• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Can't find food, so can't explore, so can't find food (Great Plateau)

I've been using the fantastic Walkthrough, and have completed the Old Man's tasks and received my reward. Since then I've been trying to build up food provisions for more exploring, but now only have 2 apples and a mushroom. I find a little food, fight bokoblins for weapons, eat a bit to fill hearts, and repeat. I can't get past that point.

I went back to the beginning area where the old man was, but new food hasn't re-spawned. I need to explore in order to get food, but I don't know how I'm going to survive. Is it really going to be game over? Is there some other plentiful food source that at least re-spawns?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Start going into Shrines, collect some spirit orbs, and cash them in at Goddess Statues to expand your hearts. The more you explore the more food and what not you will find. It might feel like exploring is risky, but the game rewards exploring. If you want to avoid enemies while looking to stock up on food, consider using stealth and avoiding combat whenever possible. Also, cooking the food and mixing them together to get temporary effects is always good.

I'm assuming you already have the paraglider?

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
BOTW was designed so that there are always multiple ways to reach a solution. When I first played, I threw myself at enemies over and over again. After many deaths, it eventually worked; but once I realized that I could find other ways around obstacles, the many early deaths were painful to remember.
Use the stealth mechanics and Shekiah runes to your advantage. Weapon durability exists in order to help you find these solutions. Be creative with the tools around you, and know that you don’t always have to fight; and even if you do, there are always ways you can buff yourself up. Good luck!

Thank you. Yes, I do have that reward. I don't know how to make a spoiler alert, but yes.

And I, too, have died a million deaths, which is probably why this continent has no more food. ;)

What other foods or promising locations can I find on the Plateau? Are apples, herbs, mushrooms, and peppers the only gatherable foods there? They are not re-spawning. I think I saw a hog in the dark, but couldn't possibly have gotten him.

Thank you for reminding me about stealth and runes. You mention other ways can I buff myself in Great Plateau?

I spent all day looking for food, am now down to a couple apples. Can't look for food without food. I guess I'm not inventive enough.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Good luck! BOTW is an amazing game to start with. One more tip, since you asked about getting stronger: look for chests. Magnesis will show you chests stuck in the ground that you can pull out, and there is lots of loot hidden throughout the world. Pretty much all the shrines have chests, too; once you collect all of the chests on a shrine, a chest symbol will show up next to its name on the map. Have fun!

MW7

One other thing to keep in mind is that you can refill hearts by sleeping. There is a hut in the southeast corner of the plateau with a bed. I believe it activates and lets you sleep once you have the paraglider. If not, try leaving the plateau and returning. I know at first it won't let you sleep but at some point the game hits a trigger and you can sleep there as much as you want. You can quickly warp to the stasis shrine and paraglide down to it. There are also some supplies in the hut and nearby.

Reaching Kakariko would be a big help as well. You can get there without running into a single enemy if you are careful. Hug the right hills going from the Plateau to Dueling Peaks to avoid enemies, and then get across the river when you see the tower. From the tower climb up the little stone shelf on the left where the river cuts through to avoid an enemy camp on the river bank. Then turn left at the stable and follow the road. There is something obtainable just near Kakariko that refills your hearts whenever you lose them all.

Activate as many shrines as you can so that you can warp back in case you die, and in the early game I'd recommend running away rather than fighting anything. It'll get a lot easier as you make progress. You'll get there.

Last edited:
I'd say stock up on food, avoid enemies for now until you can get the rune shrines under your belt, nab the glider and head down to the Twin Peak Stable area. Unless there's a glitch, and your copy might be glitched, it should respawn in a 24 hr. cycle. Have fun and good luck.

Last edited:
I've been using the fantastic Walkthrough, and have completed the Old Man's tasks and received my reward. Since then I've been trying to build up food provisions for more exploring, but now only have 2 apples and a mushroom. I find a little food, fight bokoblins for weapons, eat a bit to fill hearts, and repeat. I can't get past that point.

I went back to the beginning area where the old man was, but new food hasn't re-spawned. I need to explore in order to get food, but I don't know how I'm going to survive. Is it really going to be game over? Is there some other plentiful food source that at least re-spawns?
Hi, you have probably progressed away from the great plateau area now, but I wanted to mention this tip:
There are metal boxes around campsites and there are several near Oman Au Shrine where you received your Magnesis rune. If you use Magnesis to break these boxes, (easiest by lifting them high and dropping them on the ground or on each other, -- but not on Link! watch the guide circle on the ground to be sure) you will get food supplies and often arrows or rupees. I break every one. You can also use them to knock enemies off high perches, or into water, or off mountains. :D Happy exploring.

I'm currently in my second play through, and I'm really lazy this time :D I just go around exploring and getting all the armor and upgrades, doing all the side quests etc. but I haven't bothered with even a single
DB

metal boxes.jpg

You might want to use glitches make it faster/easier,but no,don't do that.
experiencing the game normally is something nobody wants to miss out.
Using glitches will make the adventure shortlived and not fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom