• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Careers

Ninja

Well well well
During a difficult shift at work today, it got me thinking about what my ideal career should be, and if I am on the right path.

What are you currently doing as a job right now, and will you make a career out of it? If not, what do you see yourself doing in the future that gives you a monetary and life balance?

I’ve been at a top level running multiple stores and restaurants for awhile now, almost a decade. While the pay is very good, I find myself sometimes dreaming of taking a pay cut and doing something with less ties and responsibility. Trying to find a balance is difficult and I’m definitely going to start taking more vacations.

What about you guys?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
For years I worked at housekeeping an cleaning and got tired of it. Then I decided to do something else. I've been in logistics for two years so I got a fair amount of experience in that field. And now with my current job I'm working at an assembly line but also am trained to become a proces-
operator. I don't know if this is what I really want but right now I'm very happy to have at least a job again. I make good money and weekends and holidays off. But I do wish to work one day less so I got more time for doing other stuff. But we wanna move closer to our jobs so maybe when everything is settled I might work one day less if that's possible with the current job.

My boyfriend's dream is to run a camping or hotel outside our countries one day. He likes to manage things on his own and not being told when or what to do

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Im happy enought as a shop assistant but i just wish the customers would use a bit of common sense....

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm a Podiatrist. The lower end of the body is not the end I wanted to work with. I wanted to pull teeth, however seeing as Dental school was oversubscribed when Dentistry was my dream career I ended up signing up for Podiatry instead.

After I graduated I worked in a private practice for two years, which was two years too long! I hated that wretched place so much for numerous reasons and I wish I'd have left sooner.

Anyway I finally left and started up my own podiatry business. I now deliver treatments to patients in their own homes. My clients are mostly rich old ladies and I happen to get on well with rich old ladies so that works out rather well. I am very happy with my choice to start up my own business. I don't like answering to other people or being told what to do so working for someone else isn't for me. As a business owner I get to work when I choose to, take holidays when I want and very rarely have to get up early.

I imagine I will stick with this business until I retire.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I’m a manager at McDonald’s. It is my first and only job and i feel like I should be thinking about leaving and finding a better job but I don’t for some reason. I don’t like the job but it pays well and I’m able to afford my own apartment with it so it’s not too bad. I’ve also gotten comfortable with this job. I’ve been working there for 4 years and I don’t really want to start over.

I don’t know what my ideal career would be. I still haven’t really figured that out yet. I don’t want to stay with McDonald’s forever but I really don’t know what I want to pursue as a career.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I dream of working in gaming someday. Mainly as a 3D artist which is what I feel I excel at. But sometimes it just seems so damn undoable. I think I got very demoralized when I tried to come into contact with various companies and everyone turned me down despite my portfolio being pretty good. It's such a demanding thing to do too, I suspect it might be too much for me after all what with depression and anxiety holding me down.

But it's what I love and it's what I'm good at. I just grow so increasingly tired of my past 2 years of the unemployment department shuffling me around from practice place to practice place for 8k SEK a month. Right now, the idea of career seems like a never-ending line of dead ends ..

I want to make a career in IT one day. Right now I'm a final year student. I just need to finish my dissertation and hope next year I'll get a degree in CS. I've found info about best writing services on https://paidpaper.net/edusson-review/ to help me with that task.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'm a lost boy, only had 1 job and its been over a year since I left it, if I end up w/ nothing in the next few years, my back up plan is to just be a truck driver so there's that

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My part time job atm is as a cook in a busy downtown restaurant, but that's certainly not my dream job, it's just my main source of income atm.

I also work as a freelance musician on the side, and I'm at the point in my career now where i never accept gigs that don't pay. I perform for pay a few times a month now and recently recorded an EP that will be coming out sometime later this summer, but I wish I was doing more. I have one more year of my music degree and then hopefully I'll be able to build a real career as a freelancer.

My ultimate goal, however, is to be a music teacher. I intend to pursue an after degree in education to help get me into the school system. I've known since high school that I wanted to do that, and I hope one day I can achieve that ultimate goal!

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I currently work in a pub as a bar team member (I just started maternity leave though so no work for the best part of a year now). But I’ve done tonnes of jobs, mostly customer service based. I’m a fully trained barista; which was only a sideways step into bar work as I did that for two years. Before that I briefly worked in an office and answering phones, and before that I worked in various retail positions. So overall I’ve been working in some form of customer service for seven years. I think I used to believe I’d get a “real” job and “real” career but with a baby coming soon and whatnot it’s not really realistic to change things up too much for the time being. At least bar work can be pretty flexible and there is a way to move up the ladder. Mostly I like it. You get a sense of camaraderie because everyone else you work with works the same crazy hours you do. But it’s very hard work. You deal with every foreseeable situation. I’ve had to clean vomit and break up fights lol. It’s like babysitting sometimes and wherever there’s customers, there’s stupidity. But it’s rarely boring. When I go back to work I intend to at least try to progress to a team leader or supervisor position. So I guess it’s becoming my career whether I like it or not but since I’ve never really known what I want to do with my life I’m okay with this.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
I'm still in school, and I have never really had an official job. However, I am looking forward to getting one next summer. Don't know what it would be yet though; preferably something that doesn't involve a lot of talking, hopefully something that would give me insight on a job I might try in the future.

Speaking of which, in the long run, I would like to be a materials engineer in the military, maybe even stationed across the world. I figure it would be best because I really like chemical sciences and creating new things, and I feel kind of guilty that so many people lived and died under horrible rulers while I live in a free country. So I think that due to the fact that being born in the western world has saved me and so many others, it would be good if I can fight for it. The military is known to be cruel though, and I worry that I might not be able to make it through any kind of training so it may not come to fruition.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm currently a substitute teacher. It's not something I expected to be doing when I was a kid, that's for sure. But I'm really enjoying it all the same. I love working with kids and although I can't see myself being a full time teacher, I still want to work in the school system. I want to be a one-on-one for kids with special needs to assist them in the classroom. That's my career goal.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
My most recent job was a dish washer for a hotel restaurant. Was fine for a while but when management changed we were worked into the unholy hours of the night so I quit, plus there was no real upward mobility. At 22 I thought I'd be at least above the minimum wage lower end stuff. Not management level but at least not on the bottom. So i'm currently living the NEET life trying to find work before the money runs out. in a perfect world I'd be doing something with story telling. I've got like two binders for the world building and all that. Actually writing it out is hard though. I know the basic story but to detail it just makes my brain sore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom