• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

'Casual' and 'Core' - How Do You Define Them?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
They are two terms we, as gamers, hear almost every day. During the last generation, with the rise of mobile gaming, motion control devices, and even your (yes, your) nan training her brain on a DS, the ever growing gaming community has, rather sloppily, been split into two poorly defined groups: 'casual' gamers and 'core' gamers.

Some find these blanket terms helpful when discussing the state of gaming. Others find them almost laughably simplistic and ineffective in addressing the myriad people who play games these days. For whatever reasons, it seems that not everyone fully agrees on just what these terms actually mean.

So how do you differentiate between the two groups? What, in your view, is 'casual' and what is 'core'? Is the divide as big as it is sometimes implied to be, or is there a 'grey area' inbetween the two? And, crucially, does it really matter?

And remember, keep it strong.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
I define a bunch of "core" gamers as 6 year olds who play COD and BF all day. In thoses rare instances, I call older people "core" gamers, the ones who play almost every type of game a lot.

Casual gamers are just those people who pick up the controller every now and then. They either play Nintendo games or something else.

So yeah...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well to be honest I don't really believe in "casual" or "hardcore" games; I think it depends on the gamer themselves. Even the simplest of game can have a hardcore following and have much more depth seen on its surface.

I like to think of a series like Super Smash Bros as my prime example of such. It's a fighting game based around Nintendo's mascots. Basically it's a celebration of all things Nintendo in one fighting game. Now this franchise attracts many casual gamers as it does hardcore and that's the beauty of it and I truly believe that any game, yes any, can have both followings. I find using such terms to describe certain games as quite shallow.

I do use these terms, however, for gamers as it's more applicable. Casual gamers are those who play a certain game... well... causally. A hardcore gamer is someone who is dedicated to that game etc. However, there is no: "you can only be one or the other". I can be a causal gamer as much as a hardcore gamer. I can play games causally as much as I can be committed to a specific set of games and I'm sure that the case for most.

However, I've been avoiding the main question here so I'll answer that. I think using the label and holding a gamer down to one label is, like I said before about games, shallow. I don't want to be labeled as a causal nor a hardcore gamer as I don't feel I fit either.

Well hardcore gamers play said game to the full, Casual players play said game without getting too involved with it. Personally that's just down to how the player prefers to play the game. For example I play Pokémon Hardcore by using EVs, IVs, perfecting natures and abilities, using complex moves etc. whereas I play Tekken Casually because I'm not that good at it.

Different games have their different audiences, one is not simply a casual player and one is a hardcore player by default. When I play a game, I play it the way I can and want. If I'm good at a game and get really involved with it, then I'm a hardcore player of that game. if I am not so good at a game, I stray away from the complexity of the game and play it casually and I become a casual player of that game.

The thing is that Casual and hardcore players are determined by how they play a certain game, the problem is that Gamers are taking that out of context and calling a person a Casual in general because they keep getting defeated by the so-called "hardcore gamers". Nowadays, Gamers call each other casuals or hardcores depending on what kind of games they play, that is completely wrong and in a way, insulting.

A gamer is not determined casual or hardcore by what games they play, they are determined by the way they play games and those gamers are specific to that game, there is no such thing as a general casual player or a general hardcore player.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
The terms don't "stick" with the same person all the time, for example they may play one game casually but play others hardcore.

As justac00lguy said above, I don't believe that games themselves fall into the "casual or hardcore" category. For me, personally, whether or not you're a "hardcore" gamer decides not on the game, but on the person playing them.

I'll start out with my interpretation of a "casual" gamer. The rise of mobile phone games is the first section of the gaming market that I can point towards when I think of "casual" gamers. Angry Birds is a wildly popular game on cell phones, and because it's such a good mobile game, is incredibly simplistic in nature and is made to be played in very short bursts. If you own, say, an iPad, and it's the only "gaming" (I use the term lightly because of the vast utility of cell phones) device that you have, I'm inclined to call you a "casual" gamer. I see this many times, where the only video games people play are little app games like Angry Birds or Candy Crush Saga, and they enjoy them well enough. It's certainly possible to become a "hardcore" gamer with Angry Birds, but I do think it's less likely just because of how the game is structure. Thus, that's what I call a casual gamer - someone who doesn't devote a large amount of time to games, still enjoys them nonetheless, but doesn't breach the barrier of being a gaming enthusiast. Angry Birds isn't the only game where this is possible, either. Call of Duty, Mario, any game series can be played and enjoyed by a casual gamer, and be played casually.

I would call myself a "hardcore" gamer, as loathe as I am to even use the term. I've devoted a very good portion of my free time towards video games, and I've also spent a good amount of money on various games, console, and handhelds over the more than a decade that I've been a fan. I'm especially passionate about the Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Mario series, with countless hours spent on all three franchises. I think that should be what determines if you're beyond "casual" and are now "hardcore"; it's how much passion you display for gaming, and how many of your personal resources that you pour into it. Yes, it's possible to be a hardcore gamer when it comes to Angry Birds if you're really involved and invested into that series of games. It's possible to be hardcore gamer with the Call of Duty type games as well. It's possible with any series, which I think is, sadly, a point that's missed in today's gaming culture.

I absolutely resent the notion that "hardcore" games and gamers are solely those that are rated M and play rated M games, which for some reason seems to be what everyone thinks these days.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I don't really say casual or core anymore, I think it's quite hard to differentiate different things about games into those two categories since they're both on the very extremes of what someone or something can be and I don't think it's a good scale to work with because of that. What a few people have started to say, and what I do too which I hope starts to popularize soon to shut up people crying everything's casual now, is there are 3 different groups; Casual, Softcore, and Hardcore. And suddenly I think it's a lot easier to define exactly who is what and what game is what when you add in that third category, since it actually gives a middle-ground to the discussion. Instead of just being a Yes or No, there's a Maybe now. Instead of full or empty, there's half full/empty, depending on your disposition. ;)

In terms of gamers themselves, I think the terms just concentrate on how involved a person is with the hobby. Not just how much time they put into it, a 'casual' gamer can play more hours on his phone than a hardcore gamer could, but moreso what they do in that time. Are they just matching coloured blocks on Candy Crush or are they playing Planescape Torment? Casual sort of speaks for itself, they're casual about their hobby, they pick up the odd game or two and play on their phone and maybe have a console but they're not very involved in the goings-on of the industry or anything like that. Softcore gamers are the type who buy the new FIFA, Madden, or Call of Duty every year and tend to stick to just the big blockbuster titles. They love the games they play and are usually pretty involved in the games they play but aren't incredibly involved in the industry. Hardcore gamers are the most invested, they're the ones who check news sites everyday and watch E3 live and those sorts of things. They don't need to have a huge game collection or play for 7 hours straight, but, they're usually much more passionate about the industry. It's why they always argue.

To sort of put it in another way, think of those those 3 terms in regards to a sports fan! A hardcore gamer would be the type who buys the Season Pass every year, goes to see every game, can talk at length about the entire line-up of his team and more. Softcore gamers would be the ones who will buy a ticket every so often, whenever there's a Home game and friends are going, and enjoys the sport and knows the team but can live without not seeing them. And casual gamers would be the ones who just catch the scores on the TV or radio and know enough to hold a conversation but thats about it.

As for games, it gets harder. Do we gauge if a game is casual, softcore, or hardcore based on the audience they wanted to attract, or the audience that does get attracted? They sometimes aren't the same, but in many cases they are. And similarly, like gamers, I regard the terms depending on the amount of involvement the player has in the game. A casual game doesn't have to just be a puzzle game, or even an easy game, but typically its very accessible, easy to pick up and easy to play, and tends to give a lot of gratification. Softcore games tend to have more depth than a casual game and take more time to master but are still designed to be accessible to everyone. Nintendo's games I think fall into this category more often than not; their games have a some depth and lots of content but ween you into it and don't go the full hog. A hardcore game can still be designed to be accessible to as many people as possible but typically has more depth than any other type of game, and requires a lot more time and involvement on behalf of the gamer. All types of games can be hard but hardcore games tend to be less forgiving with it, and then it goes down a peg each time. You wouldn't get Dark Souls levels of difficulty in a casual game, but later levels in many do pose quite the challenge.

To put it another way like I did above, I'd say we could compare videogames to boardgames. Hardcore games would be like the boardgame Risk; they've got a lot of depth and require a lot of effort on the player's part, it's not the type of thing that can be picked up instantly and isn't for everybody. Softcore games would be boardgames like Monopoly or Cluedo. Yes they have a lot of stuff going on and a lot of depth but it's all quite easy to understand, there's no huge complications to get in anybody's way playing it, and can be picked up quick after a little read through the rules. And casual games would be something like Frustration. You roll the dice and move that number of spots, and you need to make it all the way around. It's quick, simple, gratifying instantly, and very accessible. It doesn't have much depth but can still pose a challenge against certain people!

That's how I'd try and define them anyway.

It's hard to 100% nail down exactly what a game should be or should do to fit into each category, they typically just have to be looked at by their own merits. Everything is a factor and there's no real statistic stuff to say what's a hardcore game or what's a casual game. As I said in the paragraph above difficulty tends to be something people throw out but have you played some of the last levels on some puzzle games? Bloody difficult, is what they are. And I've played lots of games we'd assume are hardcore games but tend to be easy. It's why deciding what is and isn't hardcore, softcore, or casual requires very much situational standards. Looking at a game's target audience for a start is usually a good indicator or what exactly they are going for.

I think the important thing to note is, I consider all types of gamers equal!

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Non-Gamer: Generally (but not always) family members who will play games, but not commonly. They typically prefer titles like Wii Sports that are easy to pick up and put down.

Casual Gamer: A gamer, but one that simply likes to game for fun and isn't too interested in challenge and is generally not too competitive. They typically (but not always) prefer family friendly titles. Nintendo games are usually ideal for them.

Hardcore Gamer: Gamers who are competitive and seek challenge. They generally flock to more violent games, especially FPS titles. They are usually (but not always) better at casuals when it comes to gaming. Usually their desire for quantity, violence, and challenge causes then to lean towards Sony and Microsoft.

I dunno. They aren't really concepts that I subscribe to. If I had to conjure up definitions, though, then I'd say that casual would be anything which is simple to get started with, and is played more to relax and kill time, without having to think or focus very much. Often times 'casual' games have a social aspect to them as well. Examples which come to mind would be Wii Sports, things like BIT.TRIP RUNNER, and maybe certain FPSs like Call of Duty or Battlefield.

Hardcore games, however, require much more commitment. They often are more challenging experiences and are very well-crafted in level design and story, layered with many themes, much symbolism, etc. Majora's Mask and BioShock are good examples.

The two categories tend not to be sufficient, though, as some games, such as the Super Smash Bros. and Pokemon series, can be purely 'casual' at their surface, but become extremely 'hardcore' with some analysis. And, ultimately, as those before me have beautifully illustrated, it comes down to the gamer, not the game.

Last edited:

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I don't separate "gamers" from hardcore or casual. People just have different interest and opinion when it comes to gaming. A person who likes mobile games is no different from a person who likes Civilization to me. They are just people who like different kinds of games.

I just don't like labeling people.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I differentiate by handing the controller / device to my wife. If she can figure it out, it's casual. If she makes that face and walks away, it's core.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I differentiate by handing the controller / device to my wife. If she can figure it out, it's casual. If she makes that face and walks away, it's core.

I think a piece of me found its way into you. I like you.
-------
I'm a lot like Curm except I replace "my wife" with "my little sister". If things are nice, simple, and maybe even cliché..they are casual. If they have extra nuances that take a bit of practice to truly grasp, they are core. For example, I see The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword as a casual title - it's really simple and easy to complete. However, speedrunning that title is something that is core; speedrunning in general requires a ton of skill, testing, and other practicing to grasp and master.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Casual- people who dabble in wii sports, wii play, and gimmicky kinect games. Rarely know or care about big releases or gaming news. Thankfully some are wise enough to say that they are not real gamers.

Hardcore- Gamers who like any sort of game. It can be RPG, FPS, Fighting, or sports games. They follow gaming news to some extent (at least around Christmas) and desire a new console every once in a while. Hardcore also covers anyone with more dedication to gaming than what I just outlined.

Clank

Hmm
I find the difference to be remarkably simple, a hard-core gamer is someone that is dedicated to game(s) and a causal gamer is simply one that dabbles without any real commitment.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Well, based on the meanings of the words outside of gaming terms, I'd have to say it depends on everything you play/willing to play, and how often you actually play the games.
"Casual" means every so often be mere definition. So, my definition of "Casual Gamer" would be one who is decently experienced with games, but only plays it as an "every now and then" hobby, and doesn't focus on it as a main part of their life.

"Core"? I don't often hear that term, but I think it might be the same as what I DO hear more often, as "Hardcore Gamer"...
And also, by definition of "Hardcore", which is (and I quote: ) "the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement", I would say that a "Hardcore Gamer" is best defined as one who plays games A LOT, and plays quite a variety of games, very often, and is one who makes video games much more a part of their life, and who they are. To them, Games are more than just an entertainment source. They have more meaning to them. They are committed to their passion for games!

Are there gray areas? Absolutely! One person can be "kind-of" hardcore, and others can be extreme hardcore. Casual and hardcore are like a temperature scale in my opinion. It's just a matter of "how much are you?" for either side.

Does it matter? Yes and no. It does matter for sake of defining oneself and explaining to others your gaming habits, but it does not matter in terms of who you are as a person. It's just a way of saying, "hey! I know 'this much' about games, and I play them 'this frequently'" or something of the sort. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom