• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Clans

I like the idea of having set number of clans, and having a personality-like quiz to decide which clan they'll be in (not sure who suggested this, but I think it's a great idea). This will stop clans from becoming cliqish and it could allow a chance for people who don't usually converse, to get to know each other.

ZD is becoming ZU

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I've seen a lot of sites use things like clans, never once seen any of them allow joining more than one. Kind of removed the whole point from them really. Might as well just add 2-3 more forum sections and go with it at that.
Who wants to be a comformist anyway? We can set our own path. I do think that the ability to join more than one would be of great benefit and can help prevent clans from creating hostile rivalries.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Who wants to be a comformist anyway? We can set our own path. I do think that the ability to join more than one would be of great benefit and can help prevent clans from creating hostile rivalries.

I dunno man, joining more then one clan would defeat the purpose of a "clan"
I'm not worried about rivalries with the clans i suggest. Because its has a purpose and actualy would help people to get closer who shares a common interest in specific boards. I don't see a "fan-artist" to be a rival of a "mature debater" for example.

I would expect to see rivalries if people could create their own clan with no purpose whatsoever and just be some sort of fan/friend club.

You're not helping the case of differentiating between clans and groups.
This^

ZD is becoming ZU

I have to agree, the amount of people who are here who joined ZU say they hate it there, but yet they try to be a ZU forum.

Honestly I would have to put a no on this; comparing wise I notice a selective amount of people who are constantly active here, its just best to leave it the way it is. It will quickly go inactive and pointless. Well that's how I see it.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I have to agree, the amount of people who are here who joined ZU say they hate it there, but yet they try to be a ZU forum.

Honestly I would have to put a no on this; comparing wise I notice a selective amount of people who are constantly active here, its just best to leave it the way it is. It will quickly go inactive and pointless. Well that's how I see it.

Just because we adding a clan system doesnt mean its becoming like ZU. Thats like saying that every food dish which requires meat as an ingredient is a hamburger.

ZU's clans is just 3 clans which only serves the purpose of battling eachother. The forum supports and promotes rivalries. I'm assuming we are trying to do things a bit different.

Just because we adding a clan system doesnt mean its becoming like ZU. Thats like saying that every food dish which requires meat as an ingredient is a hamburger.
I'm not talking about that, there is also a name changing system along every 6 months (along with a few others but I haven't entirely checked it. But there is more to that than just the clans.

ZU's clans is just 3 clans which only serves the purpose of battling eachother. The forum supports and promotes rivalries. I'm assuming we are trying to do things a bit different.

The who point of clans is to better each other and know who we all could relate to. You make friends with other people who you have no idea who you will encounter and once out of the year we have a competition to get us closer as a whole to work with our group against others.

What I'm saying is, you are all friends, you all know each other of some sort; what is the point of having clans for something when there is groups and a shoutbox with Skype? It's just more clutter and a mess to deal with.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
The who point of clans is to better each other and know who we all could relate to. You make friends with other people who you have no idea who you will encounter and once out of the year we have a competition to get us closer as a whole to work with our group against others.

Nope, that doesnt necessarly has to be the point of having clans. You are just looking it from one perspective. I already explained of how this can work without rivalries. But yes, yearly competitions can be a part of it, if ZD wants it that is.

What I'm saying is, you are all friends, you all know each other of some sort; what is the point of having clans for something when there is groups and a shoutbox with Skype? It's just more clutter and a mess to deal with.

I really dislike repeating my arguments so ill just copypaste

[ilquote=onilink89]Because its has a purpose and actualy would help people to get closer who shares a common interest in specific boards. I don't see a "fan-artist" to be a rival of a "mature debater" for example.[/ilquote]

Last edited:

Doc

BoDoc Horseman

I don't believe the ZU forums are bad or anything, but the community is. The main reason I, personally, steer away from that site because of it is way too hostile over there. I can't speak for those who have said they hated it, but there are many reasons they could dislike it other than the way the forum was setup. ((Also, the name change system was awful before, every six months is just a much better system)).

In regards to clans, I think they could work if they aren't too intrusive with discussion in the threads and as long as things can be kept civil between different clans. I don't have many ideas for clans, as I would only be reiterating what has been previously stated by others. I am also opposed to people being able to create their own clans with a mods permission. From what I understand, a big purpose of clans is to help people get to know others who they'd normally not talk to. Personal clans would only serve to promote cliques by making a fine clear line between each of them. A set number should probably be put into place first.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I'd ask that people refrain from the apathetic posts that don't do anything to contribute to this discussion. Djinn I think has brought this up a lot in various chats, and I think I reflect his view that a lot of the real issues are a result of people feeling the need to post their sarcasm or apathetic remarks. If you don't care, or you can't talk about the idea constructively, then don't post. All you are doing is creating a negative feeling and making people not want to come to the thread. I'm sorry if anyone feels directly targeted by this when they believe they didn't do what I'm describing. If you don't believe you posted in the way I described, then please disregard this post; it wasn't meant for you.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
I'm not quite sure how clans work, but as long as the idea isn't enforced and doesn't make me unable to talk to the people I usually talk to, then I guess it could be OK.

But if there is any amount of force involved in this new idea, then I don't want that. I like things the way they are, and I'd rather not be forced into a group of people I didn't ask to be a part of.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
But that's the point behind a competition, it's supposed to create rivalries.
You're thinking of a different kind of rivalry. The kind we want to avoid is the hostile, angry, bitter hatreds. For example, what people think of the knights now. It's a deeply rooted anger. Or maybe you can compare it to two competing religions like Christianity and Islam. They are rivals, but hostile rivals. The kind of rivalry we want is something more like sports rivals. There would be competition, but it wouldn't be out of anger and it wouldn't be about destroying and undermining the position opposing you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom