• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Color? Colour? Center? Centre? WHICH IS RIGHT?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Colour and centre. They use French grammar, and the 'u' changes the pronunciation. As English comes from England, I think you'll find anything else is a modification ;) no but seriously, try pronouncing 'color' in an English accent it sounds so stupid. But that's because we don't strongly pronounce the 'r'. Sigh, it's complicated. But you know what isn't complicated? Learning to spell properly instead of phonetically like the 'Muricans. (Please don't hurt me and please recognise a joke when you see one)

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
Colour and centre. They use French grammar, and the 'u' changes the pronunciation. As English comes from England, I think you'll find anything else is a modification ;) no but seriously, try pronouncing 'color' in an English accent it sounds so stupid. But that's because we don't strongly pronounce the 'r'. Sigh, it's complicated. But you know what isn't complicated? Learning to spell properly instead of phonetically like the 'Muricans. (Please don't hurt me and please recognise a joke when you see one)

That isn't a joke. It isn't insane enough. You see, when making fun of people, you can't actually use their argument, or talk like them. You have to be stupider.

Considering only the US uses words without the letter 'u' in it, I'd say how the US uses the words are incorrect. Words spelled with a 'u' in other countries are correct.

I wouldn't know, though. I'm 'Murican. :P

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Depends if you intend on British English or American English. Being neither, I tend to mix things up, mostly aiming for the British English, since I actually go to the UK a lot, but sometimes slipping up and using US spelling for some words as well. It's rather unavoidable, but I do my best to stick to one.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
The both technically are. Languages are not static things. Usually. The main reason why Latin is used so much in science is because it's not used in common practice outside of that anymore as a real language. So therefore it's not going to change anymore. Any other language will grow and adapt. English itself has changed quite a bit. If you look at English in England from the 1300s and compared it to English in England today, they'll look very different. Languages adapt, spellings change, new words are brought into it, and there's nothing you can do about that. Change is inevitable.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Well, if I'm not allowed to say both are right, then colour is right! :D The Anglo-Saxons know what's up!

And no, Chrome, that's right, stop underlining it in squiggly red and asking me to change it to 'color'. God damn American browser!! Q.o

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Well, if I'm not allowed to say both are right, then colour is right! :D The Anglo-Saxons know what's up!

And no, Chrome, that's right, stop underlining it in squiggly red and asking me to change it to 'color'. God damn American browser!! Q.o
I guess this is relevant to the topic then since most everyone uses Chrome. And people in... certain... countries will want to use the wrong spellings :right: that Chrome is not set by default to check for. It's possible to change it. Here's how:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Technically speaking, they are both correct, since they are the same word in different variations of the same language. In British English, the "U" is added to certain words following an o, and the "er" in words ending with "er" are reversed to make "re". When writing with British English, it is considered wrong to use color, honor, favorite, center, etc. Conversely, it is considered wrong when using American English to use colour, honour, favourite, centre, etc. British English and American English are two different variations of the same language, so both "color" and "colour" are correct depending on which version of the language you are using.

If you want to get really technical though, the British way of spelling certain words is the true right way, since American English is derived from British English but not the other way around.
Therefore, the British way of spelling words is correct and the American way is wrong, but like I said above, both are correct within their respective versions of the english language.

Also, just for the record, Canada primarily uses the British form of English, though many people spell words the American way. Here, it is correct to say "colour" and incorrect to say "color", but it really doesn't matter. When it comes down to it, it's basically like somebody in Canada using the imperial measurement system instead of the metric system; both work, and it's sort of more of a personal preference than anything. I think other countries, such as Australia, are more traditional British though when it comes to language, but I could be wrong.

Don't be that asshole that says both are right, because you are lame and nobody likes you.

sawwy bae

^I think most people in America (if they're not British) actually do spell words like color or favorite with the 'u' in it while some British, Canadian, or Australian actually use the American English (if they're not American, that is) instead of the British English. This just makes it more confusing to me because I don't know if they just prefer spelling them a certain way or what.

English is such a strange language alright.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
Actually, I just want to say, British English and American English developed independent of each other. Spellings were never constant in the olden days, and so both the Americans and the British tried to fix that, just with different spellings. So technically, neither is more "right" than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom