• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Capturing Pokemon

Ice Sage

these are words
Hello there people. I checked so I don't believe there are any threads about this. This time We'll talk about catching pokemon. Catching pokemon also has certin variables that go through a math equation. Now, this equeation is more complex so just bear with me. I got the information from serebii.net page about it here. The catch rate has some more variables that you can't see. Such as the opposing pokemon's HP. You could just guess these. Now, some definitions. (Oh joy, more vocabulary.)

Max HP: The amount of hit points the opposing pokemon has when it's health is full.
HP: The current amount of hit points the opposing pokemon has.
Ball Modifier: The value of your pokeball. (see chart below)
Catch Rate: A value that determins how easily a pokemon is to catch. (Go to Bulbapedia here to see them all because I don't have the patience to put down the rate for every single pokemon.)
Status Modifiers: The value put on pokemon when they are in a status ailement. (see chart below)
CatchValue: The first equeation.
X^Y: X represents a normal number like 2. ^Y represents that a number in place of Y is a power. So 2^3 would be two to the third power or 8.

Status Modifiers:
Frozen 2
Sleep 2
Paralysis 1.5
Burn 1.5
Poison 1.5
None 1

Ball Modifiers:
PokéBall Standard ball used to capture Pokémon * 1

Great Ball A Ball with a better catch rate than a PokéBall * 1.5

Ultra Ball A Ball with a better catch rate than a Great Ball * 2

Master Ball A Ball that never fails at capture ---

Safari Ball A Ball that only exists in the Safari Zone * 1.5

Net Ball A Ball that works better on Bug or Water Types.
If they aren't Bug/Water then * 1. If they are then * 3 * 1

Dive Ball A Ball that works better on the ocean floor and on Pokémon on water
If used out of water then * 1. If battle field is water then * 3.5 * 1

Nest Ball A Ball that works better on Pokémon of a lower level
The Opponent's Level is put into the following formula: (40 - Level)/10. The higher number at the end the better * 1 to 3

Repeat Ball A Ball that works better on Pokémon previously captured.
If the Pokémon hasn't been in your Pokédex then * 1. If it has then * 3. * 1

Timer Ball A Ball that works better the longer the battle has run
Runs off a formula based on how long the Pokémon has been in battle: (Turn + 10) / 10. The longer the better (Maximum of 40 turns to count) * 1 - 4

Luxury Ball A Ball that can make a Pokémon like you easier.
The Pokémon gains an extra Happiness Value for each Happiness Value that has been obtained * 1

Premier Ball A Ball that is given at special events. * 1

Balls introduced in Sinnoh

Dusk Ball A Ball that makes it easier to catch wild in dark places like caves caves and at night * 3.5

Heal Ball A remedial Pokéball that restores the caught Pokémon's HP and eliminates any status problem. * 1

Quick Ball A Pokéball that provides a better catch rate if it is used at the start of a wild encounter
Capture Rate is at 4 for the first turn and 1 any other turn * 4 - * 1

Cherish Ball A Pokéball used to signify special Pokémon * 1

Park Ball A Pokéball only available in Pal Park. Guarantees capture. --

Balls only in the High Link

Dream Ball A dream-like Pokeball that appears suddenly in your bag when you are in the Highlink Forest. It can catch any Pokemon. --
Balls only in Johto

Fast Ball A Ball that catches Fast Pokémon
GSC
If the Pokémon does not flee from battle then * 1. Else * 4
HGSS
If the Pokémon has a Base Speed stat of less than 100 * 1. Else * 4 * 1

Friend Ball A Ball that makes Pokémon like you
The Pokémon's Base Happiness is 200 instead of 70 * 1

Heavy Ball A Ball that catches Heavier Pokémon Easier
If the Pokémon weighs less than 451.1lbs, the value is -20. If the Pokémon weighs more than 451.1lbs, the value is +20. If the Pokémon weighs more than 677.3lbs, the value is +30. If the Pokémon weighs over 903lbs, the value is +40. -20, +0,
+20, +30, +40

Level Ball The bigger the difference in level between your Pokémon and the Capture Target, the more likely the capture
If the Pokémon's Level is greater than the opponent's level then * 2. If half your Pokémon's Level is greater than the opponent's Level then * 4. If a quarter of your Pokémon's Level is greater than the opponents Level then * 8 * 2, * 4, * 8

Love Ball This ball works better on Pokémon of the opposite Gender
If the Pokémon is of the same species as yours and the Pokémon's Gender is not the same as the Opponent then * 8. If it is the same or either have no gender then * 1 * 1

Lure Ball This ball works better on Pokémon snagged with Fishing Rod
If the Pokémon was obtained through Fishing then * 3. If the Pokémon wasn't, then *1 * 1

Moon Ball This ball works better on Pokémon that evolve with Moon Stone
If the Pokémon evolves with Moon Stone then * 3. If the Pokémon doesn't, then *1 * 1

Sport Ball A Ball that only exists in the National Park * 1.5

Here are the two equations.

CatchValue = ((( 3 * Max HP - 2 * HP ) * (Catch Rate * Ball Modifier ) / (3 * Max HP) ) * Status Modifier

Catch = 1048560 / √(√(16711680 / CatchValue)) = (2^20 - 2^4) / √(√((2^24 - 2^16) / CatchValue))

Now, I know this is daunting, and I highly suggest using a calculator. Last but not least. First of, if the CatchValue is 255, the catch is a guarentee. If not, we use the second equation. Every shake of the pokeball is a random number being generated between 0 and 255. If that random number is greater than the catch the capture fails. The pokeball shakes 3 times, and if the number you get out of the equation is greater then all three numbers, you caught the pokemon. The Heavy Ball seems to be strange with its value. I pretty sure you add its value rather tham multiply. Well, that's it. Hope you find it useful. Feel free to post any questions.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom