• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cane of Byrne

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
i havent played st yet but i heard about someone called byrne in the game do you think he has anything to do with the cane of byrne from alttp.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
Well, there's a number of reasons why not- for one thing, ST's Byrne is an aggressive physical warrior, and thus is unlikely to have made a magic item that is solely to defend from attack. Secondly, it's the Cane of Byrna, not Byrne. I can see why they might reuse a name (like Fado or whatever), but it's more likely another godawful train pun. Thirdly, LttP takes place on an entirely different timeline from ST, not to mention that if it were, it would have been before Byrne, who comes after Ganon's death. So no, it's probably not connected in any way.

Byrne is, however, a total bad@$$. He's like, "I must fight" and then "No wait I must fight someone else" and then "argh now I am good *glurk* ow"

Well, there's a number of reasons why not- for one thing, ST's Byrne is an aggressive physical warrior, and thus is unlikely to have made a magic item that is solely to defend from attack. Secondly, it's the Cane of Byrna, not Byrne. I can see why they might reuse a name (like Fado or whatever), but it's more likely another godawful train pun. Thirdly, LttP takes place on an entirely different timeline from ST, not to mention that if it were, it would have been before Byrne, who comes after Ganon's death. So no, it's probably not connected in any way.

Byrne is, however, a total bad@$$. He's like, "I must fight" and then "No wait I must fight someone else" and then "argh now I am good *glurk* ow"

Just following on to what TVTMaster said. SPOILERS: You do have to fight byrne in the game. He is the tower of spirits' boss.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
(It would depend on which timeline you placed LttP in, but) SPOILERS: What if Bryne created it or something when he was reincarnated in the future, as Anjean said he would. I'm not going to start arguing the ins and outs of that, as I don't ever get too far into timeline theorising, I'm just saying "what if". That would account for the slight difference in name, and also give a reason as to why Bryne needs a magical weapon (eg he's not as strong as he was, or something). However, he DOES actually have some skill in magic SPOILERS: as ST shows- he created the compass of light, he instructs Zelda on how to use her own magic etc. It also seems a lot like him to create something that makes him invincible, as he craved more power. Idk.

Of course, there are some major continuity errors if LttP comes after ST, as TVTMaster said, so this seems pretty unlikely. More likely is it's just a little reference stuck in there from older games, as there are a few of them in ST. I'm still trying to work out the possible train puns though xDDD ... "burn" maybe, idk. Still this kind of thing is fun to think about~

That is an interesting thought. However, as others have said, it would cause a lot of timeline problems. It most likely is just another annoying train pun, but you never know.
For example (more SPOILERS)

Remember how Byrne created that energy shield which prevented Malladus from returning to Zelda's body? That was very similar to what the Cane of Bryna does. Plus, as North Apple mentioned, he could have made it in another lifetime, either before or after the events of ST. That being said, I'm pretty sure we don't know anything about where the Cane actually came from, so this is pretty much just random speculating.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire

the timeline thing depends on where you place it but it that doesnt matter because the Heros bow can be found on both sides of the timeline why noy this cane. but i know its untrue so whatever

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
LttP really can't be in the AT, since it has Ganon, Death Mountain, Lake Hylia, the Lost Woods, and all of Hyrule's specific landmarks and traits. New Hyrule, although there are those annoying parallels that rip off those places without any of the history, doesn't have those things, and thus unless the Great Sea were drained and Ganondorf revived and turned into Ganon and the Triforce sealed back into the Sacred Realm, it really can't possibly be post-WW.

W

Wolfe

Byrne?
Burn?
Coal?
Just a thought.
Well anyways, Byrne is pretty awesome. His gauntlet-y arm can extend.
Never played LttP though.

(Yawn) I would not now anything about this "CANE OF BYRNA" as I only have Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass, not A Link To the Past. Will somebody please tell me about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom