• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Checkpoints or death zone?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
If you die in a game, sometimes they have you start at acheckpoint, but in some rare instances with penalties, theu start you from where you were, which do you prefer??

Last edited:

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
In a weird way, having more spread-out checkpoints kinda feels like the game has more stakes. But it all depends on the game, but I kinda like the 'threat' of losing a lot of progress in an old-school Final Fantasy game in between save points.

But that would just be annoying in BotW, where there's very generous autosaving.

Depends what kind of game it is.

Velocity 2X restarts you exactly where you failed but it means you won't get a perfect run and you'll lose time, so there are penalties which mean you'll have to just redo the level again if you're score chasing.

Mostly I prefer starting where you failed because checkpoints can push you back to the beginning of a really **** section.
The same goes for boss rushes and gauntlets, it sucks so much to get punched all the way back to the beginning of a time consuming section.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Mostly I prefer starting where you failed because checkpoints can push you back to the beginning of a really **** section.
The same goes for boss rushes and gauntlets, it sucks so much to get punched all the way back to the beginning of a time consuming section.
This exactly. I think Celeste was really good about this, at least in the main story. Having to redo something I struggle with multiple times is a very easy way to kill my motivation. If I get put back where I died, I can keep toughing it out, even if I keep dying. But if I have to keep going back to a checkpoint, and then go all the way back, just to die again and start the process all over, I am gonna burn out.

Checkpoints are fine, even if they're spaced out. Like in Zelda games, if you die in a dungeon, you're put back at the start of the dungeon and that's not too terrible (it sounds horrible in theory when you spent so long being afraid of wallmasters though). Depending on how far you are in the dungeon where the idea of it may be more devastating because that's more ground to cover, chances are you have access to an item or a door or a shortcut that allows for quicker backtracking to the entrance which may make a death less upsetting.

I guess the rule of thumb for checkpoints is how much of a chore it is to get back to where you were. And if it is a bit of a trip back then that should be reserved for late game where you probably shouldn't be dying as much or the challenging aspect of it should be increasing with your equipment. So in Zelda, would be longer dungeons and whatnot.

I can't think of a game where I'm put immediately back to where I died but I'm not sure its necessary in most games that I've played. If you respawn too close to something that killed you, it could kill you again before you even get your bearings. Respawning far enough away gives you a choice on whether you want to confront the thing that killed you again or do something else instead.

Honestly I feel the majority of people won't care which one the game has as long as it doesn't remove progress.
For example, playin a SHMUP and you die. Respawning exactly where you die is nice but doesn't help when you lose all your weapon upgrades. It turns an easy stage into something really hard or in some cases near impossible to finish.

What people want is being able to retry a section they failed at with the same stuff they previously had. So they can practice and "git gud" so to speak. Not lose everything and have to struggle at a part they are not so good at with all the powerups. WIthout them? Forget about it. It really turns people off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom