• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Thread Canadian Mafia II - Endgame

Nice gambit @ExLight . I very nearly lynched you, but I didn't because of stuff I know about you that allowed me to just barely believe your claim.

Also, @Mellow Ezlo , this game wasn't Canadian enough because it lacked a certain "Don't you put it in your mouth" commercial reference somewhere.

Jim Carrey, signing out.

"And in case I don't see ya... Goodafternoon, goodevening, and goodnight."

6033b4452700008003682418.png

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Gg mafia :)
I got on to vote FG and KJ had been hammered, not cool…
Thanks you guys! I had a lot of fun playing (and surviving past the first night this time). Thanks for all the support and I hope to see you in another game soon!

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
GG everyone, I wasn't playing my best this game but moving in the middle probably doesn't help. The trivia mechanic was fun, and I look forward to the next! :)

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Remaining questions. Feel free to answer them, i will post the answers after work!

• This iconic landmark stood as the world’s tallest free-standing structure from 1975 until the construction of the Burj Khalifa in 2007.
  • This federal leader was the father of the first Prime Minister in Canadian history to be related to another.
  • This prolific actor has many "layers" to their career, though they are primarily known for two iconic roles baby.
  • This popular skiing destination, the largest public ski resort in North America and a venue for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, is famous for the Peak 2 Peak Gondola which used to be the longest free span gondola line in the world and remains the highest above ground.
  • This province, originally a British Colony on the Atlantic Ocean, became a dominion in the early 20th century, reverted back to colony status in the 1930s, and then in 1949 became the 10th and final province to join Canadian confederation.
  • The Bell Homestead National Historic Site is the first house Alexander Graham Bell and his family had owned in North America after relocating from Scotland and is where Bell’s early experiments leading to the invention of the telephone were conducted, located in this Canadian city.
  • One of the most successful filmmakers of all time, this acclaimed director has dealt with sinking ships and extra terrestrials and discovered that groundbreaking special effects can propel one to the upper heights of the box office.
  • Heard you’d do anything for this gold rush, which occurred in the late 19th century after gold was discovered in the Yukon Territory; upwards of 100,000 people traveled to the region between 1897 and 1899, mostly via ports of southeastern Alaska.
  • A well-liked design amongst Canadians and tourists alike, the Northwest Territories abandons the traditional rectangular license plate design in favour of a plate in the shape of this popular ursine creature.
  • This delicious Canadian treat consists of a coconut crumble base with a layer of custard in the middle and hardened chocolate on top, named after a coastal city on Vancouver Island.
  • Ice hockey is the national winter sport of Canada and its national league is one of the most popular events to watch on Canadian and American television sport networks; this sport on the other hand, the oldest organized sport of North American origin, is the official summer sport of Canada.
  • While Lake Superior is the largest freshwater lake in the world and, therefore, the largest lake in Canada, it is located within both Canada and the United States; the largest lake solely in Canada, however, located in the Northwest Territories far from the Great Lakes, is this.
  • This is a group of scantily clad women even gay men would get in line to see, especially if they had $1M.
  • This Northern Manitoba town is one of the best places in the world to observe Polar Bears in their natural habitat, named after an English Prime Minister.
  • Covering 9% of its surface, Canada is home to more of these than every other country in the world combined.
  • This master of literature wrote a 1992 novel that was adapted into the 1996 Academy Award winner for Best Picture.
  • Arguably the most well-known Canadian novelist of the modern day, this prolific author is responsible for such works as The Handmaid’s Tale and Alias Grace.
  • A massive wildfire swept through this city in 2016, an extremely important place for Canada’s oilsands industry, becoming the costliest disaster in Canadian history.
  • Not only does Canada use colourful dollar bills - a source of friendly ridicule from its American neighbours - but starting in 2011, Canada also began abandoning the common paper bills in favour of ones made out of this.
  • This Halifax-born hockey player scored Team Canada’s game-winning overtime goal in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics to win the gold medal.
  • These are two extremely iconic characters in Marvel’s X-Men franchise who are canonically Canadian. One of them is even played on the big screen by a Canadian actor who famously brought Pikachu to life in the successful live action adaptation of Detective Pikachu.
  • On October 17, 2018, the day after my birthday, through the Cannabis Act enacted by this major political party, Canada became the second nation in the world to fully legalize recreational marijuana.
  • Canada is the world’s 9th largest nominal GDP. It is the fourth largest exporter of these two important natural resources, contributing to its reputation as a global energy superpower.

Alirhgt, just purely for funsies, I'm going to take a stab at these off the top of my head and without the aid of an internet search engine. My answers will be inserted into your quote under the questions in Red.

Remaining questions. Feel free to answer them, i will post the answers after work!

• This iconic landmark stood as the world’s tallest free-standing structure from 1975 until the construction of the Burj Khalifa in 2007.
  • What is the CN Tower?
  • This federal leader was the father of the first Prime Minister in Canadian history to be related to another.
  • Who is PM Trudeau (the first one—Pierre Elliot, I think his name was)?
  • This prolific actor has many "layers" to their career, though they are primarily known for two iconic roles baby.
  • Just two?! I would say Mike Myers is known for at least THREE iconic roles, baby. Wayne from Waynes World, Austin Powers, and Shrek.
  • This popular skiing destination, the largest public ski resort in North America and a venue for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, is famous for the Peak 2 Peak Gondola which used to be the longest free span gondola line in the world and remains the highest above ground.
  • Buuuuh... Pass.
  • This province, originally a British Colony on the Atlantic Ocean, became a dominion in the early 20th century, reverted back to colony status in the 1930s, and then in 1949 became the 10th and final province to join Canadian confederation.
  • What is Prince Edward Island?
  • The Bell Homestead National Historic Site is the first house Alexander Graham Bell and his family had owned in North America after relocating from Scotland and is where Bell’s early experiments leading to the invention of the telephone were conducted, located in this Canadian city.
  • What is Hamilton, Ontario?
  • One of the most successful filmmakers of all time, this acclaimed director has dealt with sinking ships and extra terrestrials and discovered that groundbreaking special effects can propel one to the upper heights of the box office.
  • Who is James Cameron? For bonus points, I'll throw in which city he was born in. That would be Kapuskasing, a tiny ass town that is ridiculously far north of Toronto. Like a 12-hour drive north. I've actually been there! Back when I was fighting forest fires for the Ontario government. When Americans imagine what Canada must be like, they probably imagine Kapuskasing.
  • Heard you’d do anything for this gold rush, which occurred in the late 19th century after gold was discovered in the Yukon Territory; upwards of 100,000 people traveled to the region between 1897 and 1899, mostly via ports of southeastern Alaska.
  • Say what now? Skip.
  • A well-liked design amongst Canadians and tourists alike, the Northwest Territories abandons the traditional rectangular license plate design in favour of a plate in the shape of this popular ursine creature.
  • What is Winnie the Pooh?
  • This delicious Canadian treat consists of a coconut crumble base with a layer of custard in the middle and hardened chocolate on top, named after a coastal city on Vancouver Island.
  • Uuuhm... Beaver tails?
  • Ice hockey is the national winter sport of Canada and its national league is one of the most popular events to watch on Canadian and American television sport networks; this sport on the other hand, the oldest organized sport of North American origin, is the official summer sport of Canada.
  • What is Lacross?
  • While Lake Superior is the largest freshwater lake in the world and, therefore, the largest lake in Canada, it is located within both Canada and the United States; the largest lake solely in Canada, however, located in the Northwest Territories far from the Great Lakes, is this.
  • I have no idea. Pass.
  • This is a group of scantily clad women even gay men would get in line to see, especially if they had $1M.
  • Huh?
  • This Northern Manitoba town is one of the best places in the world to observe Polar Bears in their natural habitat, named after an English Prime Minister.
  • Skip.
  • Covering 9% of its surface, Canada is home to more of these than every other country in the world combined.
  • What are trees? Do we have more trees than the rest of the world? That can't be right, can it? No way is that right. I mean we have a lot of ****ing trees for sure, but like, not more than the rest of the world combined. Right? So maybe.... Mountains? Yeah, I'm going with mountains. "What are mountains?" Finaly answer.
  • This master of literature wrote a 1992 novel that was adapted into the 1996 Academy Award winner for Best Picture.
  • Pass.
  • Arguably the most well-known Canadian novelist of the modern day, this prolific author is responsible for such works as The Handmaid’s Tale and Alias Grace.
  • I read comic books, sooooo..... Pass.
  • A massive wildfire swept through this city in 2016, an extremely important place for Canada’s oilsands industry, becoming the costliest disaster in Canadian history.
  • You know, I should know the name of this Albertan city, considering I was actually fighting forest fires in 2016, and while I was personally stationed in Saskatchewan at the time (which also had some serious fires that year, though nobody talks about that), other crews from my base, people I knew and worked with, were out there in Alberta dealing with this insane unstoppable inferno. There were literally tornadoes made out of fire. Fire-tornadoes. I **** you not, look up the videos. But nah... Though I remember the details of this city's harrowing story vividly, and could point it to you on a map, I can't for the life of me remember it's name off the top of my head. But like, I should get half-points for this I feel like.
  • Not only does Canada use colourful dollar bills - a source of friendly ridicule from its American neighbours - but starting in 2011, Canada also began abandoning the common paper bills in favour of ones made out of this.
  • Uhm. What is plastic? Are our bills plastic? They feel plastic-y. I honestly don't know what they are made of TBH.
  • This Halifax-born hockey player scored Team Canada’s game-winning overtime goal in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics to win the gold medal.
  • Who is Sidney Crosby?
  • These are two extremely iconic characters in Marvel’s X-Men franchise who are canonically Canadian. One of them is even played on the big screen by a Canadian actor who famously brought Pikachu to life in the successful live action adaptation of Detective Pikachu.
  • Who are Deadpool and Wolverine? aka Wade Wilson and James Howlett / Logan? Ryan Reynolds played Deadpool. Durh.
  • On October 17, 2018, the day after my birthday, through the Cannabis Act enacted by this major political party, Canada became the second nation in the world to fully legalize recreational marijuana.
  • You're a Libra? Noice. Libras are hott. So says this Pisces who's dated 3 of them. What? I have a thing for Libras okay?
  • Canada is the world’s 9th largest nominal GDP. It is the fourth largest exporter of these two important natural resources, contributing to its reputation as a global energy superpower.
  • What is Lumber (we have a lot of trees) and Oil?

So how'd I do?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Answers (two days late):
This iconic landmark stood as the world’s tallest free-standing structure from 1975 until the construction of the Burj Khalifa in 2007. - CN Tower. Located on the shore of Lake Ontario in Toronto. Standing at a height of 553.3 metres (1,815 ft), it remains the tallest free-standing structure in the Western Hemisphere (it is not technically a building as it is simply a telecommunications tower - regardless, it is taller than any buildings in the Americas). The tower features a rotating restaurant that overlooks downtown Toronto, an observation deck with glass floors, and a gift shop.
This federal leader was the father of the first Prime Minister in Canadian history to be related to another. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau. He was Prime Minister of Canada from 1968-1979 and again from 1980-1984. He was the father of current Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. He led the Liberal Party of Canada until his resignation in 1984, when Conservative leader Brian Mulroney was destroying him in the polls. He passed away in September, 2000 to prostate cancer, 2 years after his youngest son Michel Trudeau had died in an avalanche. Justin Trudeau later became, not only the first prime minister to have been a direct descendant of another, but also the youngest prime minister in Canadian history.
This prolific actor has many "layers" to their career, though they are primarily known for two iconic roles baby. - Mike Myers. The roles I was referring to are Shrek and Austin Powers, but Zinger buddy is correct in that I should also have included Wayne's World as one of his iconic roles.
This popular skiing destination, the largest public ski resort in North America and a venue for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, is famous for the Peak 2 Peak Gondola which used to be the longest free span gondola line in the world and remains the highest above ground. - Whistler Blackcomb in Whistler, British Columbia. The resort holds many records, including largest ski resort in North America, largest uphill lift capacity in North America, largest vertical drop in North America (until 2008, when it was surpassed by Revelstoke Mountain Resort in Revelstoke, British Columbia), busiest ski resort in North America (on an average year, with more than 2 million annual visitors), and its Peak 2 Peak Gondola is the highest free-span gondola line above ground while previously being the longest in the world. The resort is known for its impeccable snow quality and was used for several events during the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.
This province, originally a British Colony on the Atlantic Ocean, became a dominion in the early 20th century, reverted back to colony status in the 1930s, and then in 1949 became the 10th and final province to join Canadian confederation. - Newfoundland & Labrador. Newfies are often made fun of in Canadian culture for their distinctive accent and linguistic tendencies, which is likely a result of the province having been an independent colony until quite recently, when it joined Canada officially in 1949 as the tenth and final province. The island of Newfoundland lacks a direct road link to the Canadian mainland, only being vehicle accessible by ferry, while the large area of Labrador is largely uninhabited, being primarily used for iron ore mining while also being the location of the largest Military Airbase in Northeastern North America.
The Bell Homestead National Historic Site is the first house Alexander Graham Bell and his family had owned in North America after relocating from Scotland and is where Bell’s early experiments leading to the invention of the telephone were conducted, located in this Canadian city. - Brantford, Ontario. While the telephone was actually made in Boston, Bell always said that he invented it in Canada but made it in the United States. His family home in Brantford is now designated as a National Historic Site and is used as a museum for both Bell's family and the telephone.
One of the most successful filmmakers of all time, this acclaimed director has dealt with sinking ships and extra terrestrials and discovered that groundbreaking special effects can propel one to the upper heights of the box office. - James Cameron. Responsible for Titanic and Avatar, two of the biggest box office hits of all time, as well as Aliens. Avatar was considered a marvel in special effects when it released in theatres and Cameron has been consistently praised for his filmmaking. Titanic remains the only film in the $2 billion club, and one of only three in the $1 billion club, to have been released in the 20th century (along with Jurassic Park and The Phantom Menace).
Heard you’d do anything for this gold rush, which occurred in the late 19th century after gold was discovered in the Yukon Territory; upwards of 100,000 people traveled to the region between 1897 and 1899, mostly via ports of southeastern Alaska. - The Klondike Gold Rush. Mostly settled around the Klondike River in the Yukon. The Klondike Bar, which famously uses the catchphrase "Heard you'd do anything for a Klondike", is named after the same river. To this day, Yukon Territory is home to several gold mining operations and is a hotspot in Canada and the Arctic.
A well-liked design amongst Canadians and tourists alike, the Northwest Territories abandons the traditional rectangular license plate design in favour of a plate in the shape of this popular ursine creature. - Polar Bear. One of the few places in the world to use a different shape for their license plates than a standard rectangle. This design was adopted in 1970 to celebrate the territory's centennial and has been used ever since, making vehicles from the territory instantly recognizable!

Here is an example:

22184387_web1_200723-TDT-Editorial2-Brightened_1.jpeg
This delicious Canadian treat consists of a coconut crumble base with a layer of custard in the middle and hardened chocolate on top, named after a coastal city on Vancouver Island. - Nanaimo Bar. Honestly one of the best treats I have ever had and a dessert staple all across the country. These delicious treats require no baking, so they are relatively easy to make. The origin of the treat is unknown, though evidence of its existence has been traced back as early as the nineteenth century. They are named after the city of Nanaimo on the eastern coast of Vancouver Island in British Columbia.

If any of you ever get the chance to visit Canada, this is a definite must have!
Ice hockey is the national winter sport of Canada and its national league is one of the most popular events to watch on Canadian and American television sport networks; this sport on the other hand, the oldest organized sport of North American origin, is the official summer sport of Canada. - Lacrosse. The exact origins of the sport are unknown, but it is largely recognized as the earliest organized sport to have originated in North America, with the Indigenous peoples having played it (or at least a very primitive version of Lacrosse) long before the colonial age in the seventeenth century. Lacrosse was named the National Summer Sport of Canada in 1994, the same year hockey was named the National Winter Sport.
While Lake Superior is the largest freshwater lake in the world and, therefore, the largest lake in Canada, it is located within both Canada and the United States; the largest lake solely in Canada, however, located in the Northwest Territories far from the Great Lakes, is this. - Great Bear Lake. Located in the Northwest Territories, it is also the eighth largest lake in the world and the largest in the Arctic. While the lake is huge, it is largely uninhabited, with only 2 small Indigenous communities on its shores and no roads to connect it to the rest of the road network. Great Slave Lake, which is located within the same territory south of Great Bear Lake, is the tenth largest lake in the world and the deepest in North America; the capital city of NT, Yellowknife, is situated on its shores.
This is a group of scantily clad women even gay men would get in line to see, especially if they had $1M. - Barenaked Ladies. A very popular band in Canada, the Barenaked Ladies achieved international popularity with the songs "One Week", "Brian Wilson", and "It's All Been Done". Interestingly, their most well-known song may be the theme song for The Big Bang Theory!

As for the clues in the question, "Get In Line" and "If I Had $1000000" are two of their songs.
This Northern Manitoba town is one of the best places in the world to observe Polar Bears in their natural habitat, named after an English Prime Minister. - Churchill, Manitoba. Despite being disconnected from the rest of the road network, this town is viewable by Google Street View, through which you can see polar bears in the wild!
Covering 9% of its surface, Canada is home to more of these than every other country in the world combined. - Lakes. Canada is home to roughly 60% of the world's lakes, with some of the world's largest being within its borders.
This master of literature wrote a 1992 novel that was adapted into the 1997 Academy Award winner for Best Picture. - Michael Ondaatje. He has had a few popular novels under his name, but his most well known is probably The English Patient, the film adaptation of which won the 1997 Academy Award for Best Picture, one of the eight total Academy Awards the film won that year. Ondaatje's other most famous work would likely be The Collected Works of Billy the Kid: Left-Handed Poems.
Arguably the most well-known Canadian novelist of the modern day, this prolific author is responsible for such works as The Handmaid’s Tale and Alias Grace. - Margaret Atwood. Without question the Canadian novelist who has had the most success outside of Canada's borders, with The Handmaid's Tale in particular being an extremely popular novel in the United States. She is well known for her animal rights and environmental activism. In 2017, partially as a response to the 2016 American Federal Election, The Handmaid's Tale became the most-read book of the year on Amazon.
A massive wildfire swept through this city in 2016, an extremely important place for Canada’s oilsands industry, becoming the costliest disaster in Canadian history. - Fort McMurray, Alberta. First being spotted as a wildfire on May 1, by May 3 the entire city had been evacuated with over 88,000 people fleeing their homes in the largest fire-related evacuation event in the province's history. By May 4, it was reported around 1600 buildings in the city had been destroyed by the fire in what was described as a catastrophic loss. It took a month before even the first people were allowed to return to the city, and by the end of the summer many parts of the city were still under a boil water advisory. It wasn't until July 5 that the fire was declared under control, having burned over 590,000 hectares by this point, not being fully extinguished until August 2. With damages equaling roughly $9.9billion CAD, it is the costliest disaster in Canadian history and one of the largest evacuation events in the country. Remarkably, the fire resulted in no direct casualties, with the only fatalities occurring as a result of a car accident during the evacuation process. Alberta's oilsands industry was damaged in the fire and took years to recover.
Not only does Canada use colourful dollar bills - a source of friendly ridicule from its American neighbours - but starting in 2011, Canada also began abandoning the common paper bills in favour of ones made out of this. - Polymer. In 2011, Canada began slowly ceasing production on paper bills in favour of a complex polymer design, which resulted in bills that are very difficult to tear and even more difficult to counterfeit. Other countries that have done similar things include Australia (the first country to do so), Nigeria, Vietnam, Nicaragua, among others. The polymer bills have a much longer lifespan which decreases manufacturing costs and they are more environmentally friendly than traditional paper bills.
This Halifax-born hockey player scored Team Canada’s game-winning overtime goal in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics to win the gold medal. - Sidney Crosby. Currently the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Crosby has consistently been ranked among the greatest hockey players in the world and has fans all over the world. He holds the honour of scoring the goal that allowed Team Canada to take home the gold medal - one of the 14 that Canada had won, breaking the record for most gold medals won at a Winter Olympics.
These are two extremely iconic characters in Marvel’s X-Men franchise who are canonically Canadian. One of them is even played on the big screen by a Canadian actor who famously brought Pikachu to life in the successful live action adaptation of Detective Pikachu. - Wolverine (James Howlett) and Deadpool (Wade Wilson). Deadpool is played by Canadian actor Ryan Reynolds who famously played the voice of Pikachu in the Detective Pikachu adaptation. Wolverine is said to be from Cold Lake, Alberta, while Deadpool is said to be from Vancouver but sources differ on his actual Canadian origin (Reynolds is from Vancouver).
On October 17, 2018, the day after my birthday, through the Cannabis Act enacted by this major political party, Canada became the second nation in the world to fully legalize recreational marijuana. - Liberal Party of Canada. The party is led by Justin Trudeau, who signed the Cannabis act in 2018, and is the party currently running the country. Legalizing marijuana was Trudeau's primary campaign promise during the 2015 election and is a large contributing factor towards his eventual win. As of October 17, 2018, marijuana is fully legalized and regulated all over the country, with laws being similar to those of smoking cigarettes. Canada was only the second country worldwide to fully legalize the drug, following Georgia, though Canada had legalized its medical use as early as 2001.
Canada is the world’s 9th largest nominal GDP. It is the fourth largest exporter of these two important natural resources, contributing to its reputation as a global energy superpower. - Petroleum and natural gas. Which honestly makes me question why gas prices here are so ridiculously high since we produce a ton of it, especially in my province of Alberta. Valued at $33.2 trillion USD, Canada has the third highest value of natural resources among all countries in the world. Other important industries include logging, energy, and oil, all of which contribute significantly to Canada's global trade power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom