• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Combat Shrines

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Shoutout to @AncientPoe for giving me this idea!

What do you think of the combat shrines? Were they better, or worse than the puzzle shrines of BoTW, and do you think they could appear in other games?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I enjoyed the combat based shrines mostly because while you've got your enemy encampments and what not there isn't really a call for fancy footwork or shield bashing, you can literally brute force it all including lynels. Combat shrines you can brute force but they are there to serve as reminders about the other techniques.

I actually loved more so the different types of combat shrines ^^ it went from easy to hard and the rewards scaled properly. The puzzle shrines screw you on the rewards.

Combat shrines were/are fine, but could use some improvements. They do serve a purpose to teach you some fighting strats/methods that will serve you well during the rest of the game. They also serve to supply you with guardian weapons and shields.

What I don't like about them is the same thing I don't like about the rest of the game's enemies. That is, early game they are (relatively speaking) hard and properly scaled. You have to work to beat them - both in terms of learning HOW to fight them, and also knowing that you need at least some decent weapons to beat them (which is something you have to work get one way or another, either finding them via exploring, or fighting your way up enemy chains to get better weapon drops). But, as with most things in this game, once you start scaling your own skill at playing the game ... your armor ... your weapons ... well, this game basically doesn't require you to use all those tactics you were forced to use early on. Sure, you CAN use them... but once you're fairly well leveled up, you can just "brute force" you way through most enemies, including guardians and lynels.

So it comes down to a "flaw" in the entire game really ... In my opinion, as you progress and "level up" in ANY game, the game should get harder, more challenging, etc to keep things interesting for you. This game, however, just gets easier, and easier, and easier, and easier ... so by the time you get all your cool weapons, armors, upgrades, etc ... you can literally cheese your way through anything. I didn't enjoy that about this game ... and the combat shrines are just part of the equation.

MW7

They weren't my favorite. I liked the puzzle shrines much more and generally was disappointed when I entered a new shrine and realized it was a combat shrine. I found the combat shrines very difficult at first, but once you get the hang of fighting, they are just the same thing over and over.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I wasn't a huge fan of the combat shrines. In theory, I suppose they can be useful in teaching you skills. They admittedly helped me get the perfect dodge down, but after the first few, it was just repetitive. Major Tests of Strength were easy about halfway through the game and would just take time to fight.

Anytime I encountered a combat shrine, I knew it was placed there just because they wanted a warp point (and the number of shrines). And every time I was disappointed because a few/good amount of shrines are super creative and interesting. It was exciting finding a new shrine and learning how to solve it. But with combat, you knew what you were expecting, you experienced it a thousand times before, and just felt lazy.

I actually enjoyed them. I know there are a lot of different play styles for this game, with some of them leaning more towards evading fights than engaging in them, but I have to say I was most certainly not one for skipping a fight. I absolutely love the feeling of martial dominance in this game, I really enjoy the combat system (even though I can point out a few flaws). So I always found myself enjoying the combat shrines, even if I was overpowered for them because that just served to show me how much stronger I'd become over the course of the game. At one point I came upon a Major Test with only about 2 hearts left. Instead of eating food to heal up, I did the fight close to death. I managed to complete it without ever being struck, and got healed by the Monk at the end. It was times like that which filled me with a sense of accomplishment.

Ninja

Well well well
What do you think of the combat shrines?

I thought they were okay. I would have liked to see more variety in the enemies, did they ALL have to be various guardians? It would have been cool to have different assortments of enemies to fight. For example:

Minor TOS - Bokoblin camp with one Moblin/lower level guardian scout.
Modest TOS - Moblin camp with one Lizalfo/mid level guardian scout.
Major TOS - Lizalfos camp with one Wizzrobe/high level guardian scout.

Could have a lot more combinations with different colored enemies, etc. It would make for more entertaining combat shrines versus the same old scouts you have to flurry rush over and over again.

Were they better, or worse than the puzzle shrines of BoTW

To each their own, personally I enjoyed the extensive puzzle shrines more. However once I was trying to get enough hearts to pull the Master Sword, I was quite thankful to come across multuple combat shrines.

and do you think they could appear in other games?

I would hope not. They were a good concept for BoTW, but give me actual mini dungeons/full sized dungeons with better rewards and bosses.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
At first I loathed them. I only made the shrine a warping point and went away but later (when I started to hunt Lynels ) I was looking for those combat shrines all over again. Mainly because of their weapons. And I started to like them. Do I like them more than the puzzle shrines? Nope, but the rewards are definitely better because you get cool weapons and shields.

At first I loathed them. I only made the shrine a warping point and went away but later (when I started to hunt Lynels ) I was looking for those combat shrines all over again. Mainly because of their weapons. And I started to like them. Do I like them more than the puzzle shrines? Nope, but the rewards are definitely better because you get cool weapons and shields.
Not only that ... but the weapons/shields don't conduct electricity, making them great for use in lightning storms

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom