• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cell Shading Vs. Realistic Graphics

Cell Shading Vs. Realistic Graphics

• I prefer realistic graphics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer cell shading graphics

• I don't care about graphics

• Total voters

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
As much as I'd like to say that graphics don't matter, they DO.. The graphics are what youre looking at for the entire game and set the tone and mood of the game. This is a difficult question to answer but I guess I prefer the realistic style over cel-shaded. I still love the cel-shaded graphics but realism is my number one choice. The two darker games (MM and TP) are my favorite and darkness is pretty hard to acheive in a cel-shaded game like WW or SS. The cel-shaded WW, PH and ST never really had much of an epic feel, possibly due to the graphics but they fit the premise and setting of the game much more than a realistic style.

For me graphcis are the least important part of a game, however I can understand where your coming from. No a dark and nasty game shouldn't have vivid colorful graphcis, and I agree with you on how games like WW, PH and ST wouldn't feel right with realistic graphics. With Skyward Sword we don't know the full story therefore we don't know weather the graphics will fit the game or not.

It depends on the game. Different games need different graphics. Wind Waker would probably not be as good with realistic graphics. And it would not make sense for Twilight Princess to have cell shading graphics.
Again it all depends on the game. There's no one graphic style that can, and will work for every single video game.

Alex Arbiter

That Random Guy
Well, when it all comes down to the basics it does no matter what the game's art direction is as long as it has everything a Zelda game should have. When did it matter if the game was cel shadded or not its not like its going to kill someone!

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
All in all it doesn't really matter to me the graphics of a game, however when it comes to Zelda I prefer the cel-shaded look over a realistic one, such as with TP. As I've stated before, Zelda is a fantastical world and I find that realistic graphics take away form this aspect, whereas cel-shaded graphics actually enhance it. SS combines these two looks, I actually think it's swell and so far it looks like they've pulled it off very well!

I love both styles. I'd like to continually see graphic styles changing throughout each game, whether or not that means cel shading or not. I disliked TP graphics in parts of the game because of the blurry textures. The dungeons had great textures and nice colors to go with it because of the themes, and it looked great, but the field, and other overworld areas of the game looked colorless and muddy.
I think another MM art style with upped graphics on Wii2 or w/e would look really great. Like it had bright bright colors with a dark undertone and I like that a lot more than the browns in TP. Realistic graphics on a better system would be better. Wii works well with cel shading because cel shading looks great and the style has simple underlay to do properly on a weaker system.
Now OoT and MM graphics were great back in the day but im glad they are redoing it on 3DS. It'll make those graphics up to par. OoT 3DS will look between SS and TP, where SS looks more like between WW and OoT, but with model proportions more between TP and WW. Am I just rambling now?...

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
I like both.
Twilight Princess had some very surreal and dark graphics, and the realism gave the game a more intense tone.
Compare this to Wind Waker, which had cute and quirky graphics that reflected the exciting adventures of a little kid sailing around the world.

As someone mentioned before, TP would look strange with cartoony graphics and WW/PH/ST would look odd with realistic graphics. It really depends on the overall mood of the game.

And having said that, the stylized, cell-shaded realism of Skyward Sword makes me very curious as to what the general concept is going to be about.

David

But you called me here...
I personally like how the cell-shaded graphics seem to match the old Zelda games more. Now I know that graphics were limited back then, but the graphic style of SS seems to me like it matches the series far more than super-duper realistic graphics. But in the long run, I don't really have a preference to the graphics. They both have their ups and downs and I really hope that the final graphics will be really well done and not distract us from the game itself.

I don't care about graphics at all. However if I had to chose I'd go with cel-shaded graphics. I <3 cel-shaded graphics!

The reason I like Cel-shading is because I like colors in my games! :)

I have no preference but if I had to pick I would pick cel-shading.

Compare this to Wind Waker, which had cute and quirky graphics that reflected the exciting adventures of a little kid sailing around the world.
I agree, but Wind Waker had a more epic feel.

Too true. But, you can't really fault it; that's what WW was after all, a cute little story of an 8 year old sailing the high seas and...... not much else.

Graphics greatly contribute to the mood of a game, so we can probably start guessing what the mood of SS will be from the style. I'll expect it to be more on par with WW, because of the super bright colors and exaggerated styles, but not as kiddy and younger age oriented as WW because they're keeping adult Link. I welcome the latter, as Link doesn't really fit as a cute little 8 year old in my mind.

Beeker

Wild Card
I'll admit, I was one of those people who wasn't sure about the cel-shaded graphics but now they have grown to me. I love the realistic style of Twilight Princess, but I can't decide now which is better.

It has been stated before that the art style itself depends on the mood and the feel of the game. That's why it's always changing. If a game is more serious and gritty like TP, it goes for a more realistic approach. If it is a lighter feel like in Wind Waker, there will be more brighter colour and more emotion. But in the end, it doesn't matter too much to me, as long as the graphics are done nicely and don't look horrendous.
The art style for Skyward Sword was picked to help exaggerate certain things in the environment and on the enemies. As for its mood, I'm thinking of something in the way of OoT- a bright sort of game with perhaps some dark elements as well. But that's a topic for another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom