• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Chances That SS Will Be Ranked #1 of All Time?

Chances SS will be the #1 ranked game of all time?

• 0% - There is no chance that SS will be #1...ain't no way, ain't now how

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-10% - It's possible, but highly, highly unlikely

• 10-25% - There's a chance, but I would bet against it

• 25-40% - If they pull everything off perfectly, it stands a good chance. It could really happen

• 40-60% - It's about 50-50...it looks like it could challenge for the crown, could go either way

• 60-75% - There is a solid chance. It's probable; more likely than not

• 75-90% - SS should be the highest ranked game of all time. I am expecting it will be

• 90-99% - It's looking like a shoe-in. I would be shocked if this did not take the #1 spot

• 100% - Are you kidding me? This is clearly going to be the most epic, awesome, glorious game ever!

• Total voters
Of all time? Highly unlikely. Just looking at it amongst the rest of the Zelda games, its not ever likely to top Ocarina of Time. And I'm not one of those people that just think OoT is the best Zelda game because I don't. But logically, you have to think about the times. OoT was released as the first 3D Zelda, and while that might not mean much anymore, it meant a lot back then. The N64 was a pretty big system. It had a lot of 3rd party support back then and a lot of people had a 64 that they regularly played. This is why everyone, not just Zelda fans, that owned an N64 played Ocarina of Time. It was a great game and it came at the perfect time when its system was widely used amongst gamers. Not only that, but OoT was the first of its kind, which meant that the entire style of gameplay was new. And the fact that this new gameplay was really good made OoT such a big hit.

Now days, you have the Wii, which has sold well, but I guarantee that at least half of the people who own Wii's never play it anymore. I love my Wii, but I never play it. There simply isn't enough really good games out there on the Wii that hasn't already come and gone. Basically, everyone wanted one, they got it, and now they wait for something good to come out on it. While with the 64, people never put the controller down. Its a lot harder to pick up a game on a system you never play than it is to buy one for a system you play all the time.

Since OoT, we have had Wind Waker on the Gamecube, Twilight Princess on the GC and Wii, and now we have the Wii exclusive Skyward Sword. Even though WW and TP threw in some changes here and there, they didn't sell anywhere near as well as OoT. It started out as "I don't want to play WW because it looks like a kids game" that turned most gamers away. Then TP tried to do "realistic" graphics with a game that was basically an upgraded OoT, and it still didn't sell as good, even with added motion controls on the Wii.

Its all because the newness of OoT has long worn off and the fact that 3D gaming is the norm now. Skyward Sword, though it is incorporating Wii Motion Plus and relying on the motion controls more, still comes off as just another 3D Zelda trying to alter the OoT formula a little bit here and there and I don't think its going to be enough. Many people these days don't like the Wii's controls at all, so that group will certainly look over the game, while that same group probably bought OoT back in the day because 3D gaming was such a big thing. I think SS will sell well on the Wii, but I'll go on record saying that I highly doubt it will sell as the best game ever.

Steve

5/19/13
As much as I believe Skyward Sword will be a great game, and I probably will enjoy it more than Ocarina of Time, I have to agree with Mosley. If we're going to have another Zelda, or any game for that matter, top Ocarina of Time, it's going to have to be completely revolutionary for its time. That means we're going to have to move past the style of gaming we've seen in the console games since Ocarina of Time, and move to something different, entirely. Just judging by all the pre-release hate for this game, similar to that of The Wind Waker, I can already tell that it's not going to be up there.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I think SS has a 33% chance of becoming #1. Games seem to be considered "greatest of all time" if they are strongly influential. This is likely why OoT is considered the "greatest Zelda game" because it set the bar for all the 3D Zeldas coming after it (and it was a novelty when it came out). I do believe SS will be influential in terms of the control scheme, I'm just wondering if SS's influence will be enough to top OoT's...

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I have to agree with Mosley's post.

You know, it needs to be mind blowing and revolutionizing the become #1 of all time. There are just too many things at this point to compete with. Guaranteed, some game released in the general same timeframe will do one or more things better than Skyward Sword will. Some games will probably introduce some more things than SS can.

I'm sure that there will be some of those opinionated reviews claiming "OH MY GOD BEST ZELDA EVAR!" as that is usually what happens every time a new Zelda game comes out, but in the end I do not think it will even come close in ranking as compared to games like Mario Galaxy/2 or OoT. I'm sure SS will be fantastic, but I don't expect another revolutionizing game to be until the time of the 3DS. Maybe then something can be re-rated at the #1 game of all time, but now now.

I'm pretty much agreed with Mosley as well.

I do think Skyward Sword might pull off enough innovations to exceed M's expectations though. Mainly I think it can present familiar gameplay through a new lens of sorts with the WMP controls and other innovations (hopefully anyway; we haven't heard of any yet). If it can pull this off, I think it has a chance of matching OoT's popularity, at least. Still, even if that is the case it's pretty unlikely because of the Wii itself, as Mosley said.

Possible, but unlikely. It's basically going to have to get more people to like it that OoT, and there's such a narrow chance of that it's funny.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
If it can pull this off, I think it has a chance of matching OoT's popularity, at least. Still, even if that is the case it's pretty unlikely because of the Wii itself, as Mosley said.

Because of the Wii? #2 and #3 of all time are Wii games...

And SMG 2 game out THIS YEAR and it took the top spot for a little while (and is still #3)...so I don't see how you can argue that the Wii is an impediment...

Yes, I am the one that said 100%. So many people say how the reason OoT is the "greatest game ever" is because it was the 1st of its kind. Now think about this, have you ever seen a game that uses controls like that? This game is like a step away from virtual reality people! If this game has as good of a story as say Wind Waker, then it could be the greatest game of all time in its sleep. Disagree with me if you want, but you'll all see.

Rofang

Person
I tend to doubt it'll rank #1 because the game seems to be taking some risks that I don't expect will be able to please everyone. Of course, whether the game pleases me is the important part, as far as I'm concerned... ;)

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
It has a fair chance. Although I agree with what everybody has already stated:
1) Some already hate the graphics --cringe--
2) Some just won't let go of OoT
3) Other reasons that I don't feel like listing because they don't seem as important to me right now and I don't want to talk about them at the moment

I personally LOVE the graphics for SS. They're unique and quite beautiful (although it did take me a day or two to get used to them).
And as for the whole OoT thing....so far, it's my favorite Zelda game, and it wasn't even the first Zelda game that I played. The main reason why I love OoT so much is because it was challenging and it had this whole mystical vibe to it. TP? Pft, easy. Midna pretty much told you what to do in just about everything. Not to mention the "BLAH no color" graphics made it feel like it wasn't Zelda (for me, atleast). However, I liked TP's story much better than OoT's, which was just your average "save the world and get the girl" thing. TP had more of a plot twist to it, which really intruiged me.

If SS has good gameplay (which is pretty much guaranteed, cause of the WM+ and all), a deep story, innovative characters, and is VERY challenging, then I think it'll get pretty close to the top. Will it make it all the way? Eh. But who knows. We could be looking at the greatest Zelda yet and not even realize it. (I'm getting chills just thinking about how AMAZING that would be!)

I just want a difficult game. Then it'll be #1 for me.
Hehe.

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
We can always hope the games is that good (enough for the top spot.) Even if it is, it has to get almost perfect review scores to beat out SMG2 for the top spot.
I think (hope) it will make it close if not all the way. I cannot wait til we start hearing the reviews.

Hannah

Milk was a bad idea.
I dont think it will be #1. OoT was, and still is, the most beloved game of even people who aren't huge zelda fans. The zelda fans, of course, will buy it, but all of the people who have the console may just buy it because all of the rest of the gaming on Wii is CRAP. I have a gamecube and a Wii (I know the Wii has a GC component too.) But when I finished twilight princess for Wii, I turned the thing off and have yet to turn it back on. In fact, It's not even plugged in at the moment. I think that the Wii console was a good idea, but until they actually make some decent games instead of Puppy Babysitting 2 and Lets do Hair! and crap like that, Wii for real gamers just isn't.. available? There's no point for most of us to even own one. To be entirely honest, I think if Skyward Sword was made for a different system (even though I know that isn't possible) then it's chances would increase. But like someone above said, There is a little bit of a chance that since the motion+ is going to be used and it IS the first game of its kind, who knows; (even though some of it for twilight princess just honestly got on my nerves.) maybe people will flock to the stores to get it. We'll just have to wait it out and see.

bigflyingpotato

Watch out!
There were people who took one look at the game and said they hate it, but there were also a lot of people who are very optimistic. This game might be like Ocarina of Time in the way of innovative gameplay mechanics. Ocarina of Time was the first 3d Zelda and many people's first 3d game, and Skyward Sword will likely be many people's (like myself) first time playing with wii motion plus. And if they polish up the graphics, have koji kondo on music and use an impressive plot, then it may very well be a top-ranking game.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
So, three Nintendo games top the list of the all time highest ranked games:

#1 - Ocarina of Time (97.48%)
#2 - Super Mario Galaxy (97.46%)
#3 - Super Mario Galaxy 2 (97.07%)

Will Skyward Sword be the top ranked game of all time when it comes out? What do you think it's chances of being the best game of all time are?

You can't trust this list, because it doesn't contain SNES or earlier games, because their entries weren't made on large scale because the internet wasn't commonplace. Whenever I look at that list, there are so many SNES titles missing that should be overshadowing so many games in that list.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
You can't trust this list, because it doesn't contain SNES or earlier games, because their entries weren't made on large scale because the internet wasn't commonplace. Whenever I look at that list, there are so many SNES titles missing that should be overshadowing so many games in that list.

Understood.

Nonetheless, the question refers to this list...will it be the #1 ranked game of all time?...whether or not this list is a fair evaluation of the best games of all time, this is the list of the best ranked games of all time.

Also, you can make the case for NES and SNES games to be on this list...but even if you still included them, OoT would still probably be the #1 game of all time. Here is a meta-analysis of various gaming publications all time best lists. OoT still comes out as #1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom