• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Castlevania

Austin

Austin
Anyone else love this series? I bought the first game on the virtual console over the summer, and it was pretty awesome. The controls were a little frustrating but that's most likely due to the time period, and the music was absolutely amazing. Still haven't been able to beat the damn thing, but I enjoy it nonetheless. I bought Super Castlevania 4 over the weekend, and I've fallen in love with it. It took everything that was good in the first game and made it even better. Like the first one, it's one of the harder games I've played, but not in a way that's frustrating. I highly recommend looking into the series if you haven't already.

Kybyrian

I absolutely love the Castelvania series. I'm sad to say that I haven't played very many of the games, but the ones that I have played I absolutely love. I remember buying Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on Xbox LIVE Arcade, which was really not too long ago, and I loved the game. It is one of the more challenging series out there. I haven't played the new one - Lord of Shadows - yet. I also haven't heard anything about it either. Castlevania just doesn't seem like the 3D sort of game... I wonder how they made the game. I think 2D is a great layout for Castlevania, and gives it that awesome feel that reminds us of the classic days. I should try that game out... see how it is.

I only own the first two, and I find that the second installment, Simon's Quest on the NES, is the best game in the series, making it into my top 25 games I've ever played. The combination of platforming, sidescrolling, adventure, puzzle, and RPG elements are stellar. It's a lot of fun when you collect hearts to buy the Flame Whip, find all the hidden roads and false floors, find the use of all of Dracula's body parts, and explore the immense overworld. The only other game that implements these features (to my knowledge) is Zelda 2, and that game in my opinion is better than Simon's Quest, but I digress.
The AVGN did in fact point out a number of reasonable flaws, such as the useless clues given by townsfolk, stiff controls, and hard to make jumps. However, cryptic things like the crystals aren't downfalls, they're just more reason to explore the game. I actually noticed a pattern; whenever you happen to get a new crystal in a town and go further onwards, in the event that you would hit an unpassable road-block, I've noticed that equipping the new crystal and ducking solves the dilemma.
Also, the music. THE MUSIC. Hearing Bloody Tears for the first time hooked me instantly. Yeah, yeah, I know I said how great the platforming and stuff was great, BUT THE MUSIC. IT IS AWESOME. Seriously, if you thought Megaman 2's Dr. Wily theme or Super Mario RPG's Geno theme would haunt you till the rest of your days, you have yet to experience the wrath of Castlevania 2's soundtrack. Brentalfloss actually wrote some good lyrics for it (despite it's strong language), and I would check it out.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I've heard that Castlevania was one of the better series on the NES. I tried playing it on a few occasions, but I just couldn't get into the dark atmosphere. The gameplay itself looks very interesting, though... a lot like Metroid or Mega Man. I liked the gameplay, but I didn't care for the theme with the vampires and undead all over the place... that kind of thing gives me the creeps.

I think that I would like Castlevania a lot better if I could get past the theme. If someone could do one of those things where they swap out the graphics and change the story around... that would be great.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
Yes, I love several of those blessed Castlevania games. I, II, and IV are all pretty solid. I didn't much like III, and I haven't played any of the other ones. But let it not be said that I dislike Castlevania, good sir! :)

Addendum: I agree 100% with Fred: Castlevania II gets such a bad, undeserved, rap. It is classic, and it's the game that brings in Bloody Tears. Also, I thought (and still think) the exploratory sidescrolling format of that game was cool.

Last edited:

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Yes I loved the Castlevanias, but like the Zelda series I've only played a very few of them (Castlevania I, II, and 64). They're all great though .. the NES versions are some of the more challenging games I've ever played, moreso the first one than the 2nd since there was no password system to let you continue your progress at a later time. Castlevania 2 was lots of fun with it being somewhat of an open ended exploration opposed to its predecessor's level by level system. Great soundtrack too .. in fact I cited Dracula's Castle as one of my top 5 video game songs of all time in that thread which is somewhere in this sub-forum.

Castlevania 64 is right up there with OoT and MM as far as my favorite N64 games ... I love the story & atmosphere, and while the gameplay and camera angles they force on you can get frustrating, once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. The level designs are great, especially the Villa & Castle Center, and the bosses, while seemingly few and far between, are all unique in how you have to fight them.

Castlevania is a Great game. The ones I like to play would be aria of sorrow and the new one for Xbox 360. On aria of sorrow, you are in dracula's castle. You can equip different weapons and actually change your soul. On the new one you are just roaming around outside. You can use combos, a grapple hook, and much more. it is harder than the origanal, and its 3-D!!! Iv'e only beaten one though...

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Yes, I've enjoyed many of the Castlevania games, they rock, imo. I love the ones for the PS2, And I can't wait to buy the new one for the Xbox360. :P

Djinn

and Tonic
I was a huge fan of Castlevania 3 when it came out. It was the first one I ever played. Later on I tried the first two but I did not like them as much. Bloodlines on Genesis was great too but I mostly forgot about the series until Symphony of the Night. That one made me a real fan. Ever since I have loved the Castlevania franchise. The GBA titles were good too, although they were a little short and seriously required a backlight to be capable of seeing anything.

DayDreamer

Wahoo!
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia got me hooked on the series. The music and gameplay and how everything just flows together is so memorable and addicting to play. I never payed much attention to castlevania before i got Castlelvania OoE but i really wish i did,i missed out on so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom