• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Choose Sides!

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Hi everyone!

However I dislike this game, I admit that Skywards Sword made a great step forward allowing the player to chose some of his answers. it was cool to see that finally you had some voice, and could point out your opinion, even if it was only in very concrete and small situations. I myself loved to annoy everyone them what they didn't want to hear.

But, let's take another step forward! What if you could decide not only what to say, but also what to do? There are a lot of situations in which Link takes important decisions (Yes, I'll help you, or yes, I'll risk everything to save you, etc), but they all are imposed, either by gameplayless scenes or because the game won't advance unless you do it.

Is there a moment in which you didn't think "Yes, yes, I'm the Hero of Time, I'll save the world, that's what I do!", but "Screw this, I'll go home" or "I don't want to save the world, i want to CONQUER IT! Wait for me, Ganny!" instead? In short, which side would you be on?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Essentially I'd side with team "Link": I would ally myself with neither the dark foes like Ganon, Demise, etc nor the supposed light heroes being Zelda, Impa, etc. I'd strike my own path since "Link" is my avatar - or at least he once was. It would be cool if the dialogue choices actually affected the twists and turns that the story laid out for us. Non-linearity? Check. Allowing us to ally ourselves at least to the neutral stage, if not dark? Check. Meaningful choices rather than empty one-liners? CHECK! :yes:

Also, I'd side with team Link during the moments that
Zelda/Hylia is revealed.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
This sounds like the good and evil system from Mass Effect. But even in games like Mass Effect or Open World Games like Grand Theft Auto, you have to follow a strict path. In the end, you will play the story of the team, which developed the game.

Personally, a bit more freedom in Zelda would be nice. The first two games proofed it is possible. I think, the decisions you make in Zelda, should be more important to the story.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
SPOILERS AHEAD!

I posted this thread because I remembered playing OoT, when Zelda rushes out of the Castle and Ganodorf rides past Link somewhat later and asks you for directions! And I was all like "This way, sir. Can I join?" I was 9 then, and i still think it now XD

And i thought, surely someone else wanted a different adventure for Link.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
And i thought, surely someone else wanted a different adventure for Link.

It may sounds a bit conservative, but I also go with Team Link here. I like really evil antagonists. Playing as an antagonist from time to time is nice too (Wario, Bowser). But team up with the evil? No, that's a bit too much for a game with a High Fantasy setting. This would be like, teaming up with Morgoth or Sauron and destroy Middle Earth.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
What's wrong with teaming up with Sauron? He's boss!

I can combine this with the topic, don't worry :D

You're right, Sauron is one of the greatest Antagonists you probably never saw in person :O
Sure, when I'm watching or reading something created by Tolkien, I sometime wish I would be one of the bad guys (because they are really evil). The same goes for Ganondorf. I adore him, because he is a very cruel guy. I would love to see a defeated Hero in a Zelda game. But I don't wish to play it, or, stabbing poor Link when I control Ganondorf. This would only feel wrong^^

Link is the hero, and always will be the hero. Why else is he called hero of time, hero of winds, hero of men, etc. I would like your choices to carry more weight, but an evil link? NO THANK YOU, GOOD DAY SIR!!! Go play infamous or fable or whatever you want, Zelda is not the game for morality decisions.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
No, I don't really think you should be able to pick sides. It just wouldn't work either, now the HH is around. There's a timeline and that would mess with it. Plus Link is supposed to be a hero, not a villain.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No, I don't really think you should be able to pick sides. It just wouldn't work either, now the HH is around. There's a timeline and that would mess with it.

Actually...with the split timeline fact, you could argue that any two of the branches are non-canon thanks to the linear nature of time. Unless [until?] we people in the real world can fast-forward and move through time like a fish does water, I will argue now and forever that the present is a "static" term in that we're constantly in the static but each moment at the same time instantaneously turns into the past. This effectively means that there is only one true timeline, and that some branch has to be false. Since it's ambiguous as to which branch is the false one, any timeline could be denoted as noncanon which finally means that anything goes. ^^

Plus Link is supposed to be a hero, not a villain.
I don't disagree with that - the concept of Link is always the rising Hero (or the Hero Rises Again).
-----------
I just figured yet another moment. In Oracle of Seasons, you're constantly pushed to venture on in the quest, go from dungeon to the Temple of Seasons or some other objective. However, visiting the lava baths of Subrosia, I can saythat I truly want nothing more than to assimilate myself into their culture. ^^

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I just figured yet another moment. In Oracle of Seasons, you're constantly pushed to venture on in the quest, go from dungeon to the Temple of Seasons or some other objective. However, visiting the lava baths of Subrosia, I can saythat I truly want nothing more than to assimilate myself into their culture. ^^

I agree! Let Link be whatever he wants! I'd like to be a farmer (Harvest Moon style), or maybe even a traveling merchant. Link finds all sorts of neat loots he can sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom