• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Carpenters in OoT and MM -The Same Guys?

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Hello everyone!

Someone mentioned in another thread, and aI was curious to know what you think about:

---Could it be that the carpenters we rescue in OoT are the same ones that we see in MM's Clocktown?---

Guive it a thought: it has been proved that there is a conection of some kind between Hyrule and Termina (three characters that we know did go from one world to the other -Link, Mask Seller and Skull Kid). Is it therefore possible that the Terminan carpenters went to Hyrule to build the Gerudo's Valley Bridge? Maybe to the people of Termina it is no secret that there is a path to another country (or dimention) within Clocktown itself, a city that the carpenters must know perfectly well.

There is the moon problem, as ever; but I've always thought the Termina Moon is rather little (and very close), and not a whole world's satelite, but one big badass rock in the sky over Termina. Being so, it wouldn't give the Hylians not one worry.

Do the carpenters ever mention where thay are from, why do they build that bridge, or who's hiring them?

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
I think they are just the "same" people in a different universe- same as everyone else in MM. I don't see any reason why they would be the same, but other characters wouldn't.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think they, like all the other doppelganger characters, are alternate versions of their OoT selves.
The carpenters in MM actually appear to be doing some work. In OoT they are kind of lazy and take like, seven years to build the new shooting gallery, not to mention run away because they can't be bothered to build a bridge and end up being captured by the Gerudo.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
Actually, quite a few of the facts go against a lot of what you've said in your theory.

You see, there is no reason that the people of Hyrule would ever have to worry about the moon in Termina. That is because, to them, Termina doesn't exist. The fact that the moon exists in a different dimension kind of quells that idea.

Also, I don't think that the carpenters are the same people at all. Mutoh, although sharing the same name, isn't likely the same one. You see, Mutoh's daughter in OoT is the Cucco lady, and his son is the Young Punk Guy, who dies. However, in MM, Anju, who looks the same as the Cucco lady, is not the same person (as Tortus is her father, not Mutoh), and Grog, who looks the same as the Young Punk Guy, is definitely not the same person (as he is clearly not dead).

So, no, I don't see any logical way that the carpenters could be the same people in both games. Like with everybody else, they are just the Terminian counterparts of the carpenters from OoT.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
They are parallel versions. They may look and even act the same to a degree, but they do not exist in the same universe. They are separate from Hyrule's universe and are mere mirror images.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Termina isn't Hyrule's next door neighbour or anything. The beginning of Majora's Mask starts off with Link in the Lost Woods (presumably), and then he falls out of a doorway, down a seemingly long way, into the clock tower. I don't really think falling out of that doorway was just a pitor anything, that was Link entering another dimension. If he fell out of a doorway, that far down, that would mean two things:
1.Termina is an alternate dimension
2.Termina is underground

The former is much more credibal since Termina is definitely not an underground nation. So really, since it is in no way connected to Hyrule, I see no reason in believing that any characters, except the obvious ones, are the same as their Hylian counterparts. They are parallel versions of themselves, if that makes sense.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
I would also like to add on another thing, just for certain clarification about the whole Terminian counterparts:

PT said:
(three characters that we know did go from one world to the other -Link, Mask Seller and Skull Kid).

Link I have no doubts about in that sense. The Mask Seller... Maybe. I'm not sure on that one, myself. But Skull Kid is definitely from Termina.

"Wait, what?" You ask. "But in MM Skull Kid was first seen in Hyrule, in the Lost Woods. He must be from there, right?"

Nope. There's absolutely no way that he could be from anywhere else but Termina.

The biggest problem that someone would create by saying that Skull Kid is not from Termina is that they would be ignoring one major fact: Skull Kid and the Four Giants have been friends for a long time. And the Giants are definitely from Termina. To add some more detail, allow me to provide a couple snippets from ZeldaWiki:
ZeldaWiki said:
Before the events of Majora's Mask take place, long ago the people of Termina lived in a single world, united and blessed by the four giants living among them. It was during this time that the giants befriended a small imp.

ZeldaWiki said:
However, the small imp, who had been friends with the giants even before they created the four worlds...

There's no way that the "small imp", or in other words, Skull Kid, could not be from Termina.

"But wait," you cry. "Wasn't Skull Kid the same one that you see in the Lost Woods in OoT? Isn't he from Hyrule?"

Probably. But that doesn't mean he has to be from Hyrule. Check this out:

ZeldaWiki said:
Later on, Skull Kid encounters the travelling Happy Mask Salesman at the crossroads of Hyrule and Termina, the Lost Woods.

So it seems to me that Skull Kid found a way to leave Termina, not a way to enter it. That's how you saw him before in OoT. Pretty funky, right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom