• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Characters More Important Than Games?

serotonin_wraith

The Most Banned Member
We love the Zelda series, don't we? Of course, you may think, what a silly thing to ask. But here's an alternative hypothesis which could get you to question that.
It seems to me we could love the main characters more than the games themselves.

I bought Soul Calibur for one reason only - Link. If that character hadn't been involved, perhaps you would have left it on the shop shelf too. There's plenty of other fighting games to choose from. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of fighting games in the first place. I prefer platform, action/adventure games. But for the graphical make up of one Link character, I went against my usual instincts and spent the money to get it.

A similar thing could have happened with Wind Waker. Once the first pics came out, many Zelda fans were outraged - so much had changed. Now, it's seen as a worthy Zelda game, and the similar looking Phantom Hourglass came along without controversy. Why? It had the same main characters, so we gave it a chance. We took it in, gave it a home and tried to brush over the reservations we had about it in the first place. But if it had been called something else, if the main characters were different, I can't how it could have got the fame it did. We were biased.

The Link characters are even able to look extremely different to each other over the years (it's certainly not always a smooth transition in terms of looks) - different outfits, hair, ways of moving, vocals. But as long as the collection of pixels is called Link, we're hooked.

The games are certainly good, but compare one like TP to Four Swords - completely different styles, gameplay, graphics, music and more. They could be seen as different franchises almost. The thing that connects them, more than anything else, is the characters, and I think it's this we cling to more than the actual games.

SSBM, Link's Crossbow Training, Freshly-Picked: Tingle’s Rosy Rupeeland - the last two aren't exactly popular, but imagine how little attention they'd have got if the characters had been different, but the game had been practically identical.

Hmmm...

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
HMM you do have a point i woundnt have bought soulcalibur if link wasnt in it.And also one of my favorite things to do is customize my charecters.If the charecters are weird i probobly wont by the game.

I don't completely agree with you: I, as a zelda fan, have a certain respect for the series, but if a game that was exactly like MC was released, just with different characters (also if MC was never released as a zelda game) if I gave it a try I'm sure I would enjoy it. But since the characters are as they are, it assures me that I'll probably enjoy it. I didn't buy SSBM just cause it had zelda characters in it, nor would I buy SC because it has Link in it.

linkman8

True and Noble
You do have a point there SW. I too bought SCII essentially because Link was involved. I bought virtually every game in which Link was involved, purely because Link is from the Zelda franchise.
However: I would even buy the game if it involved playing as Zelda or another character from Zelda, not just exclusively Link. (NOTE: I will not play the CD-I games, for obvious reasons)
The way I look at it is, the characters don't always make up the game, but they're always an important aspect.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
I'd say our love of Link and Zelda and Ganondorf is greater than our love of the plot or style of the game, but without the game they mean nothing.

If you rephrased to "Characters More Important Than Plot?" I'd completely agree with you, but even with that the plot and the game are what develop the characters, they go hand in hand.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
For me Link is the only important character. He is the reason I buy zelda games. But it s not enough, because it is the stylus of the zelda games that is the most important aspect of why I love the zelda series so much. You may call me a traditionalist but I wont buy links crossbow or four swords, the main idea behind these games seems to different! hope I make some sense although my language skills are not superb.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I don't buy games ONLY because link is in it. I buy the zelda games because I like the action-adventure genre. I admit I bought Link's crossbow training, but that was also because i liked the zapper thing.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I see where you're coming from, but I don't completely agree with you. There are Zelda games that I hate, and there are others that I like. Then there are others which don't appeal to me, so I really wont' bother trying them. However, take one that I love, and change the characters, while it would take a lot longer for me to hear about/play the game, if I did, I'd still like it.
I play the games because they're fun and not for the characters, though if I love both, then that's a huge plus.

serotonin_wraith

The Most Banned Member
change the characters, while it would take a lot longer for me to hear about/play the game, if I did, I'd still like it

This is the key thing. Even if the Zelda game we get isn't to our taste, we've STILL gone and bought it, just to make sure. Nintendo still makes a profit.

Even if a particular Zelda game isn't good, it still gets instant front page status, where another similar game might slip by.

There's lots of action/adventure games, but something gets us to try the Zelda ones before the rest (I'm assuming just cos this is a Zelda site) not because it says 'action/adventure' on the back of the case, but because it says Zelda on the front.

I've done it backwards too, played the older games with Zelda in the title, when I actually started with OOT.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Ah, okay. I see what you're saying, and I actually agree.
Maybe it's just me saying I'd still get it, but since it's Zelda, it's just going to get more attention. My previous post seems to be more my imagination than what probably would happen then.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
Ah, okay. I see what you're saying, and I actually agree.
Maybe it's just me saying I'd still get it, but since it's Zelda, it's just going to get more attention. My previous post seems to be more my imagination than what probably would happen then.

I think we'd all agree that our reasons why we like Zelda games are all different, but that we all would get them simply because we trust the title.

However, removing a character would most definitely spark controversy. Taking Link out of a game, for instance, would confuse many long-time fans. That might not stop them from playing the game, but it may lead to apprehension as well as a feeling of being let-down.

Heh @ Inflexus. Take Link out.

I do find myself sometimes looking more along the lines of what characters are in the game instead what the game actually is, like Brawl for instance. I myself didn't really by that looking at the storyline, or what Wi-Fi can do, I bought it for the characters that were in the game.

I don't really do it with Zelda, I'll myself will by any Zelda game that's reasonable (The CD-I's for instance, are not).

Last edited:

Leix

Error
Zelda is made up of several elements.
The puzzles, the battles, the trading quests, the cool gear.
But one major element is the characters, because it's what Zelda fans are the most familiar with. I for one did NOT by crossbow training or SCII. I do use Link in Smash Bros though.

Idk. I probably WOULDN'T play the game if the main character wasn't wearing a cap and a tunic and holding a sword, but as long as the cast dosen't change too much it'll be ok.
If you take ANY of the elements out of Zelda, it's just not Zelda anymore.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
I think its a combination of both, really. On one hand, Zelda is known for its top of the line gameplay and structure. On the other hand, we have come to love the characters. At this point, they are pretty much inseparable. When you see the Zelda characters, its almost a given that the game is going to be fantastic.

I have to say though, I would have purchased Soul Calibur 2 if Link wasn't on it. Its a good game without Link, though they did a good job with his character.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
I don't love the LoZ series because only of Link. I buy them because the series is consistently fantastic.

I didn't buy Soulcalibur 2 because of Link, SC on the Dreamcast was a fantastic fighter, and getting a sequel was great. Link was just icing on a delicious cake.

Though if I got a chance to buy the CD-i games at a cheap price I would and then maybe have a ritual burning of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom