• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Can You "see" Music?

I can, for lack of better terms, "see" music. Whenever I close my eyes and truly listen to music, I can see things happening in my mind. I don't mean simply playing the music video in my head (though I will do that with songs that I don't find very interesting). I see things that are vastly different from what would be in the videos, even after seeing them. The music in the LoZ series is a great example. I've seen many wonderful things listening to Zelda music. Some music I will associate with certain things (I normally see things relating to the Legend of Zelda when I listen to music from the games), and I see almost random visions with others. I've seen cities burning to the ground, endless desert wastelands, and vast open fields. All from music. So...

Can anyone else "see" music, or am I the only one? If you can, what kinds of things have you seen?

I do this often times as well. For me these are typically just daydreams that are somehow inspired by the music. If there's a very descriptive narrative in the song, I envision that; but if the song is a bit more ambiguous, I usually picture myself in some heroic situation like saving a hot girl from an armed killer or a burning building. :bleh:

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
Yes, I usually see landscapes though and not people or things. I wrote one song on the piano that sounded to me what an ice cavern would be like in sonic form. I changed the keyboard to a xylophone sound and even thought of the Ice Cavern from Zelda :)

I don't experience synesthesia, but I definitely associate colors with chords and different notes. I'm sure many people listen to say B minor and think of blue or violet. G major is a warm gold color :)
See what I mean?

ALL THE TIME. :'D One of my absolute favorite things to do when I was a child was to lie in bed with a pair of clunky headphones and a pile of various orchestrated soundtracks. I'd create a story that would attach itself to a certain album/soundtrack, and every time I would put that same CD back in and listen, the entire store would repeat itself-- so if I ever wanted to re experience it, there it was.

But aside from that, I'm not going to lie, I've been brought to tears more than often just from the things I imagine to music-- Zelda music in particular has caused quite a few beautiful images, adventures, and imaginary lands to cross through my mind. It's a wonderful thing. <3

theoathtoorder said:
I don't experience synesthesia, but I definitely associate colors with chords and different notes. I'm sure many people listen to say B minor and think of blue or violet. G major is a warm gold color
See what I mean?
That's the other kind of "seeing" music:). I know a few people who do that, but I personally don't. I think it's because I have little to no formal training when it comes to music. I know how to play several songs on the piano, but I couldn't tell you what the difference in sound is between those two notes. I couldn't even tell you what note I'm hearing if you asked me:lol:

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
this is an interesting thread. I think that, by making music videos, people can express what they "See" while they make their music. So music videos can be the way of making visible what they offered on the song. (Not always, though) Also, you can always get an image in your mind by listening to good music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom