• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Chevywolf's short stories

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I have too many big writing projects to be making short stories like this, but whatever.

I don't have a name for this one, just something I wanted to write. It's inspired by one that Echolight wrote recently. The names of the wolves are from the book I'm reading, Wolves at our Door by Jim and Jamie Dutcher. I might write a follow-up to this, but we'll see.

The snow crunched under the wolf’s paws as he trotted through it. He found a bare spot under a fir tree and plopped down with a sigh. He lay there for a while with his head resting on his paws, deep in thought with his eyes shut. Eventually, he heard the footfalls of another wolf approaching. He opened his eyes to see his younger brother, the alpha, approaching. Even though he had been born first of the litter, and was the largest, Lakota had never been the most dominant, always preferring to try to negotiate than to assert dominance as most wolves do. He had only been spared the humiliation of being the omega because his sister, Wyakin, was the smallest of the litter, and she would roll over in submission whenever provoked at all.

“What’s bugging you?” asked Kamots, his brother, as he laid down in the snow to be at eye level with Lakota.

Lakota sighed. “I just feel terrible about the way I bit that elk on his ankle and wasn’t able to finish him off. He must have been in so much pain before we killed him.”

Kamots looked at his brother thoughtfully. “I know you get tired of hearing this, but that’s just how it is sometimes. The Creator made us with strong teeth and jaws for cutting open our prey, and powerful legs for running it down.”

“Yes, but I hate to cause any more suffering than I have to,” Lakota said in response. “I almost wish we didn’t have to kill at all,” he said sadly after a pause.

“But that is not the way of things.” Kamots replied sadly. “Without us to keep the elk in check, they would multiply so quickly that there wouldn’t be enough plants. Just as each of us play a part in the pack, the pack plays a part in the world. The prey animals are aware of this. They wish they did not have to fear us, but they know it is for the best. But they do not live in fear of us constantly as you live in regret of killing them.”

There was a long silence as Lakota processed this. He finally replied “But.... could they refrain from breeding? Make sure they don’t overrun the earth?”

Kamots gave a grim chuckle. “The Creator made us all with a specific purpose. We must do what we are created to do. The only creatures that have a choice are the humans, and you see what sort of a state they’re in.” After delivering this, Kamots stood up as if he had realized something important. He looked down at Lakota with his ears forward and baring his teeth. “I don’t want to hear any of my pack sounding like a human,” he said with a fierce growl. “Understood?”

“Yes of-of course,” whined Lakota, trying to flip over onto his back, which was difficult because he was under a fir tree. He managed to do it, but his paws were entangled in the lower branches.

“Good,” said Kamots as he sat on his haunches. “Now I don’t expect your mind to be changed about this right now, but I hope you’ll be thinking on it. And I don’t expect you to stop feeling pity for the prey. In fact, your pity can inspire you to be all the more ferocious.”

Lakota stared at Kamots, dumbfounded. “It…. what?”

Kamots chuckled “Think about it. If you wish to cause as little suffering as possible, you will be all the more motivated to make more effective moves on our prey. I have said enough. Think these things over, but I do not expect you to have an instant change of heart. That is not to be expected of anyone.” He stood up and walked off, leaving Lakota in thought.

Last edited:

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I have too many big writing projects to be making short stories like this, but whatever.

I don't have a name for this one, just something I wanted to write. It's inspired by one that Echolight wrote recently. The names of the wolves are from the book I'm reading, Wolves at our Door by Jim and Jamie Dutcher. I might write a follow-up to this, but we'll see.

The snow crunched under the wolf’s paws as he trotted through it. He found a bare spot under a fir tree and plopped down with a sigh. He lay there for a while with his head resting on his paws, deep in thought with his eyes shut. Eventually, he heard the footfalls of another wolf approaching. He opened his eyes to see his younger brother, the alpha, approaching. Even though he had been born first of the litter, and was the largest, Lakota had never been the most dominant, always preferring to try to negotiate than to assert dominance as most wolves do. He had only been spared the humiliation of being the omega because his sister, Wyakin, was the smallest of the litter, and she would roll over in submission whenever provoked at all.

“What’s bugging you?” asked Kamots, his brother, as he laid down in the snow to be at eye level with Lakota.

Lakota sighed. “I just feel terrible about the way I bit that elk on his ankle and wasn’t able to finish him off. He must have been in so much pain before we killed him.”

Kamots looked at his brother thoughtfully. “I know you get tired of hearing this, but that’s just how it is sometimes. The Creator made us with strong teeth and jaws for cutting open our prey, and powerful legs for running it down.”

“Yes, but I hate to cause any more suffering than I have to,” Lakota said in response. “I almost wish we didn’t have to kill at all,” he said sadly after a pause.

“But that is not the way of things.” Kamots replied sadly. “Without us to keep the elk in check, they would multiply so quickly that there wouldn’t be enough plants. Just as each of us play a part in the pack, the pack plays a part in the world. The prey animals are aware of this. They wish they did not have to fear us, but they know it is for the best. But they do not live in fear of us constantly as you live in regret of killing them.”

There was a long silence as Lakota processed this. He finally replied “But.... could they refrain from breeding? Make sure they don’t overrun the earth?”

Kamots gave a grim chuckle. “The Creator made us all with a specific purpose. We must do what we are created to do. The only creatures that have a choice are the humans, and you see what sort of a state they’re in.” After delivering this, Kamots stood up as if he had realized something important. He looked down at Lakota with his ears forward and baring his teeth. “I don’t want to hear any of my pack sounding like a human,” he said with a fierce growl. “Understood?”

“Yes of-of course,” whined Lakota, trying to flip over onto his back, which was difficult because he was under a fir tree. He managed to do it, but his paws were entangled in the lower branches.

“Good,” said Kamots as he sat on his haunches. “Now I don’t expect your mind to be changed about this right now, but I hope you’ll be thinking on it. And I don’t expect you to stop feeling pity for the prey. In fact, your pity can inspire you to be all the more ferocious.”

Lakota stared at Kamots, dumbfounded. “It…. what?”

Kamots chuckled “Think about it. If you wish to cause as little suffering as possible, you will be all the more motivated to make more effective moves on our prey. I have said enough. Think these things over, but I do not expect you to have an instant change of heart. That is not to be expected of anyone.” He stood up and walked off, leaving Lakota in thought.

Nice writing! You're getting better and better at it! <3

To be honest, this story kinda feels like a lecture-like response to mine. It seems like you read mine, and then disagreed with the philosophy of Shadow, and then wrote this. It feels like Kamots is actually lecturing me instead.

I'm sure that wasn't your intention and you were just showing different characters perspectives...right?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Nice writing! You're getting better and better at it! <3

To be honest, this story kinda feels like a lecture-like response to mine. It seems like you read mine, and then disagreed with the philosophy of Shadow, and then wrote this. It feels like Kamots is actually lecturing me instead.

I'm sure that wasn't your intention and you were just showing different characters perspectives...right?
I mean, it was a response to yours, but I wasn't trying to lecture you or anything. Just wanted to show another side of wolves.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
It feels like Kamots is actually lecturing me instead.
I'm actually gonna take this as a compliment to my writing skill.

I'm kinda self-inserting with Lakota, just kinda putting what's on my mind onto his mind as well.

As Kamots walked back to the pack, Wyakin jumped in front of him from behind a bush and went into a play bow.

“Hey, Kamots, can you catch me? Huh? Huh?” she asked. She took a fake lunge at Kamots before jumping back into her bow. Kamots also bowed, and with a fake growl lunged at Wyakin before bolting. Wyakin let out an excited laugh and began to chase after him. Kamots intentionally let Wyakin tackle him, then rolled over and sprang to his feet. He knelt down on his front paws then bolted after Wyakin, who ran away laughing.

Their frolicking had wandered near the tree where Lakota was, still thinking over his talk with Kamots. He heard their racket and looked up. He saw Kamots running after Wyakin and decided to turn the tables against the alpha. He stood up and snuck around into a nearby bush. When Wyakin darted past it, he jumped out behind her to block Kamots. Kamots wasn’t able to slow down in time, and he collided into Lakota’s shoulder. They both sprawled onto the ground with loud grunts, and Wyakin skidded to a stop and turned around to see what had happened.

Kamots was the first onto his feet, and he walked over to Lakota, growling.

“What was that all about? That was not a good idea,” berated the alpha.

Lakota whimpered. “I’m sorry, I thought it wouldn’t end that badly.” He tried to stand up, but his right shoulder, the one Kamots had hit, was sore. He whined and fell back down.

Kamots’ frustration immediately turned to concern. “Are you OK?” he asked, sniffing Lakota’s shoulder.

“Yeah, I think so,” Lakota replied, testing it again. “Just a hard impact.” Kamots gave a satisfied chuckle. “I guess you’ll be more careful next time, eh?” Lakota nodded. “Question is, will you?” he said slyly, and jumped onto Kamots, tackling him. Kamots laughed, and the brothers began to wrestle in the snow.

Later that evening, all the pack was gathered back together. Kamots began to howl, a long, soulful note. The rest of the pack joined in one by one. Lakota looked around at all his family, so full of love he thought he would burst.

This is what matters, he thought. Family comes first.

After the rally had ended, the pack laid down to go to sleep. Lakota placed his head on his paws and closed his eyes, happy and content.

I really don't like how abruptly this ends. Really wanted to highlight his contentment with his family and I feel like it's a little short. Also wanted to make the playing section longer, but I had a short window of time and some inspiration, so this is a (very) quick one. Overall pleased with it.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Shoutbox conversation that happened a couple months back that I've meant to write as a story:

@Killjoy262 walked into the ZD living room and passed out on the couch. Chevywolf had been sleeping on the floor and when he saw Killjoy pass out, he sprang to his feet, put his front paws on Killjoy's chest and began giving CPR.

"Quick, call 911!" he called to @twilitfalchion, who was sitting at a table working at his computer, after giving CPR for a few minutes. "Killjoy's not ok!" Falch pulled out his phone and dialed. Chevy paused his CPR and stared at Killjoy's face.

Gross, he thought. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

He lowered his head down, intending to stick his muzzle in Killjoy's mouth to give mouth to mouth respiration. At that moment, Killjoy's eyes flew open.

"I didn't actually pass out!" shouted Killjoy, as he pushed Chevy down onto the floor. "I was just trying to take a nap!"

"Better cancel that call, Falch," Chevy said timidly as he tucked his tail between his legs. "False alarm."

Gorozoron

wild ride
Shoutbox conversation that happened a couple months back that I've meant to write as a story:

@Killjoy262 walked into the ZD living room and passed out on the couch. Chevywolf had been sleeping on the floor and when he saw Killjoy pass out, he sprang to his feet, put his front paws on Killjoy's chest and began giving CPR.

"Quick, call 911!" he called to @twilitfalchion, who was sitting at a table working at his computer, after giving CPR for a few minutes. "Killjoy's not ok!" Falch pulled out his phone and dialed. Chevy paused his CPR and stared at Killjoy's face.

Gross, he thought. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

He lowered his head down, intending to stick his muzzle in Killjoy's mouth to give mouth to mouth respiration. At that moment, Killjoy's eyes flew open.

"I didn't actually pass out!" shouted Killjoy, as he pushed Chevy down onto the floor. "I was just trying to take a nap!"

"Better cancel that call, Falch," Chevy said timidly as he tucked his tail between his legs. "False alarm."
A orange feline with the smell of Italian cuisine, flies across the room and hits Killjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom