• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cane of Byrna

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Did you guys ever really use the Cane of Byrna in A Link to the Past?

I remember when I first was playing a Link to the Past some 15+ years ago, this was always one of the last items I got. It seemed just... in the middle of nowhere, so secluded from much of the game. Since it was an unnecessary item, I just never did get it.

I do remember when I did get it though, it was one of those items that I tried out, thought it looked cool, but that was it. Actually... I hardly ever used it for any real battling... just more for messing around.

Did you guys find the Cane to be useful against any particular enemies or bosses? I think it is cool to have items like this though, as it gives the game some mindless replay value in the sense that you can just run around defeating enemies with this item.

170px-Cane_of_Byrna.png

Last edited:

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
I may have found the Cane of Byrna useful if the Magic Cape wasn't already in there. I would have used the cane in the fight with Blind, except I had the Magic Cape instead.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I know that I obtained the Cane but I don't ever recall using it beyond the initial "What does this item do?" test after first getting it. I tended not to use the magic-based items much unless I really had to (ie - forced to do so to solve a puzzle) in ALttP because I tended to conserve items that needed to be replenished. I'm not really sure why I did this since replenishing magic was never that difficult to do, but I just never liked the idea of being stuck without magic in case I really did need it.

I do like the idea of this kind of item, or other similar items that are sort of bonus material to the actual items needed to finish the quest. I suppose a similar idea was used in the idea of TP's fairly one-time-use dungeon items, but it fell short of being the bonus item idea of ALttP.

Next playthrough of ALttP I'll definitely have to use it more to my advantage once I get it. I think my original conservation of magic was a mindset for a time when I was a lot younger and less experienced with Zelda games, and video games in general.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I found that item to be quite useful. I actually can't remember where it was obtained, but I know it was obtained before the Theif's Hideout, though. I did use it against Blind or whoever the boss was in that game. The boss there was actually rather difficult without the cane; however, once it was obtained, along with the 1/2 deducted magic, the boss fight becomes rather easy. It is also a bit helpful when you have to cross spike pits, of which I have done before.

Now, I've played this on the GBA version, so, it may or may not be in a different place where it originally was. Apart from fighting Blind and passing through pits of slow and painful deaths, I didn't see much point for it. Now, in other series, the one-time-use weapons were perhaps one of the greatest downfalls in Zelda. I mean, Lens of Truth could be used in only 3 places in OoT, but, I think there should've been more caves that used it so that way it would have more use, even though we have the Stone of Agony.

Anyways, back on track, it was interesting. As for the other cane, that was even more useless than the other one. It was only used twice, mainly for dungeon progression. It couldn't increase your attack or defense abilities, so, that didn't make it worthwhile outside Turtle Rock. I know, its off topic, but, it is still an ALttP cane. ;)

I agree that it's good having these items for replay value and just for the sake of having extra secrets... I enjoy that, having more items. :)

Alas, I also did not use it. I did however get it pretty much as soon as possible. I didn't personally think it was that hard to find. But I tried it out once, never really used it after that. Same with the Magic Cape. However, I might use them both when I play it again (planning to soon) because I was not aware that the Cane of Byrna also hurt enemies. That's interesting. I also might use them some just so I can. Kind of how I used the Deku Nuts in OoT.

Sometimes even if an item is mostly useless, and I don't normally use it, I like to make extra effort to do so, because sometimes it's funner and adds more variety. :)

I would always get this item in the game every time I played it. I found some very good uses for it. Like in the 6th dark world dungeon, Mystery Mire, there are several spikes all over. If you would step on it, you would get hurt. This is the area that I use the item the most. Also, if you are struggling with a boss, and have enough magic, this would be one of the best items to use. I would prefer using the cane here other than the magic cape, just due to the fact that you can actually see yourself and were you are when your invincible.

I collected it, but only for full completion purposes. I had already gotten the magic cape, not to mention that's how you get the Cane of Byrna in the first place, so it is virtually useless.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I never used it at all. I was all "Oh cool another cane. I wonder what this one does...' and then I tried it out and found out it was actually a rather redundant item. I figured out that all I did was waste a blue potion in getting it as well as having an item to do the same thing. I just really could Nintendo have made it any more redundant to get that thing?

The only times I ever used it, or the Magic Cape, was in Turtle Rock Dungeon to avoid the Poltergeist Tiles and in Ganon's Tower for getting across spikes. Other than that I've alway thought it to be pretty useless.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
I do recall attempting make use of it in the Ice Palace ages ago. The idea was to worry less about those slippery floors and just go through there wailing on baddies. Didn't work so well. Alas, the magic drain is much too fast.

I think that Bombos or Quake is really a better use of magic for rooms that are packed to the rafters with enemies. As for the areas with spikes, I'm a lot more inclined to use the cape.

There have even been a few playthroughs where I forgot to pick it up, and, at the end of the game, had no idea what item I missed. So, yeah, I almost never use this item. Though I think it would be fun to attempt making more use of it, sometime. You can get it right after you get the hammer, if I'm not mistaken.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
From what I remember of my first playthrough, (Which was 7 or 8 years ago, and I was little, so my memory might be a bit off..) it was actually useful on a few occasions.

There were a few times in a couple dungeons where I was to lazy to fight all the monsters in some rooms and so I used the Cane of Byrna to quickly get through the rooms. Particularly in the Misery Mire dungeon, though I didn't use it avoid spikes, I used it avoid those wizrobes, perhaps I should try using it for the spikes next time. I also used it as one of my last resorts for puzzle-solving if I was stuck, though I don't remember it working on any of the puzzles.

However after my first playthrough I really use the cane at all, I just picked it up out of habit, because I like to get everything I can on most playthroughs. It was nice to have, but I didn't use it to often because I always try to conserve magic. I'm reluctant to use any magic-using item in ALttP no matter the situation.

I think that perhaps the Cane of Byrna was put in as an afterthought, and it reminds me of the ice arrows in OoT as far as usefulness goes. The Cane of Byrna can be fun to play around with at times, but isn't necessary to the game. I enjoyed using the item though, and i'm glad they put it in the game.

CZG

I used it once I think. To cross the spikes and get the cape? You could do it without if you bring some potions or fairies...
I never found a good reason to use th blue cane (the orange was pretty fun though). The cape let you walk through the round, blue bouncing things and cross the spikes if needed...

The blue cane doesn't have a specific purpose, does it?
Both items depleted magic way too fast to be usefull anyway.

P.S. The Book of Mudora should have been stacked with the key items like the boots and the flippers!

I did not use it. Just like Nayrus Love in OoT. I don't need items which make me invincible. It takes too much from the challenge for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom