• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Coming Back Around" a Wind Waker Story

Alita the Pun

Dmitri

Ok ok BotW yadda yadda yadda. It's great and all but I wanted to see how it felt when compared with some of the older games. you see I loved BotW, but I'm not the biggest fan of these non-linear, open world games. I like to have a bit more of a structured story to my games. once I beat the main story in BotW I couldn't find much motivation to play anymore. its a spectacular game but I need that constant story to keep me going. so I went back and tried a game I had never got very far in: Wind Waker. when I originally started it, I wasn't a huge fan and quickly lost interest. I started playing it again recently and fell in love with it. I loved the structured story. I loved the actual dungeons. don't get me wrong. BotW was a fantastic game but it didn't have the complete Zelda "feel" if you know what I mean. I have now decided I'm going to play WW all the way through now and also finish ST. there were a lot of good things that came out of BotW but you just can't beat the classics. what's your opinion on BotW compared to an older game like WW or Oot? did BotW put the older, more structured games into a different perspective for you or are you happy and content with the new games?

:bubsy::bubsy::bubsy:

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I don't think a lot of 3D Zelda titles hold up very well when compared to Breath of the Wild.

Like it or not, 3D Zelda has some seriously condescending gameplay. They treat players like kids, shove them into boring tutorials that last for hours, and use companions to tell you when and where to go. In Wind Waker's case, it has a huge open world that you're only allowed to experience one bit at a time, since the King of Red Lions is a hard ass and doesn't let you explore at all during the game's first five hours or so.

Breath of the Wild, meanwhile, is the opposite. It respects the player and takes an entirely hands off approach to gameplay and narrative. I for one welcome its nonlinear approach to narrative, since it makes me feel like I'm discovering the story, rather than having it force-fed to me by some obnoxious imp or an overbearing demon boat.

I also don't understand the notion that Breath of the Wild didn't feature "actual" dungeons. Breath of the Wild features the best dungeon designs in the series. None of them rely on the item of the week nonsense other games use as a crutch.

Heck, most 3D Zelda games don't have actual puzzles.

You'll enter a room that you need the dungeon item to finish. You'll see right away what the solution is or what button you have to push, but you can't interact with it, because you don't have the item in question. The bosses are just as bad, seeing as they aren't bosses at all, but "puzzles" solved in sets of three. How often have we fought Mister Glowyeye-McWeaktoArrows?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I think i agree with Dommie, i kinda like being told what to do.... and pointed where to go...

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I guess it's all about what your playing the game for. are you playing to experience the Zelda title and story and music and everything that goes along with Zelda, or are you playing to decide your own fate, make your own choices and basically do you? thats not to say there can't be a mix of both in there. its all up to the personal POV

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
While I dont like tutorials, snd do like freedom, I also really like structure, and find traditional dungeons to be much better.

Wind Waker was a pretty good mix

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I just got BotW last week. It's all new to me and now that the game has really opened up, I'm loving the freedom. I keep hearing how the game lacks any real plot, it's basically just a rediscovery of Link's past, him trying to remember who he is because he has amnesia, and that's pretty much it. As someone who is a Zelda Theorist, and has put alot of time into studying the lore, yeah that is disappointing.

It isn't a game breaker for me, however. Ever since I got into Zelda with OoT I've wanted an openworld 3D Zelda game. After WW, and TP, I seriously did think the series was heading in that direction. I had hopes that SS would be the game to do it, it turned out to lack even an overworld. So a drop of a hard driven plot for play freedom, right now that's ok with me. This doesn't mean I want every future Zelda game to focus less on plot, just that for the time being it isn't so much of an issue for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom