who was promoted days after the fact. However that could be included in Forum updates and have a frequency of once a month.

For poster of the Week/day I think it is a good idea, it might inspire more posting in outside of regular chat or blogs. While it could also help certain members and let them have some spotlight on occasion.

Frequency:Maybe Every Friday or Saturday

Weekly is more reasonable than daily which people would ignore for the most part after a short period of time. Plus some days we might not have a special enough thread, the one from the day before might still be popular. Weekly can still be topical and gives a better range to pick from.

And I like SoL's idea on promotion updates as well since that is a big thing on the forum, some people are still left asking who was promoted days after the fact. However that could be included in Forum updates and have a frequency of once a month.

If Djinn is volunteering for this position, I would be more then happy to help them. It will take some work to make a list of potential candidates and interview them as well as getting it posted to the portal.

agree with him that the frequency should be no more then weekly, and it might even be beneficial to have it be biweekly. potential questions would be

"What's your favorite Zelda game"
"What's your favorite part of ZD"
something random like "If you could be any flavor of cheese, which would you choose, why?"
"join date"
"number of posts"
and a picture of the person or their avatar.

EDIT: I also have a suggestion

Shout-outs - Member appreciation... If someone has someone who's done something special or nice for them they could PM the designated shout out person and every 2 weeks or so, produce either a video or audio or text file, celebrating these appreciations. If 2 weeks is unrealistic, monthly shout outs would work as well.

Austin

Austin
Shout-outs - Member appreciation... If someone has someone who's done something special or nice for them they could PM the designated shout out person and every 2 weeks or so, produce either a video or audio or text file, celebrating these appreciations. If 2 weeks is unrealistic, monthly shout outs would work as well.

This could be part of the poster of the week. It's one thing to say "Such and such is the poster of the week", but it would be nice to add a small interview.

I'm very thankful for all the volunteers!

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Something that just popped in my head, we have a lot of artists on ZD who make art but don't necessarily join the competitions. Thought maybe if there was something like an "art of the month" it would bring more attention to fan art. I, of course, am always trying to expand Zelda fan art.

RP posted this in the older Community Portal thread and I thought I'd bring it over here too.

Similar to poster/thread of the week etc, but featuring our art and graphics community. It could be similar to my front page weekly fanart spotlight, only this one pulls from the most recent artworks in our fanart boards. I'd gladly do this at a weekly/biweekly frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom