• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Combining Genres

Cfrock

Keep it strong
If you could make a game that was a combination of two (or more) genres, which would they be?

For example, something which has been done a lot in the last few years is mixing First-Person Shooters with RPGs, giving us game like Bioshock and Borderlands or, indeed, Fallout 3 which is more RPG mixed with First-Person Shooter.

Another mix that has been less warmly greeted is the mix of Third-Person Shooter with Survival Horror, resulting in things like Dead Space and the modern Resident Evil games.

Stealth and Third-Person Shooter is another example. Games like Splinter Cell: Conviction and (to a much, much lesser extent) Hitman: Absolution have mixed bigger gunfights in with their traditional Stealth gameplay.

A lot of developers are merging genres in whichever ways they can to create new IPs or just reinvigorate older franchises. For better or worse, they don't seem to be stopping.

So if you could merge two (or more) genres, what would you mix?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I think that merging genres is a neat idea because I myself have a lot of genres I love to play. So if done right, I could play them all at the same time! :yes:

So for me it would be a mix between MMO, RPG and FPS. Giving us something like Fallout 3 mixed with World of Warcraft, We'd have things like elves and post-apocalyptic humans fighting against each other with magic and AK-47's. Then add a first person option to that and a live online world = Success! :cool:

Dan

Hmmm that's a hard one. I think you can mix rpg with nearly any genre really. RPG has been mixed already with, shooter, platformer, and heck even rts. i wouldn't mind combining Rpg with a sanbox style game like grand theft auto. Although in some ways it already has rpg elements in it. Perhaps RTS with first person shotter could be interesting. You can control units but at the same time go into a units view and start shooting up. Could be interesting to pull off. Too be honest I think battalion wars somewhat this. I would like to see more of that gameplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom