• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Cancer

Ninja

Well well well
The other C word. Do you know or have experience with this terrible disease?

Cancer runs rampant on my mothers side of the family, and recently my uncle whom is a father to me was diagnosed with bone cancer as well. It’s pretty devastating, and it’s crazy how cancer goes from barely noticeable to aggressively bad in just a matter of months.

What about you guys? Positive or negative, I’d like to hear your thoughts and experiences with it.

My half sister got blood cancer and it took her years to beat it. At least she did beat it though, I was there during a lot of the medication and the things she had to go through were insane.

Getting bone marrow drilled looked terrifying.

And when you bring up Cancer I can only hope our member @weirdinin isn't suffering.

I was thinking about weirdi earlier today actually. I sincerely hope his fight hasn't been too rough.

My grandma on my mom's side had breast cancer, and my grandpa on my dad's side had multiple myeloma. My grandpa on my mom's side had some sort of skin cancer but it was somewhat manageable and wasn't his cause of death. My aunt is a breast cancer survivor, but she's not a blood relative of mine. Cancer hasn't been too prominent in my immediate family, but I know of a lot of people whose lives were affected by it. I lost a teacher I was pretty close to without warning, midway through 8th grade. She had some really aggressive lung cancer that was misdiagnosed as pneumonia and by the time they caught it as cancer, it was stage 4 and she didn't have much longer to live.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
My grandmother on my dad's side passed away from cancer while I was in primary school and a cousin on my mother's side passed away from a childhood cancer and I know a few other people who have battled with cancer. It's a horrible thing and I hope that medical research will continue to reduce the death and suffering caused.

I have always been pretty afraid of the idea of having to experience it myself so I always get things checked pretty quickly if something doesn't seem right, but unfortunately there are cases where even doing that wouldn't be enough. Australians actually face the highest rate of cancer in the world (1 in 2 Australians will have been diagnosed with some form of cancer in their life by the age of 85), so it is something for sure to be carefully monitored.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well my Dad's father got colon cancer before I was born and died from it so I didn't know him. The treatment wasn't good for that kind of cancer back then, now it is better and I have known a lot of patients that have had and survived this kind. My dad gets tested for it because of his age and hasn't gotten the disease so far. He tends to eat good high fibre foods which are protective against this type of cancer.

My mother died from ovary cancer this year which spread to the bones and everywhere else really, except the liver. The liver was the only healthy bit. Cancer of the ovary is often undetectable until it is in a late stage. She only lived a couple of months after I found out she had it.

Vascular disease, dementia and cancer are what seem to kill the most people so I hope that they manage to find cures for these things and aging in general at some point. In the meantime living a healthy lifestyle and not developing metabolic disease is the best thing you can really do to try and avoid these things. Though some people just get unlucky regardless.

My great grandmother and great grandfather both passed away from lung cancer. My great grandfather was a heavy smoker. My grandma's sister died from lung cancer. This is all on my mother's side.

As for my dad's side of the family, I don't think there has been any cancer in recent generations. Heart disease is the bigger problem there.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
My grandmother passed away from cancer 2 years ago and my mom’s best friend lost her battle with it a few weeks ago.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The only person in my family I recall having cancer was one of my Father's cousins, but I never met him because he lost his battle with it many years before I was even born, he was really young too.

As far people I've interacted with, the only person I've talked to who has it is @weirdinin, and I still think about him often and hope he is doing well.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My grandma died of cancer in 2016 and I know someone else who is a Survivor. Other than that, my other grandma, who I'm extremely close with, is showing signs of dementia and I worry for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom