• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Characters More Important Than Games?

O

OCDays

Link does have a kind of appeal, and the storyline in general does: it's a classic tale of good vs evil, where so many other movies and games try to blur the line between the two, it's refreshing to see something so simple and clear cut. It gives us some hope, some sort of confidence that good will eventually triumph over evil, at least in a game, even if the main character does look like peter pan.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Characters are important cause we affectionate to them(specially Link and Zelda, even though i personally like Ganon/dorf)...
The only reasons i bought Super Smash Bros.Melee(i'm looking for the n64 one) was because it had Samus and Link,Zelda/Sheik and Ganon...
It's the same reason that makes me being in search of Tingle's rosy rupeeland, soul calibur II and etc...
People who really get affectionated(i don't if this exists,but still..) for a certain character, tend to get as much stuff of that character as they can(i write with experience on my shoulders...i'm a huuuge zelda and metroid fanboy)

Chris

It has been awhile...
The characters are fun because we use them in the game. But I feel I like the game itslef more than the actual characters. To explain, it pretty much means that I would play the game no matter what character I used.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
The characters are fun because we use them in the game.QUOTE]

This statement is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo wrong i can't describe it...
There are fans of NPC Zelda characters, like Kafei, Zelda, Ganon, etc...
What We were discussing is that for example, if you like a certain character from a game(wether it is or not a playable character) would you buy a certain game just because of that(Like Link in Soul Calibur II).
It's more in the ways of consumism,ya know?

If there is one thing I remember in particular about any Zelda game, it has to be the characters. They make the game what it is. I thought Anju and Kafei really made Majora's Mask feel a lot more emotional and meaningful.

I think its a combination of both, really. On one hand, Zelda is known for its top of the line gameplay and structure. On the other hand, we have come to love the characters. At this point, they are pretty much inseparable. When you see the Zelda characters, its almost a given that the game is going to be fantastic.

I must agree with that, though. Zelda does indeed have very unique gameplay, not just in the way it's played, but in the combination of weapons, and the assortment of ways the player can go about killing an enemy or whatnot.

However, if Zelda didn't have such unique characters, and consequently dialogue, then I doubt I would of ever taken it up like I have. Sure, if a game has less-than-decent gameplay, then it can be less enjoyable. But if a game with so-so gameplay have great characters, then I would likely still play, and probably like the game.

I also think that there is a certain point where you can't really define between the abstraction of character and gameplay tie-ins. A game can be good, but then the characters make it better, but then if the characters had been in another game, they wouldn't have made that game better.
So, I think it goes both ways, that they have to "go with each other".

bigflyingpotato

Watch out!
I do see what you mean, though they're not more imporant than the game itself. If it were all about characters and plot we'd just be watching a movie or reading a book.
In brawl, my best character is Toon Link, and I crazily wanted to unlock him, it's no coincidence that he's from my favorite game. If Nintendo tried to sell us a canonical Legend of Zelda game where you're playing as anybody other than Link, I might not buy it. I'm for changes in upcoming games, but some things shouldn't change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom