• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Classic Elements That Should Return

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Basically speaking, what elements from the more classic games in the series do you think should return in Zelda Wii? I've got a list as well as descriptions and reasons why, but it's lengthy. In order for an element to be considered "classic" it had to have been used in MM, OoT, LA, ALttP, AoL, or the original LoZ.

EDIT: I changed a bit of the stuff and fixed typos as well as add a few classic elements that I forgot. I also extended the classic elements to games that were released in the year 2000 or earlier because technically, those are "Retro" games.

#1: Overworld as an Area

Gasp! I know, aren't I crazy? But that's the thing, we haven't gotten the overworld as an area since ALttP. In recent Zelda games such as Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks (don't get me wrong, ST is still my favorite but AoL is starting to give it a run for it's money), the overworlds have been little more than hubs to get to and from certain areas, such as towns and dungeons (thank you OoT, for giving us this downfall).​

In more classic titles such as LoZ and ALttP, the overworlds had craploads of stuff to do. You had Heart Pieces/Containers, sword upgrades, shops, shield upgrades, Medallions in the case of ALttP, optional items (technically you didn't even need the Blue Candle or the Blue Ring, but they helped a lot), and more stuff that I'm probably forgetting.​

In recent games like TP, there was a Heart Piece or two and then some useless collectibles (bugs and Poe Souls, both of which were more or less useless to get).​

Basically, the overworld was as much an area as any of the towns were.​

#2. Semi Lack of a Sidekick

Don't get me wrong, I loved the wise cracks Midna and Ezlo made (two of my favorite characters in the series), but they were too... how do I put it? Informative. Basically, Ezlo and Midna made the puzzles of the games too easy (although Ezlo was more cryptic with his hints, as I remember him saying in the Deepwood Shrine when you needed to use the Gust Jar to move across the water on the lily pad that "Unless we find a way to travel across the water, we're not getting anywhere" [although I played Super Mario Sunshine prior to that so I had a good guess of what I had to do]).​

This is another thing that the classic games had. They lacked a sidekick to make your quest painfully easy and boring. After all, what's the fun of puzzles when somebody tells you exactly how to do them? However, in LoZ and AoL this made it too hard, to be quite honest (thank God for walkthroughs for the original LoZ! I'd probably still be stuck in the First Quest after having it for over a year now). So what did ALttP improve? It gave you somewhat of a sidekick, in the form of a hint system. In preset places you could tune into Sahasralah's telepathic messages (and in one case in the Palace of Darkness Zelda, but she didn't help any) in order to attain a hint, but the choice of whether or not to tune in was up to you, thus allowing you to take the hardcore road, or the casual road as I like to call them.​

#3. Importance of Towns

One of the good things about AoL (and yes, it actually had good things about it! Go figure!) was it's system of towns. There were many towns with many people in them, coming and going and doing stuff. You could talk to them all and some didn't help (some saying "I know nothing" and "I can't help you" for instance), but every town served it's purpose and had hints and stuff to do there. There were places where you could restore your life and magic, Wise Men that taught you spells, and in some cases there were guards who taught you sword techniques.​

In recent games, however, there were only a few towns and they served little purpose. There might've been one or two Heart Pieces or upgrades you could get there, but beyond that there is nothing to do.​

#4. Nonlinearity

Yes, I do want to bring nonlinearity back into the Zelda Equation.​

And I'm sure a lot of you are going to argue that nonlinearity would cost us a quality plot for the games, but you are forgetting one key example that says otherwise. A Link to the Past. Yeah, ALttP is nonlinear (for the most part you could do the Dark World Dungeons in any order) and it had incredible in game story.​

Basically, the first three dungeons are in ABC order without any bending or breaking (at least, not without cheats or glitches) and the story was explained pretty well. And when the game really kicks off (Dark World exploration), you get basically a non linear style.​

While you had to do some dungeons before others (you had to do levels 1, 5, and 6 before you did 7 and so on), it was mostly linear, allowing you to skip certain stuff. In addition to this, the plot of the game was revealed in chunks by the maidens as you rescued them (and early in the game by Sahasralah and the old man on the mountain), which was actually pretty captivating. This is what I want to see in Zelda Wii. Nonlinearity with the story being revealed in chunks in some sort of way (perhaps something similar to the Chozo Lore and Pirate Data in Metroid Prime?), thus allowing you to have the difficulty of nonlinearity without sacrificing a good plot.​

#5. Classic Difficulty

I recently thought of another one while playing AoL and thought I'd squeeze it in here. The classic difficulty. The quests have become painfully easy and dull lately with gamers having to put in less and less effort over time to beat a game.​

This is what the classic games had. They were pretty dang hard, in both terms of AI and in terms of puzzles. Even AoL with it's simple layout made me scratch my head in certain dungeons (and I had to completely restart my playthrough because I went the wrong way ><). While I do agree that bringing back the difficulty of the NES classics is unnecessary (as that would put off too many fans from the greatest video game series known to man), I think that the difficulty of the SNES classic, A Link to the Past should come back. The puzzles were pretty good, but not over the top like it was in LoZ (you had to walk through walls in some parts of the Second Quest and I think the First Quest. Seriously, who's going to figure that out within less than an hour?) which is good.​

The AI of the enemies was also pretty challenging, but not over the top like it was in AoL and they did a fair amount of damage to you (not like "three hits and your dead with maxed out health" during the Thunderbird fight and not like "Even during three heart challenges you still can't be killed unless you try" like in recent games).​

Really, what's the fun of playing something if it's just handed to you with little effort? Really, they should just stop making games so easy and actually give the players a challenge.​

#6. Travel by Foot

This pretty much goes without saying. While I enjoyed the train from ST, I just feel that it was unnecessarily modern. Epona is fine and dandy, but that limits what can be done in the overworld. Basically, I want the classic format of traveling on foot with warps back, as I thought that was the best way to travel in Zelda. It's just your boots clomping on the ground exploring by foot and warping over long distances.​

Really, while Epona is epic and all, she really doesn't do much good to the overworld and the gimmicky travel modes like the train just didn't do any good either.
#7. Items Stay Useful
Another thing modern games lack. In recent games such as Twilight Princess we get epic items such as the Ball and Chain and the Spinner that are used about... once or twice at the most.

In more classic games such as ALttP and LoZ the items stayed useful throughout the entire game. For instance, the Boomerang from the original. As soon as you got it, it was very useful. It allowed you to pick stuff up that you wouldn't be able to get otherwise (very useful for getting things like the Bomb Upgrades), allowing you to not have to chase down those annoying Keese, and stunning some of the tougher enemies. There was also the Bow from ALttP which is very useful at many points in the game. If Nintendo wants to give us more unique items like the Ball and Chain, then by all means give them to us. But, at least make an effort to make them useful throughout the game.
#8. Optional Items
Another thing the recent games lack is the existance of Optional Items. Basically, items that you don't need to get but are useful anyways. For instance, the Rings and Tunics from LoZ and ALttP respectively. They were both completely optional but they helped a lot. Why is it that Nintendo feels the need to strip us of these great items? It's not like it's going to ruin the game.
#9. Magic/Magical Items
Another thing recent games lack. The use of Magic has been a large part of the series for a long time. AoL introduced it with it's various spells that were used for puzzles and helped out with combat and whatnot and ALttP further expanded on it with the use of Magical Items (the Medallions). These added gameplay value if you ask me and also added some difficulty for making sure to always have enough magic power.

Well that's it from me for now. Anything you want to add? Do you think I'm wrong and these elements shouldn't return (although I can't understand why somebody wouldn't want these awesome things back)? Are there classic elements that you think I missed? Tell me about it here.​

Last edited:

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I actually don't mind having a full-time companion...what I think would be neat is if we could have the option to turn off in-game hints and only keep the dialogue that pertained to the story.

But that's more a response to your list than a comment of my own, so let me add one. Going all the way back to the original Legend of Zelda, the Death Mountain Labyrinth was the largest and most difficult dungeon in the game. The dungeons I've played since have done fairly well in terms of atmosphere, but I feel the game creators may have held back from throwing something too hard in at the last part. In the first game the journey to defeat Ganon was actually worse than the fight itself. I'm not advocating a boss that's less hard than the dungeon, but I want to really feel like the castle is not just fortified, but that it's almost impossible to reach him (the maze with hidden entrances was diabolical). Makes finding and defeating him all the more satisfying.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!! Phlegm.... How is every Zelda game after MM hard? EXCUSE ME! OOA is impossible! I'm saying that even though I've beaten it. The dungeons in that game actually fried my brain. The night I did Jabu-Jabu's Belly, after I finished, I was walking funny, had a very bad headache, and could barely talk. And the temple took me 3 hours. ........ Just to easy huh? (I hate having to get things off my chest :P )

I'd like to see, awkwardly enough, better and more towns. Mases made a post just a day or 2 ago about this, and I agree with everything in it. Read that so I don't need to say anything.

Also, yes hard puzzles. I say that WW-now was just to easy. And also, what happened to the sense of fun? The first 3 Zeldas, LoZ, AoL, ALttP, they were so much fun I couldn't put them down. Now, Zelda is just pure awesome, but it's not as fun as it used to be. NOT DISSING ZELDA AT ALL!

I also want good stories back. I feel like they didn't spend so much time on that with the past few, back to MC, MC having a great story. Story wise:
1. Link's Awakening
2. Majora's Mask
3. Minish Cap
You see that LA and MM are older ones. I want a good story.

!All that has been stated is clasic since it was all in the original LoZ!

LANZZ

Scarecrow
1) Wise old man that give advice.
2) Kind Moblins that give rupees.
3) Pieces of Heart
4) Sword beam
5) Classic enemies like Wizzrobe, Moblin, and others

I agree with you 100%!
Non-linearity, and the lot!
And another thing to add to the list.

Optional items! There are some items in random side quests or caves off the side of the road that you can use in dungeons and actually help you but you dont need them to beat the game. I used one of the medallions in the ice palace so many times and it was the main reason I didn't kill myself over how hard that place was lol.
I LOVE difficulty.
The insane difficult confusing dungeon before the final baddy s an awesome idea!
Just once you beat it you can get a warp to him so when you ide 10 times you can just tr again/
Bosses gotta be harder and you should be able to kill them with weapons besides the one you got in the dungeon!

Hero Of Spirits

Champion of Cyrodiil
1. Items that can used throughout the WHOLE game. That's my first request. Give items like the Spinner & Ball & Chain the boot, but bring them back & make them more useful, like a specific weapon can only defeat a specific enemy, for example.
2. Orchestrated Music. This is a must. Makes the whole game feel more epic, & the only way to do that is have a awsm solo bit blasting out at you while riding on Epona. It was great in TP, but they can make it better, which leads to my third suggestion.
3. A living, breathing Overworld. Just like what MK9 said, have more things to do in the overworld. Make it like TP's, but fill it with more houses & towns & people that say 'Hello' as you ride/walk past. That would make the game more living & real, which would be brilliant.

I'll think of some more...

L

leftyrock91

Yeah I'd love to see some type of guitar-type instrument. Or the Ocarina.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
MK9 mentioned most of what I would have mentioned, so that really cuts my post's length down by a lot.

One thing I'd really like to see brought back is music that varies. With more recent games, the tunes all fit to the overall theme of that game whereas the music in older games varied according to how you were supposed to feel. I feel the main reason this change has happened is because now that we have better graphics, Link and other characters can display the emotion we should be feeling through facial expressions and body language. However, this had led to many games' music having the majority of their OSTs sound unvaried. I'm not saying the music has become bad, oh no don't get me wrong! I'm just saying that I really miss how varied it was.

An example is the loud, regal brass that plays when you first enter the castle in A Link to the Past. It just booms with majesty. Or how about the music that played during the storm on the way to the secret path to get inside the castle? Or when you saved a maiden, Zelda's Lullaby played, and it sounded so... so calming and soothing after the grim tones of the dungeon. Skip over to Ocarina of Time. Still lots of varying music. Kokiri Forest sounded like........ the music of children. Fitting, yes? And then when you stepped out into Hyrule Field, the music escalated to sounds of adventure. How about how the Forest Temple's music sounded like something once beautiful and serene had been twisted into something mysterious, ominous, and creepy? It fit the temple perfectly and really emphasized how we should feel if we were really in a place like that.

But... more recent games, while they have nice music, sound unchanging. TP, though lots of new compositions were made and there were some unique tracks, sounds monotonous and desperate (as this was part of the overall theme-- dark) throughout the entire game. Spirit Tracks, while having very upbeat music (overall theme- light hearted) didn't really provide much of a change. Games have good music, I'm not arguing that, but I really with they'd return to the greatly varying sounds, rhythms, and feelings that they used to offer.

1 Overwolrd as an area: I don't really understand what you mean by this
2 Semilack of a sidekick: I completely agree with you, I mean in MM Tatl spoils your battle with Majoras Mask, making the battle easier than Gyorg's battle, and an easy game is not very fun to play
3 Importance of towns: While I never played AoL I think that the towns should be given more importance instead the typical ranch town, kakariko village and the castle town
4 Nonlinearity: I think this would make the game to be pretty easy because if you dont remember you start with 3 heart containers so if yo get to chose the first boss all would be pretty much the same don't you think?
5 Classic difficulty: 100% agree zelda is getting to easy, it shoul return to the hard games we all love
6 Travel by foot: Disagree at 300% I think they are okay as lonk as they are not mechanical
7 Items stay useful: The spinner is my favorite weapon of all zelda games and it is used for about 5 minutes ¬¬
8 Optional items: well I think everyone agrees with you here, we all want optional items, and I'm not talking about empty bottles and heart pieces
9 Magic items: Agree 100%

The overworld as something more than a way to get you from dungeon to dungeon. The option of non-linearity in an AoL/ LttP style (for story reasons). Actually make it difficult. Sidescrolling. 2d graphics (I love these games' graphics, especially LoZ and LttP). Overhead style.

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
1. Orchestrated music. Why? So we musicians can play songs on our instruments very easily
2. Huge Overworld. Why? More places to explore.
3. A special instrument that Link will play. Why? Look at Majoria's Mask, Ocarina of Time, kind of Twilight Princess, and others. They all have instruments that Link plays and they rock like ****.
4. Awesome Storyline with a lot of twists. Why? One of the reasons why I play Legend of Zelda is because of the great gameplay. No great gameplay, no Panda's preorder.
5. Non-annoying sidekicks. Why? Hey. Listen. Watch out. You get my point.
6. A ton of side quests, but not pointless ones. Why? Sides-quests add to the game, but too many can destroy the point of the game.
7. Puzzles, puzzles, puzzles! Why? Because at one point, you have to wake up that sleeping brain of yours while playing Legend of Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom