• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

China limiting videogaming hours for kids. Do you really care?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Small correction: China is only limiting the weekly playtime to 3 hours for online games. Anyone below the age of 18 is subject to this "law", and it shouldn't affect offline, single-player games that much, unless the government is also restricting how those are dispensed.

However, the overarching theme here is that the Chinese officials view video games as a distraction and are limiting the playtime for the youths over there for fear of them not making valuable contributions long-term. The societal implications are far too broad for anyone to determine how this will turn out, though. It's a pretty dismal departure from most other countries who like to enjoy hobbies without being penalized with a time limit.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I believe the limit is 1 hour of gaming on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays as well as holidays. That is a little crazy. Yes, some kids are addicted to videogames. I know League of Legends is gigantic in China, and there are even a ton of gaming cafes there for it, for example. But the government shouldn't be regulating kids' time. It's the responsibility of their parents to make sure they have a balanced daily schedule. Gaming is fine, but kids also need time to exercise, study, and go out with friends and family.

Chinese kids are still playing videogames whether its online or regular offline single player stuff. Fact is that China is still enforcing limited hours of videogaming.

That and you people just dont seem to get it that its the school year also. Do you just not understand at all?

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Yeah based on my understanding of chinas government that isn't going to last long
The esports scene is way too big and china can't find kids to enslave and play video games if they only play 3 hours of league of legends each week

Ninja

Well well well
since its the school year
well its the school year i hope you realize that.
since its the school year time for kids anyway
you people just dont seem to get it that its the school year

Please elaborate on what we are not understanding about it being the school year?

You can be a fabulous and dedicated student and still enjoy playing video games for 1+ hours a day. The two are not mutually exclusive. How is spending time watching any movie different? Of course there should be balance between exercise and social activities, but I don’t think the government should have a say, that’s the parents job. As @ExLight said imposing this on an already strict education system would have detrimental consequences, especially to children that doesn’t have other outlets to cope in potentially abusive households.

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
@urrutiap

Your points are stupid and worthless. They make no sense at all. And why did you make a thread on it if you don't care? And why the hell would I stop playing a video game to watch a movie?? AND NOT ALL AMERICANS KNOW HOW TO PUT DOWN THE CONTROLLER!!! You're being very racist, and acting like all Chinese people are this way, all Americans are that way, and who knows what else?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
One friendly reminder: please keep it cool and refrain from namecalling and disrespecting each other's opinion. This is a tough subject and it's very easy for things to get out of hand. So choose your words wisely before writing them down ;)
And one word of advice, when you state facts, make sure you can back it up with something trustworthy.
Again...KEEP IT COOL AND CLEAN ;)

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
All right. I guess I'll just let you be racist uninterrupted.
The only borderline racist thing he said was this:
At least here in the USA we know when its time to put the controller down and do something else like watch a moie or something.
Other than that, I feel like he's saying it's a good move just not a good government move, which I don't disagree. Kids should be monitered and have reasonable limits for video game times, but that's not the government's job to be parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom