• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Choose One Thing You Hope for from BotW 2

So you are mostly interested in the darkness as a way of improving plot?
(And not necessarily gameplay?)

Yes, this is completely about the story.
I don't know how dark themes could change gameplay mechanics. I hope they come up with more challenging puzzles and continue with the physics stuff in BOTW, which I'm sure they will.

I'd like to see older enemies return in new iterations like the Lynels and Hinoxs did in the last game. May be have Darknuts/Iron Knuckles, these huge enemies clad head to toe in armor, and Link having to have one-on-one sword battles with them. Could have Dodongos come back as big overworld bosses like the Talos and others were.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I suppose I would summarize my biggest hope for BOTW2 as simply wanting better variety in many aspects. With an overworld as big as the one we were given, I want to see different enemy/boss types (including the redesign of ones we've seen in previous games), not just the same enemy with a different colour scheme. I want areas with unique puzzles that are actually challenging to solve. I want to hear musical compositions that are memorable and immediately transport me back to a certain spot in the story. Now that's not to say I wasn't a fan of BOTW's soundtrack; in fact, a more minimalist approach made sense given the overall naturalistic tone of the game. But I do miss hearing themes you already know will become iconic. These can all relate to the return of more traditional Zelda elements, like dungeons and permeable items, so it's fair to say that I thought outside but pressed right up against the creative box. :sweat:

I do think it's high time we saw the return of the magic meter, though. I think a lot of interesting things could be done with that.

I'm not really a fan of blank-slate avatar Link, so I disagree with some of the above suggestions.

In fact, I wish for the opposite, to get to know more about the Hero himself, especially after him recovering his memories and meeting Zelda again.

When he first opened up to the Princess, he explained his silent behavior as a way of hiding his own feelings and insecurities about what everyone expected him to be. This time, he has no need to hide anymore.

IMHO, BOTW2 should be built upon the character dynamic between Link and Zelda. Back in the castle where she trapped Ganon during a hundred years. Finding out more about the secrets that lie beneath. Working together to rebuild Hyrule's Kingdom, to bring order to a land devastated by Ganon's hatred and malice.

Together. As playable co-protagonists.

For a game where the player character is supposed to be projection of the player into a fantasy world, give me a character creation screen, let me decide his/her name, physical appearance and attributes.

But BOTW is not that game.

Zelda as a protagonist. I've never been satisfied with Link as a character. He's barely more than a cardboard cutout, and he rarely expresses any sort of initiative. Maybe now that Miyamoto isn't hovering over everyone and telling them to stop being creative, Zelda can have her time to shine.

I think Link is intentionally a silent protagaonist (and one without an internal flaw that needs overcoming). This allows the audience to project themselves onto him, which is a common technique in storytelling, especially videogames.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I think Link is intentionally a silent protagaonist (and one without an internal flaw that needs overcoming). This allows the audience to project themselves onto him, which is a common technique in storytelling, especially videogames.

I can't project myself onto someone who doesn't talk, has no personalty, and drools on himself. If he's an audience stand-in, let us customize him. If he isn't, then they should stop using it as an excuse and characterize him.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I just want a little more structure like in the previous games, doesn't have to be the typical zelda forumla, just don't want it to be open ended again
though I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen

I just want a little more structure like in the previous games, doesn't have to be the typical zelda forumla, just don't want it to be open ended again
though I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen

I suspect open world will be the way to go for a while now. Dark Souls managed to give the illusion of open world design by making the game semi-open (virtually identical to Alttp’s structure) but in narrow spaces. Compare this with botw’s open world in open spaces. Not saying zelda games from now should necessarily be in narrow spaces, but that there are ways to create the illusion of openness while maintains structure and a forward narrative drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom