• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Can You Beat Skyward Sword Without a Shield?

Very possible, just beat hero mode on SS with no upgrades, shields, and 6 hearts,no potions either just stools and the heart medal

Wow. My play style is so passive and counter-attack driven that just the thought of playing without a shield is mesmerizing.

Were there any enemies that were particularly tough without a shield?

I actually used my shield a lot during the first part of the battle against Demise. I would shield-bash his three consecutive sword attacks and counter with a shot of my own. I got the timing down pretty quick and did it without taking much damage. I've since seen videos with more more aggressive approaches that work well too.

I love having more than one way to defeat a boss. Makes for good replay value.
Cheers,

Last edited:

Fig

The Altruist
Personally, I believe it is possible for a person to beat Skyward Sword without the use of a shield. For the first temple and boss on my first time playing Skyward Sword, I forgot I had a shield and took out Ghirahim without taking damage. I still can't believe I forgot to equip my shield. :D

godess reborn

Blame The Cricket
It's certainly possible, but you would lose a very handy piece of gear. In Skyward Sword, not only can you use it to block attacks, you can also use the shield bash, which is very good to have when in sword fights. It can deflect projectiles fired by enemies, and without the shield they would be impossible to destroy. You can get through the game without ever equipting a shield, it just means you can't use the shield bash or kill a few irksome enemies.

It's certainly possible, but you would lose a very handy piece of gear. In Skyward Sword, not only can you use it to block attacks, you can also use the shield bash, which is very good to have when in sword fights. It can deflect projectiles fired by enemies, and without the shield they would be impossible to destroy. You can get through the game without ever equipting a shield, it just means you can't use the shield bash or kill a few irksome enemies.
Shield bash is totally kool but you can use the sword to deflect the projectiles, both missiles & rocks.
The shield was 100% optional in this game when it came to killing monsters.
There was that one practice Log though, in the Training Hall, where you had to have it.

The Hyrulian

Hero Of Time
I believe you probably could play through any Zelda game without a shield, it would just make some games much, much harder. But on the other hand, some games the shield is not necessary to actually complete the game. For instance, Ocarina Of Time is impossible to beat without a shield, (the fire and ice boss) and some games it doesn't matter as much.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I did my minimalist run without a shield (otherwise it wouldn't be a minimalist). It was actually a lot easier than I thought. Whenever you would shield bash, just backflip or side-jump instead. Simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom