• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Changes to the New 3DS

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
This link here discusses some of the changes coming to New 3DS. For those of you who don't want to read the article, I will summarize below the main parts:

The Good
  1. 3D is finally usable. You still might not have any interest in using it, but now that you don’t have to lock your skull in place in order to maintain the illusion, it’s totally feasible to play your favorite games in 3D.
  2. The C-stick is surprisingly useful. After playing through the entirety of Majora’s Mask 3D over the weekend, I can assure you that it’s a valuable addition. It just takes some getting used to.
  3. Everything moves faster. With a huge bump in processing power, the New 3DS flies in comparison to older models. Besides comfort, this was my other major complaint about the original 3DS, but it’s been solved in the New 3DS.
  4. Amiibo support. Ok, depending on how capable you are of controlling your impulses to buy collectible figurines, this might be in the wrong column, but it’s a great addition for future compatibility between the Wii U and 3DS.

The Bad
  1. The New 3DS doesn’t come with a charger. If you buy a New 3DS and don’t already have a 3DS charger, you’re going to have to buy one separately.
  2. You need a screwdriver to replace the SD card. You have to physically remove the bottom panel of the New 3DS to get at the external storage.
  3. You can’t use your old SD card. I had to go buy a microSD card and a standard SD card converter in order to transfer my data from one 3DS to the other.
  4. The wireless switch has vanished. If you want to preserve battery and turn off the WiFi connection, you’ll have to do so through the console’s settings menu.

Honestly those are some disappointing changes there I can't really justify. Anyways, what do you think?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I've had a New 3DS XL since December, and personally I'm not fussed by what they listed as bad, at least not to the degree they emphasise them. It doesn't matter that it that doesn't come with a charger if you're upgrading from the regular 3DS and have chosen to keep it, because they're compatible. If you've traded your old one, want a second charger or it's simply your first time getting a 3DS system, buy your own charger, they're readily available.

If you don't have too much digital content (so the 4gb microSD card it comes with is enough space) and choose to transfer over wi-fi, there's no need ever access the back of the console or buy converter accessories or whatever. Even if you choose to replace the microSD card it comes with, you won't be accessing it often at all. They also fail to mention that the New 3DS can connect to a PC wirelessly, so there's zero need for a screwdriver unless you're replacing something in there.

I did think it was a shame to see the wi-fi switch go, but again, I hardly use it so it doesn't matter to me that it's more inconvenient to use that feature now. The battery life of the New 3DS is also stronger than the systems before it, which they didn't bring up. I'm very impressed with the New 3DS XL and happy to have one.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I've had a New 3DS XL since December, and personally I'm not fussed by what they listed as bad, at least not to the degree they emphasise them. It doesn't matter that it that doesn't come with a charger if you're upgrading from the regular 3DS and have chosen to keep it, because they're compatible. If you've traded your old one, want a second charger or it's simply your first time getting a 3DS system, buy your own charger, they're readily available.

If you don't have too much digital content (so the 4gb microSD card it comes with is enough space) and choose to transfer over wi-fi, there's no need ever access the back of the console or buy converter accessories or whatever. Even if you choose to replace the microSD card it comes with, you won't be accessing it often at all. They also fail to mention that the New 3DS can connect to a PC wirelessly, so there's zero need for a screwdriver unless you're replacing something in there.

I did think it was a shame to see the wi-fi switch go, but again, I hardly use it so it doesn't matter to me that it's more inconvenient to use that feature now. The battery life of the New 3DS is also stronger than the systems before it, which they didn't bring up. I'm very impressed with the New 3DS XL and happy to have one.

Thanks for this. I didn't know it was released in some places already, I haven't been paying all that much attention. All the points you list here are great and make it seem like the points I list under bad aren't even that bad.

キラ

Yo!
The "bad" things about it are the most minor things I can live without. I doubt I'll have to ever bring out a screwdriver unless I want to get a bigger SD card. I bought a new AC adapter off of eBay for $3.99. So, when I trade in my old one, I can give them an AC adapter and still keep one. Also, why would I want to use my old card when I can just transfer the data from it to the new card? Also, I never turned off the Wi-Fi switch anyway.

The New 3DS is going to have face tracking 3D; I'll be able to play Smash just fine with the 3D on because I can actually rotate my 3DS a bit and still keep the 3D effect. I can't keep my 3DS still while playing that game! There will be a C-Stick so I can look around easily in Majora's Mask, so I can do smash attacks quickly in Smash, and so I can play games like Resident Evil Revelations without the need for the Circle Pad Pro adapter. The New 3DS has the extra two shoulder buttons like the Circle Pad Pro has too. So many new games are going to utilize the C-Stick and extra shoulder buttons! The New 3DS has built in amiibo support, so I can play with my Smash amiibo anywhere! Also - faster loading times and faster downloads! And a bunch of other small additions. What's not to love?! :)

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Good for people who haven't purchased 3DS yet.

I already have an XL and the features aren't essential enough to pay another $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom