• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Can We Improve BoTW's Climbing?

How Good Were The BoTW Climb Mechanics?

• Meh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor

• I literally never climbed in BoTW

• Not a Single Thing Right with the Climbing

• Total voters

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I have seen and heard little if not ZeRo complaints about the climbing in BoTW besides the rain.

Is it perfect already? Is it fine but not perfect? Does it need a lot of work? I would like your thoughts on this subject

:bubsy::bubsy::bubsy:

Last edited:

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I think the climbing mechanic is fine, (it might be one of the few aspects of the game Nintendo did well) aside from the “slippery when wet” aspect. It’s more than frustrating not being able to go where I want to go, or continue exploring an area because it’s raining. And it rains far too often that it actually impedes gameplay and my overall enjoyment of the game.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I think the climbing mechanic is fine, (it might be one of the few aspects of the game Nintendo did well) aside from the “slippery when wet” aspect. It’s more than frustrating not being able to go where I want to go, or continue exploring an area because it’s raining. And it rains far too often that it actually impedes gameplay and my overall enjoyment of the game.
Yeah that rain would have been fine if it was rare. The fact that it is like 30% of the time is what made it so bad

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I liked climbing a good bit, but I think we could improve on it, even just a little. I thought climbing added a ton to the game, and made exploration feel good, and it's weird to think of a future 3D Zelda without the mechanic.

Zelda already has the grappling hook/hookshot, etc, so why not combine the best of both worlds and give us this item to make climbing a little quicker/easier? I think that's a good start, and it gives us a familiar item back. This idea would sort of be eliminated by a skill you obtain later on in BOTW, but it could still have its uses.

Anyway to make life a bit easier with the mechanic, but not necessarily restricting you would be great in my opinion.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I can't really think of many improvements that climbing needs. It had reasonable limits and ways to deal with those limits. You can climb pretty much anything outside of shrines, which really opens up the world even more. Honestly it would feel like a huge step back if they were to drop climbing in the next big installment. I really can't imagine what else climbing needs.

I think it was good, but could have benefitted from some late-game upgrades.
Early in the game the rain was an interesting obstacle, but later in the game it could become frustrating (especially when you're half way up a tall cliff when it starts)... so maybe some gear to allow you to climb in the rain would have been a nice addition.
There's also a lot of potential for something like the hookshot either to speed up climbing or to add some more interesting obstacles... they could even make it upgradable so that it's not too overpowered when you first get it.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
Like everyone else, I think the only complaint I have would be in regards to climbing in the rain. Which really isn't awful, just an inconvenience at times. But I love the new climbing mechanic! Hope it's here to stay.

well if you take stamina into effect then it would be pretty hard to climb tall mountains but that the point. However, people have found ways around this by pressing b on sloped edges.

I think that the climbing in BotW was just fine. The rain us pretty frustrating, but now that I know how to whistle-run and have Ravioli's Gale it's not a problem.

My issue is less about the climbing mechanic specifically, but more so the lack of flexible things you can acquire to improve upon it.

Climbing in the rain could have been countered with an upgrade of sorts.
The Climbing Gear's benefit should have really been a passive upgrade or something.

At its core the mechanic is great, but like most other things in the game, you see very little enhancements to it as you progress throughout the game.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Personally I hate the idea of being able to climb anything. It makes it impossible for the developers to create chokepoints or genuine obstacles to make the world dangerous and engaging, it also forces them to horribly and sloppily segregate shrines from the overworld because climbing is too game breaking to be allowed in the segments with the core gameplay.

As for the climbing itself, my main problem is that it's way too slow and it gets boring.

Think the climbing mechanic was well done. Being able to explore more as you increase your stamina & with Revali's gale was a good way to keep the openness of the world. I think having a hew more climbing specific items like the clawshots or grip ring for rain wouldn't go amiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom