• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Careers

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I've worked various odd-jobs.

I've worked at:
  1. State Farm as a licensed insurance representative.
  2. Allstate as a licensed insurance representative.
  3. Convergys, which was a terrible job. I worked customer service for DirecTV when I worked with them.
  4. Mountain West, which was the worst job I've ever had, period.
  5. Dishwasher at a hotel restaurant. Terrible job.
  6. Working on computers. One of the cooler jobs I've had.
  7. Guitar teacher and salesman. One of the cooler jobs I've had.
Currently, I work at my dad's auto body shop while I'm going to school for physics.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I've worked various odd-jobs.

I've worked at:
  1. State Farm as a licensed insurance representative.
  2. Allstate as a licensed insurance representative.
  3. Convergys, which was a terrible job. I worked customer service for DirecTV when I worked with them.
  4. Mountain West, which was the worst job I've ever had, period.
  5. Dishwasher at a hotel restaurant. Terrible job.
  6. Working on computers. One of the cooler jobs I've had.
  7. Guitar teacher and salesman. One of the cooler jobs I've had.
Currently, I work at my dad's auto body shop while I'm going to school for physics.
So youre very licenced!? :P

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
You seem to have alotta licences.... i only have driving licence....
When I worked with Allstate, I believe I was licensed to practice insurance pretty much everywhere except New Jersey, because they're ****ed up in the way they do insurance.

But again, glad I don't work insurance. It's very stressful, soul crushing, and.... complicated. People tend to get mad when you can't legally give them a break on their insurance.

I've been called horrible things when dealing with SR-22's, unlicensed drivers, and Californians when I can't legally give them a discount that I could in other states.

Don't ask, it's complicated.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I'm a cashier at a family restaurant. It's a sweet gig. Our business emphasizes customer satisfaction. It's downright appalling how far out of our way we go for customer satisfaction. And it pays too because it really does bring in the crowds. Who knew that making customers happy will encourage them to show up and pay you???

I really enjoy that aspect of the business as well because I just like meeting and getting along with people. I'm not particularly outgoing either. I'm not shy but I'm not exactly the extroverted type. It is the best part of the job though. Otherwise the work is fast paced and challenging but not needlessly difficult. Fortunately, I don't have to put up with much crap from my coworkers. I work mostly with teenagers too and seeing them gives me profound hope for the future.

It doesn't pay much in today's economy even though it pays far better than the same work at other companies but fortunately that isn't much of a factor for me. Raises are frequent too and with the amount of scratch we've been pulling in for the franchise owners this summer I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to give us a bonus.

Does this job work for me? Yeah! The pay isn't the problem. Like so many places the problem is the cost of living. Is this something I want to make a career out of? Maybe. I dunno. I gave up on figuring out some grand master plan for my life a long time ago. I came to the conclusion that this idea that your career prospects are determined and secured forever straight out of college is a horrible misconception. Instead of falling victim to that lie, just find out whatever job works and keep doing it until it doesn't and then find something else that works. Even advanced professionals might dabble in numerous vocations throughout their lives.

Is this job something I want to do forever? Again, maybe. If it remains personally fulfilling then why not? I can't reasonably expect to be able to be self sufficient without a manager's salary at least and to be honest I don't know if leadership is something I want to do. I'd be good at it, I'm sure, but I just don't know if it's my thing. But ya never know until you try. I never thought this line of work would be something I could do either before I started doing it.

Professional writing is something I've always known I wanted to do but never got around to it. I've always been told it's my calling. Someday maybe I'll get serious about publishing and see what happens but I'm the slow burn play it by ear sort when it comes to navigating through life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom