• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Capcom to Be Bought Out.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
[video=youtube;YiQstv78DmI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiQstv78DmI[/video]

What do you think about this? Who do you think will end up buying them?

Personally, while I'd like Nintendo to do it, I think MS will be the one who ends up buying them. Sony's too poor to do it and Nintendo's too stupid.

mmm.this bidding war can change a whole lot in the console war. and i do hope Nitendo gets at least mega man.. but as for Microsoft. if they buy capcom. then megaman, DMC etc could end up like that well known Bear and bird.. oh and that crazy Squirrel.

I agree with Heroine that Microsoft would be my last choice for the company to buy Capcom. Not only has their acquisition of companies like Rare fared poorly, an American company like Microsoft lacks the cultural understanding of Japanese entertainment.

Rather than being bought out by another third party, I want to see either Nintendo or Sony pick up Capcom. As DarkestLink mentioned, Sony lacks proper funding currently making Nintendo the more logical choice currently. I think everyone wants to see the return of Megaman in particular on a Nintendo system with his upcoming Smash Bros. outing. This would also be an intelligent move by Nintendo to win back the gamers that were disheveled by Nintendo's "appeal to everyone" approach which alienated the gamers that elevated the company to its current status in the first place.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

I agree that Nintendo would be the best choice and MS would be the worst. But...as much as I love Nintendo as developers, they are one of the most brain dead businesses I've ever seen. And this would not be the first time they let an opportunity like this slide past them. With that sad, my expectations for Nintendo to buy Capcom are low. It's a possibility, yes, and certainly a hope, but not something I'm expecting.

Crud. I don't know what to say about this. I'm a big Capcom guy. Remaining a dedicated fan isn't going to be easy from now on, regardless of who winds up buying the company. It just won't feel the same. Nostalgia goggles.

I agree that Nintendo would be the best choice and MS would be the worst. But...as much as I love Nintendo as developers, they are one of the most brain dead businesses I've ever seen. And this would not be the first time they let an opportunity like this slide past them. With that sad, my expectations for Nintendo to buy Capcom are low. It's a possibility, yes, and certainly a hope, but not something I'm expecting.

What do you mean by "braindead"? Are you referring to their hesitancy to embrace the Internet or their software and hardware decisions? Nintendo's general direction for the future still needs some ironing out, but they appear to have a more central focus than last generation and are truly playing the part of creating experiences for everyone. When Nintendo is struggling to sell new systems is when the company takes risks instead of sitting on the laurels of Wii Sports or Mario. The company's prospects are hopeful.

DarkestLink

I consider them brain dead when their consoles fail not once, not twice, but three times and all for the same reason. Technically they never even fixed it with the Wii, they just found a way to make it work and then dropped that the very next gen.

Ganondork

goo
What do you mean by "braindead"? Are you referring to their hesitancy to embrace the Internet or their software and hardware decisions? Nintendo's general direction for the future still needs some ironing out, but they appear to have a more central focus than last generation and are truly playing the part of creating experiences for everyone. When Nintendo is struggling to sell new systems is when the company takes risks instead of sitting on the laurels of Wii Sports or Mario. The company's prospects are hopeful.

I am inclined to agree with DarkestLink. After the constant server failures with Mario Kart 8, and the apparent lack of online co op in Hyrule Warriors, I am convinced that Nintendo doesn't know what their Western audience wants. Before I hear the usual rhetoric of, "But they are catering more to Japan!!" I'd like to bring up the fact that so many Japanese people are playing Mario Kart 8 online that it's ridiculous. Every game I have been in has had at least two people from Japan. This is what they want.

They aren't providing an experience for everyone because they are still not really catering to hardcore gamers outside of those that are interested in first party titles. The third party support is atrocious, and the supposed indie support is almost nonexistent. Nintendo is really riding high on first party titles, and only a few third party titles are really to be seen. This is the same exact issue that they had last generation, and they are doing nothing to fix it.

Back to online for a moment. The hardware is there. It is entirely in the realm of possibility to allow for online multiplayer, but they are so reluctant that it makes it impossible to defend them. If Star Fox doesn't have online co op, I will be very upset. And watch, I doubt it will.

This generation, people can't run to the old excuse of, "The hardware just isn't there!" because it is. At this point, you have to realize that it's Nintendo that is at fault, not the hardware.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Discussed this on GAF yesterday; it shows an amazing lack of faith from Capcom's shareholders in regards to the company, to cease counter-measures of a buy-out after all these years.

People seem to have the wrong idea about this in that Capcom aren't dying, they aren't desperately trying to find a buyer or anything, they're still a profitable company. The shareholders just feel like, in the long-run, Capcom would make more money not being an independent company and therefore are no longer interested in continuing counter-measures to ensure Capcom remain independent, that's all. The board will still have a say in who buys them, unless there's a butt-tonne of money involved.

And therefore people are really riding the fan waves if Nintendo is being thrown out as a potential buyer, that's very much a wish-listing choice. All 3 of the console vendors are probably very low on the potential buyers list, Nintendo definitely at the bottom, since this is all about growth. Capcom, unless as I said there's a lot of money involved, aren't looking to grow their company by becoming an exclusive developer for 1 company. The biggest potential buyers will be giants like Tencent and Nexon, those huge corporations who will put them to work across all platforms, including smartphones. That's what Capcom is looking for. There's always a chance 1 of the 3 console vendors could buy them, Microsoft being the obvious best choice, objectively speaking, but still very unlikely.

I love Capcom, so I hope any potential buyer does them justice.

Last edited:

Fig

The Altruist
It's really sad that a company such as CAPCOM is slowly dying off and would most likely won't survive unless another company bought. As the video stated, whoever buys CAPCOM will have huge amounts of potential for the current generation of gaming.

Microsoft does have the money to buy CAPCOM, but I personally don't want to see more video games series that I love just be go down because of how Microsoft rarely utilizes them. Look at Banjo and Kazooie, Microsoft practically killed the series with Nuts and Bolts and the chances of seeing the light of Banjio Threeie is just not there anymore. It's also sad that Conker has now been killed by Microsoft as well since he's going to appear in Project Spark and not in his own video game. You can't make another Conker game like Bad Fur Day after he has appeared in such a light-hearted game such as Project Spark. The potential is there no doubt, but I don't think Microsoft would realize it before it's too late only to kill the franchise when they try to make a new game, so I don't think it's logical for Microsoft to buy CAPCOM. We don't need more video game series to die off.

Sony, while would do a decent job with all of CAPCOM's franchise, just doesn't have the money right now so I could see why they wouldn't buy CAPCOM right away but that doesn't mean they don't have a chance to do so. I'm sure the majority of CAPCOM's franchise could be utilized and even add in extra content for PS3/PS4/PSVita as most franchise would fit right at home with Sony.

I think when it comes to who should buy CAPCOM, the most logical choice is Nintendo. While a portion of my personal thoughts are because I'm a fanboy, in retrospect, Nintendo and CAPCOM really do have a great partnership throughout the years, bringing in franchises such as Mega Man, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Ace Attorney across Nintendo's consoles and handhelds. Heck, Nintendo even gave CAPCOM permission to create games that are Nintendo property such The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap and Japan-exclusive Mario games. I think it just makes a lot of sense for Nintendo to buy CAPCOM simply because how good of a past they have with CAPCOM.

As for the people say that Nintendo isn't marketing for the Western world enough, I do have to agree. When it comes to Nintendo, all branches of the company have to follow the orders from the main branch, in this case Nintendo of Japan. Because the population in Japan is much greater than say United States, it's not the difficult to find local battles on a daily basis. This is why we don't that much influence or options for online play because since it isn't hard to find a local match in Japan, it's much harder for areas that are not as populated as Japan. I think if Nintendo decided to allow their other branches to make the choices for their respective areas, I think Nintendo would actually have a better outcome than what the company is currently facing. That said, I do believe Nintendo should buy CAPCOM simply because of the potential Nintendo could have with the franchises that CAPCOM is famous for.

Ganondork

goo
Fig said:
Because the population in Japan is much greater than say United States

This isn't remotely true, though. The population of Japan in 2012 was 127.6 million, and the United States' population was 313.9 million. In order to gauge how different it is now, you have to understand that both have, theoretically, declining populations. Japan's Total Fertility Rate is 1.39, and America's is 1.89. Both are below the necessary amount to keep the population stable - 2.1 - but America is far closer. There is also the fact that migration to the United States is far more common due to Mexico and the rest of Latin America being nearby. Japan, according to officials, needs 200,000 immigrants each year in order keep their population stable.

If you were trying to say that the Japanese own more Nintendo consoles than America, you're also wrong. At the end of March, there were 16.98 million Wii Us sold to Americans, versus only 5.62 million to the Japanese. Japan has only sold about a million more 3DSs by the end of 2013 - 15.76 million in Japan, and 14.36 million in North America. The closeness between 3DS sales is blown out of the water by the vast difference - over triple - in Wii U sales.

Nintendo's attitude has nothing to do with population. It has to do with their business tactics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom