• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Help Classic Zelda Games: Which Would You Recommend?

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Hi there!

I'm sick and tired to see you all talk about the classic LoZ and having no idea what they are about. Enough! It's about time I played them!

Sooo... Where do I start? I know the timeline won't help me one bit (SS is supposed to be the first, after all :dry:), and I'm not sure if chronological order is a good idea either. I'd like to know which of do you like the most, and start from here.

Which game would you recommend me? Which one do you think is the best?

Thaaank you! :D

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
If there are any classic titles you HAVE to play, they're A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask. These are the series' definitive titles in every way, boasting exploration, great level design, solid combat, superb puzzle-solving (OoT and MM, anyway), and wonderful music. Yeah, I do have Skyward Sword placed right under them, but it doesn't have all that much exploration like those three do, so I can't call it a definitive title, even if it's one of the greats. Plus, it's a modern title lol.

So, yeah, those three games. Doesn't really matter which order you play them in. They're all fantastic.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
already have OoT and MM, and I loved them -by classic I meant before Oot, sorry for not having said so...

Link to the Past... sounds interesting. Thanks.

Still, waiting for more answers! :)

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
You won't believe it, but just now I realized how old OoT and MM really are... I didn't think so because I didn't play any other Zelda games between MM and TP (this is what happens when you've got old cousins who give you their old games -N64- and then you forget about ideo games untill the Wii appears. sigh...), and I guess I assumed all the others where previous, or something. But fact is, OoT was released tho decades ago -and still feels great!

This make me feel old...

Right, slight change of the topic: which games you'd recommend, CLASSIC and NEW, that are not OoT, MM, TP and SS.

Thank you! Please be patient with me!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Define "classic". But really, I wouldn't play anything before OoT. It's all trash. Yeah, I know I just pissed off several fanboys right now, but I don't care. It's trash to me--well actually LA is decent, but not that great.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I'd say start with Link to the Past or the the gameboy games.

Links Awakening is a perfect way to bring you in to the 2d zelda style.
The Oracle Games are a bit harder then Links Awakening but in my opinion better, but maybe not the best place to start. (They were made after MM, but still hold that classic feel to them)

I wouldn't recommend going straight to the LoZ original title, its a bit of a chore to actually play and beat, simply due to the lack of direction. (Don't get me wrong I like non linear game play, but I'd like to not have to get so bored i'm burning random bushes till I find something)

Link's Adventure (Zelda 2) Also drastically different title.

Over all I'd say start Link to the Past or Links Awakening.

Last edited:

Skittles

Rainbows!
I'd say start with Link to the Past of the the gameboy games.

Link to the Past is originally a SNES game. Oh, yeah, me and my smart aleckiness! :D

I would play both aLttP, Link's Awakening, and the Adventures of Link. Don't play the first Zelda, it might give you a headache. I find these titles are enjoyable. aLttP and LA are the first games to really have a pretty well thought out story line and have excellent (and sometimes challenging) dungeons...especially the later ones. Like the Skull Woods and the Ice Palace from A Link to the Past. Nice, hard dungeons and some hard enemies and bosses in them. It really is a sweat ride. :)

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Link to the Past is originally a SNES game. Oh, yeah, me and my smart aleckiness! :D

I would play both aLttP, Link's Awakening, and the Adventures of Link. Don't play the first Zelda, it might give you a headache. I find these titles are enjoyable. aLttP and LA are the first games to really have a pretty well thought out story line and have excellent (and sometimes challenging) dungeons...especially the later ones. Like the Skull Woods and the Ice Palace from A Link to the Past. Nice, hard dungeons and some hard enemies and bosses in them. It really is a sweat ride. :)

I meant to say Link to the Past "OR" the gameboy games, some times I type things I don't mean.

I would definitely recommend A Link to the Past and the Oracle games. They are fantastic, all of them.

Well, if you're counting anything BEFORE The Wind Waker as classic, I would suggest A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time depending on whether you prefer 2D or 3D, respectively. I would then play their sequels in the timeline :)

I am a fanboy but I don't let my love for the series blind me, if you want a classic zelda experience I would go with the original The legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, Links awakening, Oracle of seasons/ages and you might like Zelda II Adventure of Link but it is in my opinion the worst installment in the series, most of theses are after OoT but If you go pre OoT your choices aren't great, if you choose based off the opinions of the people here, listen to the majority they generally lead you in the right direction when it comes to game selection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom