• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Clans

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Can I just ask, how would you meet "like minded people"? You're basically splitting ZD up into 3 sections and choosing either based on what theme you think is best, the user badge given, or existing friends in the group. This is why i think custom clans is a better idea; it gives more of a personalisation factor and that bit of uniqueness to each and every clan rather than segregating the forum for the sake of it.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Can I just ask, how would you meet "like minded people"? You're basically splitting ZD up into 3 sections and choosing either based on what theme you think is best, the user badge given, or existing friends in the group. This is why i think custom clans is a better idea; it gives more of a personalisation factor and that bit of uniqueness to each and every clan rather than segregating the forum for the sake of it.

Custom clans would mean that the clan would be pretty narrowed down, if I'm understanding you correctly. For example somebody who loves the Gerudo race from OoT, they make a clan, maybe 5 people join... and that is it. It would basically be like a group and die out after a while. Or am I totally misinterpreting what you mean by custom clan?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Custom clans would mean that the clan would be pretty narrowed down, if I'm understanding you correctly. For example somebody who loves the Gerudo race from OoT, they make a clan, maybe 5 people join... and that is it. It would basically be like a group and die out after a while. Or am I totally misinterpreting what you mean by custom clan?
I just think the idea of 3 large clans wouldn't really give the clan any identity, individuality, or common ground. It's not that I'm against the idea, it's just that my perfect scenario for clans to work would be more custom, or maybe more clans (the 5 elements for example). 3 seems just too little as if we are segregating the forum for no true purpose. I predict a lot of people will join a clan but not get involved with the goings on as they'll feel overwhelmed so to say with all the members in there.

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I just think the idea of 3 large clans wouldn't really give the clan any identity, individuality, or common ground. It's not that I'm against the idea, it just that my perfect scenario for clans to work would be more custom, or maybe more clans (the 5 elements for example).

I would normally say that too, but the ZD community doesn't feel big/active enough for 5 (or more) clans. I'm still trying to figure out what topics could make 5 clans different from each other enough so that a reasonable amount of members joined and stayed active within that certain clan. I am not against letting the community decide though, could easily let the CC make a competition or something were the community brainstorms on ideas of what clans we could have and the best ones go to voting stages? Then it would technically be custom clans, the community came up with them and agreed upon them ?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I would normally say that too, but the ZD community doesn't feel big/active enough for 5 (or more) clans. I'm still trying to figure out what topics could make 5 clans different from each other enough so that a reasonable amount of members joined and stayed active within that certain clan. I am not against letting the community decide though, could easily let the CC make a competition or something were the community brainstorms on ideas of what clans we could have and the best ones go to voting stages? Then it would technically be custom clans, the community came up with them and agreed upon them ?
Asking the community is the way to go about this idea, which is why I highly don't recommend it being done by one, two, maybe 3 people. My idea is just one simply because I have a concern that 3 groups will kind of overwhelm some of the more quieter people on ZD, but yeah I fully understand that ZD probably doesn't have the active user limit to support 6 large active groups (that's a big flaw in my idea for sure). Yeah but leave this up to the community definitely.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Instead of having 1 HK group let's have multiple HK like groups full of gossip and flaming of outside members. :)

Obvious solution.

My problems with the clan idea.

-If there's no exclusivity then what's the point.
-If there is exclusivity then we are just making more HK groups.
-There will probably a limited amount of clans so not everyone will get along.
-I doubt you can be demoted from clans for being bad.
-Fights inside the clan because of mixes between different members.
-Fighting between clans. There are already small rivalries on ZD. This will magnify it.
-HK are better and nicer people who would never do these things because that's why they were selected.

Last edited:

Blackkirby

Proud Jesus Freak !
I would love clans but ayano is right if we cant make ferinds on ZD then this will cause more people to leave do we really weant this?

Fig

The Altruist
While I personally find the idea of clans interesting, I do have concerns about its implementation. For starters everyone would have the ability to make a clan. That's where the problem lies. It's not that only certain people should make a clan, but rather this would mean that there could potentially an overflow of clans. Yes, I do understand that an Admin/forum staff must give permission for the clan to be created, but there are so many ideas and themes that a clan can be: Smash Bros, Nintendo, Science & Technology, Sports, Hobbies, Role-Playing, etc. Because of this, I have a feel that these clans would fall to the same faith that the group section of the forums is currently going through. There is an abundance of groups, but only a few survive after a week of creation in terms of activity. I fear that should a multitude of clans were to be implemented, most of these clans would probably just be a pointless thing. Therefore, I argue that only a few clans should be created. I personally don't see ZD big enough to support six clans but I do believe that should be the maximum at best. If clans are going to be a potential aspect in the forums, then I really hope that the clans don't go done the same demise as the group section is going through since practically forever.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
It still looks like everything that clans are wanted for is already available through groups, only groups have several problems which make them unsatisfactory. I'm willing to put serious time into modding the group system. I just don't think it makes sense to have both system A and system B which is the same as system A but better. Just make system A better. Things get confusing with too many systems like this. "I want to start a discussion. Do I post a thread? Reply to an existing thread? Post a blog? Use the chatbox? Post in a group? Create a new group? Post in the clan forum?"

As for improving the groups system, this is what I have in mind:
-add a "Featured Groups" section on the groups page, above the "Recently Updated" section, containing 4-6 popular groups
-have periodical (somewhere between monthly and semi-annually) 'clan battles' that determine which groups are featured
-the (let's say 6) currently featured groups vie for (let's say 4) spots for the next term, while currently unfeatured groups (nominated somehow?) vie for the remaining 2
-alternatively, make it an automatically calculated "Popular Groups" list based on some combination of membership and activity.

I think this would promote stability in groups/clans that are sufficiently broad and popular while still encouraging custom-made ones. I should be able to add something to the postbit or maybe even username based on featured group membership. The one thing that might be unfeasible is restricting members to joining only one of the featured groups, if that's desirable.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I should be able to add something to the postbit or maybe even username based on featured group membership.

I think that's the big change that people would like over everything.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
If we are to implement this idea, I don't think we should organize it based off interests. Personally, I think the clans should serve the same purpose that a house or team system would in a school: divide a large body of people up into a couple large groups so as to create a greater common ground amongst them. Whereas, groups created based off of interests or similar goals should be relegated to the groups page, similar to clubs in a school. The real question is: are we a large enough body of people to reap the benefits of a system like this? Do we feel like we are disconnected as a community and only really know a select few people on this site?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
We should start focusing on getting this idea going. As I said in the other thread, I'd like to convert the knights into a support group clan that is dedicated to being helpful and a positive influence. People would join it on request, no voting at all, just come right in, when they want to help others or if they need help. Things to help with can be things helping with an emotional crisis someone is having in their life, helping with depression, helping with thoughts of suicide, helping with breakups, all that stuff. And an atmosphere of positive attitudes I think can help a lot of the tensions we have. A private place that non-registered people can't see and that an admin or mod has to add someone to can make people feel safe about talking about their feelings, such as someone trying to deal with coming out as gay/bi/trans and not wanting their family to know just yet. It happens and I think will help.

We obviously can't just have one clan so I think other ideas on what to have are important. One I idea I had was to have a clan for each element and having a theme around all of them. Like forest, water, wind, spirit, shadow, whatever. We can also do other things. I think they should all have a color. Color is something people have complained is too exclusive. If we make it something casual that anyone can easily get, we can make people feel more on the same level and ease tensions. We can run friendly competitions between clans. It's something I think can help us solve a lot of the problems we've been having and that we can use to cultivate a more positive atmosphere for now on. I really think we should work together to brainstorm ideas of what we can do to make this work and things we can do to expand what we already came up with. We have people who plan competitions all the time, I'm sure they can come up with some clever ideas for clan competitions. We have a lot of potential here that we can work on and it'd be a shame to let it go to waste.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I like the Burgers vs Tacos idea. Just have two clans, culminating in an annual event, after which the clans are replaced with two new ones. Nintendo did something like that recently - Camp Miiverse - with Mario vs Zelda or something.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I genuinely think HK should be removed (see last poll) and clans should be introduced. Not as a substitute, but more so as a new fresh idea to reinvigorate the community. The idea I previously had about the Sage symbols, being either 5 or 6 clans, seems slightly excessive with the current number of active members. It depends on what we want these clans to be though. Do we want a small number of clans with a large number of members? Or more clans with more of an individual feel to them?

So what's people's thoughts, smaller clans in quantity, or larger clans but a small number? I'm fine with either to be honest.

Last edited:

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I think we first need to take a look at how many active core users we have on ZD and then decide on an appropriate amount of clans proportionate to that amount.

For the record though, I think fewer clans with a larger population of members would be the way to go and, when necessary, new clans can always be created to accommodate an influx of members.

I am also a fan of the Sage Symbols being used, but I think I preferred the idea that Mercedes had a while back that was expanded upon by Jimmy.F27 of using the races in the series:

Kokiri, Goron and Zora! :P
Yeah, I agree with Mercedes that the races in Zelda could be good names.
Zora Clan
Minish Clan
Hylian Clan
Sheikah Clan
Mogma Clan
Kokiri Clan
Gerudo Clan
Goron Clan
+ others that I've forgotten
That's quite a few examples though, it'd probably have to be narrowed down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom