• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Collage and Job Advice

gannondorf

Dark Lord Gannondorf
Hello.

I am someone who is just getting out of high school and am discovering just how much I don't know about the hard cold truth of trying to survive and advance myself in the real world.

The only people I have so far asked advice from is both my mother and my grandfather.

The problem is, I am fearful that the advice they are giving me about surviving in the real world,about collage and degrees, and about entering and competing in the work force in a major industry may only be partially accurate, with one having gotten a pharmacy job with a degree over 15 years ago, the latter job no longer being held and has not truly competed in an industry ever sense and a grandfather who has had multiple jobs in a major industry,but has not been to collage for perhaps a good 40 years and has held the same good paying job for about 30 years, meaning he has not really had to compete much for his job in a very long time.

So I do question there credibility just a little bit when it seems like they have not been playing this game of collage and jobs for a rather long time.

So, I first ask you this.

please can you give me can give me and anyone else who comes across this forum some Advice about collage,jobs and life.

With that, I shall ask my questions.

First Question, is collage worth it in the current day world?(taking into account recession,ability to get a job,ability to compete for a job,being able to pay for collage,student loans) If so, why and if not, why not?

Second Question,does collage truly prepare you for the real world?

Third Question, it is my observation that both high school diplomas and collage degrees are all to common for people who have the financial resources,skill and know how to get them, meaning with just these things alone, you might end up looking just like the next 20 people next to you with a degree in your industry, meaning there is nothing that makes you truly stand out to an employer should you apply for a job in your chosen industry.

It is my conclusion that the only way to get around this is by building a portfolio of both jobs done in the past and of knowledge gathered that is current and relevant to there industry. is this conclusion correct?

fourth Question, What is the value of a collage degree? What is the value of experience in an industry? Which is greater in importance("If" considering both are important) when trying to enter and compete in an industry, experience in your industry and the jobs your taking or a collage degree?

fifth Question, besides my family and school counselor, Who should I ask advice from who can give me the full truth about what it takes to get a job in a major industry.

These are all the questions I have for now.

It is Possible I might add more add a future date.

Also, anything that you might want to add beyond just these questions is very much welcome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom