• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Capture a Moment with Song

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
My memory is best stimulated with sound. Listening to a game's soundtrack brings back the same feelings as when I was actually playing the game, if not stronger. Whenever I listen to a particular artist or album, I'm brought back to the point in my life when I first discovered it and spent a lot of time listening to it.

For example, I was attending a summer program at Carnegie Mellon when MapleStory's Time Temple update came out, so whenever I hear music from that area now, I feel like I'm in that dorm room playing the game. Once I'm there, everything else about that experience comes up too - the two classes I took, the awful cafeteria food, and most importantly my emotional state.

Similarly, the first two Hitomi albums I listened to - Angel Feather Voice and Angel Feather Voice 2 - as well as the Mushishi soundtrack take me back to my third year of college when I lived in a single dorm room and spent most of my free time lying in bed and watching anime. KOKIA reminds me of the summer I spent living at school while working at a local company.

I can turn this association backwards, too. Whenever a special moment comes up, I try to attach a particular song to it to add more emotional power to the moment. Sometimes it's a recurring moment, other times it's a special once-in-a-lifetime event that should never be forgotten.

When it rains, I like to stare out the window while listening to "Listen to the Rain" by Enya.

When it snows, "雪のひとひら" (yuki no hitohira) by Hitomi Kuroishi.

Finally, I augmented my visit to Panorama Point on Mt. Rainier with "fly high", another of my favorite Hitomi songs, which I can't find online.

What are your special songs?

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I do the same thing ^^ Although the music that most stimulates any sort of memory for me is music that I only listened to during one phase of my life and when I listen to that music, it's like I can trick my mind into thinking that it's however long ago that was and everything that happened since was really just a dream. I love doing that.

When it's sunny I listen to Nirvana or Rise Against, when it's cloudy I listen to Flyleaf or Breaking Benjamin, when it's raining I listen to Linkin Park or Slipknot, when it's just dark outside I listen to Billy Talent or The Used, when it's snowing I find myself listening to lots of strange bands that I like but don't usually listen to like Lacuna Coil.
And System of a Down is good for anytime ^^

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
She's Actual Size, Mammal, Dinner Bell, Turn Around, and I Palindrome I, all off of They Might Be Giants' Apollo 18 album, have this effect on me, as well as The Mesopotamians, Why Does the Sun Shine?, Dead, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, Birdhouse In Your Soul and Istanbul, also by them. A lot of those songs of those songs remind me of being younger, at the time in my life when I really didn't care about things. Before my mom died, before I started having problems, etc. Some of them remind me of times when I was struggling, and those songs were the only thing keeping me sane. The thing is, all of the songs remind me of different years or places, even ones off the same album. Well, kinda. She's Actual Size and Dinner Bell remind me of when I was about four, when I was living in an apartment with my parents and my siblings, and I shared a room with my sister. Whenever I hear She's Actual Size, I think of a specific time where I was listening to the song and pretending my sisters stuffed animals were singing it. Mammal reminds me of when I moved into a house, as well as The Mesopotamians, Why Does The Sun Shine?, and Istanbul. Turn Around, Dead, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair and I Palindrome I actually remind me of a time after I started having problems, after I moved in with my grandmother. My dad had my listen to them probably after making some comment about something, but I'm pretty sure Dead was a song I may have remembered from some time, and I remembered it as "I Came Back as a Bag of Groceries" Those songs, along with video games, were the only thing keeping me going. Birdhouse In Your Soul came later. That was in 2013, before I started middle school. I was having troubles, and I was looking up They Might Be Giants songs. However, every time I typed in "They Might Be Giants" into the search bar to listen to a different song, it always suggested Birdhouse In Your Soul. I gave it a listen, and that song really helped me. Every time I was getting worked up, I would sing it to myself, and it would help me calm down.

Besides that, a few Social Distortion songs, and some solo stuff by the lead singer, I used to listen to in my dad's car (Although I also listened to Apollo 18 in the car, but the album never reminds me of that.), and it always reminds me of that.

Also, any song that is on rock band 1 or 3 makes me think of playing rock band.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Usually I have certain songs or certain albums attached to a specific period in my life. Green Day I always associate with 6th and 7th grade when I first got into music. Nirvana always takes me back to 8th grade when I made some new friends who were in a band and covered a lot of Nirvana songs. Radiohead brings me to my freshman and sophomore year of high school when I was going through severe depression. Blur takes me to Summer '11 when I fell in love for the first time. The London Suede reminds me of my junior year when I was getting into more obscure rock music and hanging out with a more...androgynous crowd. Arctic Monkeys and Tame Impala are my senior year, when I finally got through all the crap and was a better person after all of it...and I even got to see the Arctic Monkeys live with The Orwells. And they allow me to remember Summer '14 when I had the boys around and partied.

And...Oasis. My favorite band of all time. Always there since I was 5 years old. They are a part of everything I've been through. I love them with all my heart.

Right now, I'm into Pink Floyd.

The moment when the world still has religious missionaries that travel to extremely impoverished countries only to tell the people there they must accept a foreign religion for sins they didn't know they committed, and keep their country in poverty and their communities in suffering.

"Well, you've seen the disease, suffering and decay,
And you whisper to yourself blissfully "it's okay"
And you still refuse the possibility
That the dead are better off than we"

Anytime I see politicians on TV hiding the truth I think of these lyrics

"If you've done nothing wrong
you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide
you shouldn't even be here
"

From this song:

Integral
Pet Shop Boys

And it's so true. If you have something to hide or lie about you shouldn't be in government.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom